Rhodiola rosea (pink, golden root) is a grassy perennial plant of the Crassula family. It has a distinctive feature: the root and rhizome of the color of bronze or old gilding with a noticeable pearl luster, thanks to which it received its second “precious” name. The plant is listed in the Red Book of the Russian Federation.
It is found in regions with a temperate and cold climate, including Great Britain, North America and Ireland, it grows well in alpine mountain meadows (in the Pyrenees, Alps, Carpathians), it is found in Kazakhstan, and is grown in China, Bulgaria, and India. In the Russian Federation it is found in Altai and the Urals, in the mountainous regions of the Far East, Eastern and Western Siberia, in the polar regions of Yakutia, on the coasts of the Barents and White seas. The plant is undemanding to light and heat, but needs abundant moisture. It grows on rocks and stony placers, in the plain of the tundra, on the banks of mountain rivers and streams.
It has long been used in folk and official medicine as an effective adaptogen that increases resistance to adverse environmental factors, as well as a stimulator of the central nervous system. Included in the group of adaptogens, combines and competes with eleutherococcus and ginseng.
The rhizome is horizontal, powerful, covered with a cork of brown (bronze) color, has thin adventitious roots. On a break, the root is white, has a bitter-astringent taste, it has a special aroma, similar to the smell of a rose.
Most often the plant has several (10-15 pieces) of not branched upright stems, 10-40 cm in height, less often there is only one stem. The leaves are alternate, sit on the stems, have an oblong-ovate, elliptical or pointed form with a solid or serrate-toothed upper part.
Flowering occurs in June-July, the fruits reach maturity in July-August. The inflorescence is many-flowered, has a corymboid shape. Flowers yellow same-sex, four-, less often five-membered. The fruits are upright green leaves.
Propagated by seeds and vegetatively.
Collection, harvesting and breeding
For the future, harvest the root of Rhodiola rosea (plant age 3-4 years). Do it in the period from late July to September. Roots are dug, thoroughly washed from the ground particles in cool water, cleaned of brown cork and rotten, dry areas. Cut the rhizome into pieces, each 10 cm long and dry them at T 50 degrees in the dryer.
The finished raw material on a fracture has a pinkish or white color. If the root of a brown shade is on a fracture, it is unsuitable for use, since it loses its beneficial properties. Store dry raw materials in canvas bags in a dark place. Shelf life - 3 years.
Most often, the plant is propagated by seeds: planted in late autumn or winter in a box with nutrient soil, providing good ventilation (clay is placed on the bottom). The soil is pre-moistened with a weak solution of potassium permanganate, slightly compacted. Seeds are evenly distributed over the surface and lightly pressed, covered with soil (layer of 2 mm), covered with film and put on the balcony. In March, the box is transferred to a warm, lighted place, and sprouts will appear in a couple of days. They can be transplanted with the appearance of two true leaves.
It is possible to propagate a plant (which is at least 2 years old) by dividing the rhizome into 2 parts, which are planted in prepared holes with humus, and they also put compost on top, leaving the kidneys to renew on the surface.
At the root of the plant contains more than 140 useful elements, which determine the complex positive effect.
- Phenols and their derivatives: tyrosol, salidroside. Strengthens the circulatory system, protects the vessels from narrowing. Prevent cholesterol oxidation,
- Carbohydrates: glucose, fructose, sedoheptulose, sucrose. Participate in energy exchange,
- Organic acids:
- oxalic (stimulates the secretion of the stomach and the bowels),
- malic (normalizes digestion, improves the condition of blood vessels, improves eyesight and is involved in metabolism),
- amber (neutralizes free radicals, reduces uric acid levels, restores joint mobility, stimulates insulin production),
- lemon (increases appetite, stimulates cell renewal, activates immunity),
- Terpenoids: Rosiridin, Rosiridol. Increase tissue resistance to damage,
- Flavonoids: kaempferol, astragalin, 7-rhamnoside kaempferol, rhodiolin, tricin, rhodionine, 5-glucoside and 7-glucoside of tricin, rhodiosin, acetylrodalgin, 8-methylgerbacetin. Reduce vascular permeability, normalize pressure and heart rate, reduce intraocular pressure, participate in the process of bile formation, stimulate the function of the adrenal cortex and regulate the production of urine,
- Glycosides. Characterized by cumulative and cardiotonic properties, normalize the work of the cardiovascular system. They have a calming and diuretic effect,
- Trace elements: silver, copper, manganese, zinc, involved in vital processes,
- Anthraquinones. Strengthen immunity, participate in the formation of immune cells. Have a laxative effect,
- Coumarins. They have antitumor, anticoagulant and anticoagulant effects. Affect the genetic apparatus of the tumor, thereby inhibiting the ability of cells to metastasize,
- Essential oil. Possesses bactericidal, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory, wound healing, anesthetic effects,
- Tannins. They change the structure of proteins and are involved in the formation of a protective albuminate film, which has a bactericidal or bacteriostatic effect. Have an astringent effect
- Alkaloids. They have antispasmodic, hemostatic, analgesic, sedative and hypotensive effects,
- Sterols. Reduce cholesterol, strengthen the cardiovascular system, increase immunity, affect the quality and number of helper cells that protect against the development of autoimmune reactions,
- Aromatic compounds: rosavin, rosin, rosarin, cinnamon alcohol. Improve the work of the central nervous system.
In the composition of the essential oil found aliphatic alcohols with a straight chain and monoterpenic hydrocarbons. The composition of the essential oil varies depending on the place of growth of the plant.
The aboveground part of the plant is saturated with organic acids (malic, citric, oxalic, succinic), phenols and their derivatives, phenol carbonic acids (gallic, coffee), coumarins, tannins, flavonoids.
Golden root (Rhodiola) is characterized by many beneficial properties:
- is a powerful antioxidant and adaptogen,
- protects the body from the development of cancer and prevents the metastasis of tumors,
- increases blood pressure
- improves heart function
- fights pathogens,
- has anti-inflammatory action,
- promotes biliary excretion
- stops bleeding,
- restores the body after overwork, tones well,
- has a tonic effect and increases the body's resistance to the influence of adverse environmental factors,
- has a neuroprotective effect,
- stimulates the central nervous system,
- maintains a high level of energy potential of the brain,
- improves cognitive function
- accelerates oxidation processes,
- accelerates wound healing.
The beginning of scientific research was laid in the 60s of the 20th century. In 1961 an expedition led by G. Krylov was conducted, during which scientists managed to find a plant in the taiga of the mountainous Altai. According to the research results, the plant was introduced into scientific medicine and began to be used in the form of a liquid extract with adaptogenic and stimulating properties.
Numerous studies have been conducted to study the effect of plants on the central nervous system. Plant preparations alter the bioelectrical activity of the brain and improve cognitive functions: due to the increase in resistance to stress factors, memory and the ability to memorize information are improved.
It is reported about the positive effect of plant drugs to eliminate the side effects of psychotropic therapy for schizophrenia.
A number of studies have proven that roseola rosea can improve physical performance. In an experiment conducted on animals (white rats), a decrease in the rate of glycolysis, the amount of lactic acid in muscles, the preservation of high levels of phospholipids in muscles and liver, and blood sugar after 2 hours of swimming in individuals treated with the plant preparation was recorded.
The possibility of using plant preparations as hepatoprotectors is also being considered. In animals, it has been proven to be effective as a therapeutic and prophylactic agent in liver damage induced by organophosphorus compounds.
Rhodiola rosea - a powerful adaptogen that has a visible effect after the first use of the drug! But you can not take daily plant preparations without a reason. Constant stimulation of the body, even if with herbal preparations, can lead to the opposite effect.
Rhodiola is used in many diseases and pathological conditions, and is characterized by a whole range of pharmacological properties. The most common indications for the use of plant preparations:
- poor appetite
- metabolic disorders,
- physical and mental fatigue,
- asthenic condition after long illness,
- inflammatory processes
- allergic reactions
- radiation damage (acute and chronic),
- reduced visual acuity
- bad hearing
- pulmonary tuberculosis,
- oncological diseases,
- bone fracture
- primary and secondary amenorrhea,
- gynecological diseases (adnexitis, polycystic ovary, fibrocystic mastopathy),
- early menopause
- late puberty
- wounds, skin lesions, rashes, boils.
Often used gold root for men and women: helps with impotence and is indicated for many diseases of the female reproductive system. Preparations of the plant strengthen the work of the sex glands, stimulate the ovaries and are widely used in the treatment of early menopause. The plant has a positive effect on potency, and its effectiveness is higher than that of ginseng root.
It is proved that the plant enhances the effect of cytostatics, causing necrosis of cancer cells: the shell, nucleus and parts of the cell are destroyed, which leads to its death.
The unique plant has found its application in cosmetology. The extract of the golden root has a positive effect on the fading, sensitive skin, improves its overall condition. The rich biologically active composition allows the use of plant extracts in various creams to give them stimulating and adaptogenic properties, slowing down the aging process of the skin, increasing resistance to adverse environmental factors.
Cosmetics with a golden root:
- normalize metabolic processes in the skin,
- improve energy metabolism in cells
- accelerates skin regeneration,
- minimizes transepidermal fluid loss,
- increase the barrier function of the skin,
- slow down the aging process
- reduce the level of depression.
The most popular cosmetics with a golden root: day cream for sensitive skin from Natura Siberika, face cream "Pure Line", day cream "Recipes of grandmother Agafi."
Vis Rhodiola Rose Extract Capsules
Herbal complex with golden root and vitamin C, characterized by a stimulating, tonic and tonic effect. It is recommended to improve physical and mental performance, acclimatization during flights, recovery of health after prolonged illnesses. Used in sports - before and after workouts, it helps to achieve better results and recover from the load rather.
Dry vegetable raw materials used for the preparation of water and alcohol preparations, decoctions, teas, which are characterized by high adaptogens and stimulating properties. The instructions to the golden root describes how to prepare this or that tool.
Also, the plant is part of various herbal teas and fees.
Golden root tincture on vodka for hypotension
- Take 50 gr. dry the root of the plant, grind to a powdery consistency, pour 2 cups of vodka. Insist in the dark for 14 days, shake occasionally. Strain the tincture.
- Take 20-30 drops 3 times a day. 30 minutes before meals. You can start taking with 5 drops, gradually bring the volume to the recommended.
Golden root: medicinal properties and contraindications
The universal medicinal plant is considered the golden root, the healing properties of which make it possible to get rid of many ailments. The plant is known by other names - Rhodiola pink, Siberian or pink root. It is used both in traditional medicine and official. Usually used for medicinal purposes, the root of the plant. It contains about 140 bioactive components, including:
- aromatic compounds
- glucose, fructose, sucrose,
- organic acids
- essential oil,
- phenol carboxylic acids,
- trace elements - silver, zinc, manganese copper and many others.
The aerial part of the golden root is also saturated with useful substances - oxalic, malic, citric, succinic acids, phenols, phenol carbonic acids, coumarins, tannins, flavonoids. Drugs prepared from the golden root, have a pronounced adaptogenic effect. They are especially useful for improving vitality. The use of drugs helps with physical and mental overstrain, chronic fatigue, accelerates the recovery process after serious diseases.
Pink root in its properties is not inferior to ginseng. The plant has low toxicity, is not addictive, has almost no contraindications. It has a variety of healing properties:
- increases mental and physical activity
- normalizes metabolism
- improves memory and concentration
- increases the protective functions of the body,
- strengthens the capillaries and blood vessels
- helps to restore the menstrual cycle
- normalizes blood glucose,
- eliminates irritability, calming the nervous system,
- increases potency
- normalizes reduced blood pressure in case of hypotension,
- neutralizes the activity of cancer cells,
- activates the activity of the thyroid gland.
Tincture on the golden root for colds and heart weakness, nervous diseases and pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract
- Take 10 grams. roots, chop and pour 1 cup boiling water. Leave for 4 hours to infuse and strain.
- Take half a cup 3 times a day. It is externally used as an effective wound-healing agent for treating wounds, cuts, and for rinsing the oral cavity in case of sore throat.
- Improves the work of the heart, blood vessels, making them more durable. It helps with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, uterine bleeding, with impotence, improves the functioning of the thyroid gland and normalizes blood sugar levels. Eliminates headache and toothache. Can be used externally to wipe the skin.
- Take 20 grams. roots, chop and pour 500 ml of boiling water, stand on low heat for 10 minutes. Leave to infuse until cool, then strain.
- Take 50 ml 3 times a day.
- It has a strong stimulating effect on the central nervous system, which is superior to the effect of black teas and coffee. Therefore, to take it every day is not worth it, but only when it is necessary.
- Take 1 tsp. root (pre-crushed) and pour 1 liter of water, boil for 10 minutes. and insist another 40 min. in a warm place.
- Take 2-3 glasses during the day (no later than 4 hours before bedtime), if desired, add sugar or honey to the drink.
Collection to strengthen the immune system
- Take 20 grams. Rhodiola roots, hips and roots zamanihi. Add 15 gr. hawthorn fruit, 15 gr. dry nettle, 10 g. Hypericum herbs, mix. 1 tbsp. collection pour a glass of boiling water, put for 10 minutes on a small fire. Leave on for 4 hours and leave to cover under a lid and strain. The resulting volume is diluted with 200 ml of boiling water.
- Take 70 ml 3 times a day.
Tincture from anemia and diseases of the female reproductive system
- It also helps with age-related collapse, impotence, pulmonary tuberculosis, liver pathologies and diabetes.
- Take 100 grams. chopped roots and pour them 400 ml of good vodka. Put in a dark place for 7 days.
- Take 30-40 drops 3 times a day. 30 minutes before meals.
Collection from colds and disorders of the gastrointestinal tract
- Take in equal parts Rhodiola pink, Bergenia, blackberry leaves, strawberries, raspberries, black currants, flowers of shrubby cinquefoil, St. John's wort flowers and thyme, mix everything. Take 3 tbsp. dry collection and pour them 1 liter of boiling water, insist 60 minutes. Add honey or sugar to taste.
- Take 1-2 cups per day.
- Hypertensive crisis.
- Severe diseases of the cardiovascular and central nervous systems.
- Post-influenza encephalitis.
- Children's age up to 12 years.
- Severe excitability.
- Increased temperature.
- Individual intolerance.
It is very important to observe the dosage described in recipes or prescribed by a doctor - this is a guarantee that no side effects will occur. Preparations are taken no later than 4 hours before bedtime.
In rare cases, the following undesirable effects may develop:
- discomfort in the heart,
In patients who suffer from hypotension caused by menopause, IRR or diencephalitis, plant preparations can lead to a sharp increase or decrease in pressure, which leads to a deterioration of health in general.
With the development of any side effects, treatment is immediately stopped.
Preparation of medicines
Alcohol tincture. The roots of the plant should be well washed and dried, then grind. Fill ½ cans with raw materials, pour in vodka or alcohol, put in a dark place for 3 weeks. Daily medicine must be mixed. The present liquid must be filtered. Take before meals 2 times a day, 15 drops of the product, diluted with boiled water. The course of treatment is 3 weeks. Repeat the course if necessary after a ten-day break.
This medicine is recommended to be taken to improve potency, strengthen the immune system, improve performance, treat tuberculosis, diabetes, neurasthenia, functional disorders of the nervous system, hypotension, and vascular dystonia. The drug helps with stress, chronic fatigue, tumors, disorders of the thyroid gland, menopause. It is recommended to combine reception of a gold root with the medicamentous drugs appointed by the doctor.
Infusion. Pour 20 g of powdered crushed root of Rhodiola rosea with 1 l of water, boil for about 10 minutes, pour into a thermos. Filter this medication during the day. Take 30 minutes before meals for 1 tbsp. l infusion. The duration of treatment is 2 weeks.
Decoction. Pour 1 liter of water 2 tbsp. l pre-crushed root of Rhodiola Rosea, boil until half the liquid has evaporated, then the drug should be drained. It is recommended to drink 120 ml of broth 30 minutes before meals.
Tea. Crush the golden root, 1 tsp. brew 250 ml boiling water, insist about 40 minutes. Drink throughout the day as regular tea. The drink has a pleasant taste, improves mood, is a source of vitality, increases physical and mental activity. Such tea is useful when overworked and depressed. Honey can be added to the drink.
Herbal collection to strengthen the immune system. It will take 20 g of the roots of Rhodiola Rosea and Zamaniha, 20 g of rosehips, 10 g of Hypericum. 1 tbsp. l the herbal mixture needs to be brewed with 250 ml of boiling water, boiled on a low heat for about 10 minutes, leave for 4 hours. Ready infusion filter, pour into it 250 ml of boiling water. Take 3 times a day, 70 ml.
Gold root decoction is recommended to wash to improve the complexion, to refresh tired, sluggish skin. Brew 1 tsp. crushed root 250 ml boiling water, insist for an hour. This decoction is useful to rinse hair after washing, so that they become shiny.
Remedy for impotence. It is necessary to prepare 3 different tinctures: from golden root, Eleutherococcus, Aralia Manchu. To do this, pour the raw material with alcohol in the ratio of 1:10, leave for 21 days in a dark place. Ready tinctures mix, add the infusion of calendula flowers and 3 tbsp. l honey For the preparation of infusion of calendula need 5 g of flowers to brew 100 ml of boiling water, to insist and strain. This tool should be taken during the month, 30 drops 3 times a day. For prophylactic purposes, it is recommended to take it once a year for 2 weeks.
Treatment of joints and diabetes
Joint diseases can be cured using a golden root. Traditional medicine recommends its use inside and out. Treatment with golden root drugs will help get rid of pain, stop inflammation, restore the functionality of the joints.
Alcohol tincture of the golden root can be used for compresses on the affected areas, as well as for rubbing. These procedures should be carried out daily, always warming the affected area afterwards, preferably before bedtime. In conjunction with rubbing and warming compresses, it is recommended to take an infusion of the inside before a meal for 2 tsp. 3 times a day.
Treatment of gold root in diabetes helps to restore the disturbed metabolism, namely, to fill the carbohydrate deficiency. Rhodiola rosea is recommended as an additional means to the main therapy. Need 1 tbsp. l golden root and 1 tbsp. l blueberry leaves pour 400 ml boiling water, leave for 3 hours. Drink infusion of 120 ml before meals 2 times a day.
Another prescription for the treatment of diabetes mellitus: brew 0.5 liters of boiling water of 5 dry bay leaves, infuse for about 4 hours, then strain. To this infusion you need to add 1 tbsp. l alcohol tincture of gold root. Drink this remedy 80 ml three times a day.
What is the golden root
Rhodiola rosea is a medicinal plant, distributed mainly in latitudes with a cold climate (it grows in Russia in Altai, Yakutia, the Urals, Eastern Siberia). The flowering period of the golden root falls on the middle of the summer. The flowers have a yellowish tint, sometimes green, the plant emits a characteristic smell, reminiscent of the smell of rose oil.
The first mention of the healing properties of the golden root date back to 50 AD. The plant was used primarily in Asian countries for the treatment of a wide range of diseases. Rhodiola rosea is composed of essential oils, organic acids, trace elements that destroy microbes, have an immunostimulating effect, accelerate the process of skin regeneration.
The healing properties of Rhodiola Rosea
In Russia, medicine uses this plant to normalize many health problems. Drugs based on the golden root correct the work of the digestive, reproductive, cardiovascular and central nervous systems. In addition, the extract of Rhodiola Rose stimulates the increase in immunity in adults and children, improves physical and psycho-emotional states.
From natural golden root, obtained by drying, make lotions, decoctions for rubbing and ingestion, teas, extract is added to drugs. Also, the plant is used to relieve stress, with severe fatigue, decreased performance, poor memory, joint pain. With colds, dry root is used to improve immunity and drink as a decoction. When toothache make lotions on bleeding gums to relieve inflammation.
Golden root for men
After much research by medicine, it was proved that Rhodiola Rosea for potency is a very effective means of promoting male power. In addition, a few drops of golden root tincture have a stimulating effect on the nervous system. For men, this plant has the following effect: it increases the time of sexual intercourse and prevents rapid ejaculation. Impotence can be cured after regular use for 3 weeks. If there are contraindications or side effects, stop taking it.
In folk medicine
At home, Rhodiola Rosea can be used for almost any therapeutic purpose. Traditional medicine offers a large number of recipes for solving many health problems. To prepare one or another decoction, tea, you need to buy golden root in a dry form, it can be found in pharmacies. It can also be found in the form of tinctures and tablets. The use of this plant should be cautious - in case of overdose and the presence of contraindications may be dangerous for health consequences.