Real, authentic cider is produced exclusively within certain French regions, which is enshrined in law. However, the cost of such a drink, depending on the extracts and varieties of apples used, may be too heavy for most average citizens. However, you should not get upset, because you can easily prepare apple cider at home, using fruits from the home plot, and when needed, even store juice or concentrate. How exactly to do this, we will tell in our article.
Homemade apple cider or juice: process features
Delicious and fragrant cider, made from apples from its own plot, has a bright, unusual taste, a small degree of strength, as well as an indescribable aroma of fresh fruits. Recipes of homemade cider from apples of excellent quality will allow not only to enjoy such a noble drink throughout the year, but also to process the excess crop, after cooking jam, jams, compotes and other preservation.
The classic recipe for apple cider in the home and any other conditions, can only be considered as prepared without the participation of foreign agents. It is about sugar, as well as cultivated yeast. The fermentation process in this case can be based solely on the wild fungi that live on the surface of the fruit. That is why the fruit in no case can not be washed before processing. However, it takes quite a lot of time, and in order to speed up aging, people have adapted to add additional components.
Initially, apple cider was prepared solely using the same technology, using certain types of apples. However, over time, simple recipes were modified, and it became permissible to add pears, cherries, quinces and other fruits to the drink, as well as to encourage the fermentation process with yeast and their first “feed” sugar. In English-speaking countries, pear cider is well known, which even has its own name - perry. Any recipe for apple cider at home can usually be divided into three main stages.
- Washing and preparation of dishes. This also includes the sterilization of containers in which cider will be produced. Make it the easiest way to autoclave or oven, but in a pinch, you can simply rinse the dishes with boiling water.
- Fermentation and fermentation of apple wort.
- Lightening cider.
In the process of fermentation and fermentation, a water seal should usually be used, which can be replaced with a conventional rubber glove or with a tube dipped in a glass of clean water. If you do not take care of this moment, then with the ingress of oxygen, your billet can easily turn into apple cider vinegar, the liquid in the household is useful, but hardly tasty. When the cans are sealed tightly, the carbon dioxide that has accumulated inside during fermentation can easily rip off the lids, which again leads to the first option.
Proven recipes for apple cider at home
Most of the recipes for apple cider are simple and clumsy, and even those who have never cooked anything like this will succeed in dealing with them. This business can be your favorite, because it does not require special attention, large financial or time costs, and as a result will allow you to enjoy a tasty and pleasant drink that can refresh in the summer heat or warm in the winter cold.
"Long" French Cider
This homemade cider recipe is very fond of folk winemakers in England and France. It most clearly repeats the recipe of the original drink, that is, without the additional introduction of yeast or sugar. True, he is preparing for quite a long time, more than six months, for which he received such a "talking" name.
- Apples - 75 -110 kilograms.
Since only apples are clearly indicated in the recipe, there is no need to add other ingredients to it. Therefore, even when washing dishes, it should be ensured that there is no water at the bottom, it can damage. Wipe the pan with a soft cloth to remove moisture.
- Apples sort out, remove the damaged areas, and rotted, and it is better to throw aside. If the fruit is excessively dirty, it is permissible to wipe them with a clean cloth, but this is not necessary, since excess dust will definitely precipitate, with which it will be recycled.
- Squeeze the juice from the apples in any way convenient for you. For example, you can use a household press, a juicer, a juicer, a conventional meat grinder and a piece of gauze to squeeze the liquid.
- Pour juice into a container of glass or enamelled metal, cover with two layers of gauze and let stand in a dark place for forty-eight hours.
- Drain the juice from the sediment (decant) and strain through several layers of gauze.
- Pour the resulting liquid back into a clean and sterilized fermentation tank, set the water seal and clean it in a warm (25-27 degrees) and dark enough place. You need to hold there for at least three, and ideally, about five weeks, trying not to touch the container, not to shake or agitate it, and not to allow direct sunlight.
- After the fermentation process is completed, which can be judged by the absence of bubbles coming out of the hydraulic lock, the cider must be decanted again, filtered and poured into dark bottles.
In this process, the manufacture of cider can not be called complete, as it must also stand out well, mature. Dark bottles should be placed in the cellar or basement for at least four months, even better for six. After six months, the drink will have to be opened again, drained from the sediment and bottled again, after which it can be stored in a dark place without losing taste or smell for up to three years. The strength is 6-8%, depending on the selected varieties of apples and their primary sweetness.
The version of the French simple recipe for apple cider at home is so named because it uses apples, Antonovka varieties. The fruits themselves are juicy and with well noticeable sourness, so that the drink from them is obtained with a rich and bright taste. This recipe will be more complicated, it has additional components, but it is also tested by many home-made craftsmen, which they call it very worthy.
- Freshly squeezed Antonov apples juice - 4 liters.
- Granulated sugar - 4 glasses.
- Hot purified water - 1 liter.
- Berries for ferment (raspberry, strawberry, currant, blackberry) - 1-3 handfuls.
This recipe involves adding a certain amount of sourdough berries, however, most likely their taste will not be felt in the final product. This is done in order to activate the fermentation process, since the cultivated yeast does not go here, but sugar is added.
- Unwashed berries gently mash with a fork, add to the mass of about half a glass of water warmed to 45-50 degrees and a few teaspoons of sugar. Mix everything well, cover with a cloth or gauze and put in a warm place until foam appears on the surface.
- Mix the sugar with water and fresh juice until there is a sediment on the bottom. Leave everything under a layer of cloth during the day to self-ferment.
- Add the yeast prepared in advance to the bottle or jar, set the water trap and leave your future cider for three days.
- After the prescribed period, add the remaining sugar, diluted with water. Now wait for the end of fermentation will have at least twenty days.
- Drain the beverage from the sediment and place it in a warm place once again in its purest form in order to complete the fermentation. In two weeks it will be finally completed and you can pour the product into dark bottles.
You can drink such cider right away, but it is better to leave it until it is fully matured, which, depending on the conditions of detention, can take up to three or even five to six months.
If Antonov apples are large and juicy, then the ratentes are on the contrary, tiny and rather solid, and everything else is also tart, but of them you can make a great cider using a simple recipe. The drink will be much closer to the authentic than the previous ones, since it is precisely such varieties with special acid and bitterness that are used at home.
- Mashed potatoes from rannet - 1 liter.
- Purified water - 0.5 liters.
- Sugar - 1 cup (200-250 grams).
Tiny, tart ratkie apples are the best suited for use in cider recipes at home. It turns out traditional, with bright taste and saturated aroma. The bones and cores of apples can be removed during preparation, but it is better to leave them, how exactly the seeds will give the drink a noble bitterness and a slight tartness.
Understanding how to make apple cider at home, you can not miss this recipe. After all, it is quite simple, but it will surely give an excellent result.
- Scratch grated apples or mince. You can also use a standard juicer or a household press, a blender. The main thing is not to separate the juice from the pulp (pulp).
- Mix the puree with water, and then leave in a dark place for pre-fermentation. It will take at least three to four days.
- Before foam and other signs of active fermentation appear, the juice will need to be stirred at least once for six to eight hours.
- As soon as all the pulp rises to the surface, remove it from the liquid by filtering through cheesecloth.
- Pour the cider into the fermentation tank no more than two-thirds, add the rest of the sugar and mix everything well.
- At the end of fermentation, it usually takes from about five to seven, up to eighteen to twenty days. It will directly depend on the sweetness of the apples, the room temperature and humidity. You can check the readiness by bubbles, which will stop coming out of the trap.
- Drain your almost finished cider with sediment and strain it, pour it into prepared bottles. Properly clog and set in the cellar for at least ten to fifteen days, after which it can be consumed.
Apple cider of such a plan can be prepared from any, not very juicy, tart varieties. We'll have to tinker a bit, but after 20-25 days you will get a quite mature and pleasant drink, with a strength of 6-12 degrees, depending on the sweetness of the fruits themselves.
Dry Apple Cider
Just as usual, you can make apple cider dry, that is, sour and low-alcohol. For this, the fermentation process must not be interrupted, but brought to the end, without artificial introduction of sugar. The final ripening of such cider will take at least five to six months, but those who really want to get an apple sparkling drink, not worse than industrial champagne, will wait.
- Apples highly acidic varieties - 10 pounds.
Strongly sour apples should be harvested or purchased and in no case be washed before preparing the wort for future cider. Wild yeasts are found on their surface, which activate the fermentation process.
- Wipe the apples with a soft cloth when needed to clean them from dirt or dust.
- Spread the fruit in a dark place for one week. Make sure that they lie solely in one layer and have less contact with each other.
- Twist the apples in a meat grinder or using a blender, then squeeze the juice. You can use the domestic press, if it is available.
- Pour juice into container, cover with several layers of gauze to protect from dust and insects. Leave it alone until you notice an active fermentation process. It can be detected by froth, hissing and gurgling wort.
- After that, strain the raw material and refill it in the fermentation tank, setting the water seal. A yeast sediment will soon fall out, and the emission of gases will be inactive, but still constant.
- Place the sourdough so that it does not interfere, but is in the dark and relative heat (17-22 degrees), since it will stand for at least a month.
After the process is completed, the cider is required to be bottled and stored in a cold, dark place, preferably in a cellar. But before drinking it, it should take at least six months, otherwise the desired effect will not work.
Apples of different varieties can be combined. The ideal is the ratio in which one part of sour apples is mixed with two parts of sweet ones. Pear cider is made by the same technology. If possible, I advise you to make a platter - mix pears and apples in equal proportions.
- apples - 10 kg,
- sugar - 1.5 kg,
- water (in rare cases) - up to 1 liter.
1. Rub the collected apples with a dry cloth (do not wash), put in a warm room for 2-3 days. On the surface of the fruit live wild yeast, which is necessary for fermentation, it is important not to wash them off.
2. Remove leaves and tails. Apples, together with the peel and pits, are ground with a blender or meat grinder to a state of uniform mashed potatoes.
3. Rinse the fermentation tank with hot water and wipe dry. Fill with ground apples a maximum of 2/3 volume. For example, if three-liter jars are used, then you can put up to 2.5 kg of apple slurry in each jar. Free space is needed for foam and carbon dioxide.
4. For each kilogram of apples add 100-150 grams of sugar, depending on the initial sweetness. The wort should be sweet, but not cloying. Mix.
5. Tie up the container neck with gauze and put it in a dark place with room temperature for 3-4 days. Stir the contents of the cans every day, knocking the dense top layer down and putting it in the juice. After 8-16 hours, the characteristic smell of fermentation, foam and hiss.
6. From apple slurry, squeeze the juice, which is then poured into a clean, dry fermentation tank. Next on the jar (barrel) to install a water seal or attach a medical glove with a hole in one of the fingers (pierce with a needle).Cider under a homemade water gate Glove instead of a water seal
7. Homemade apple cider should ferment in a dark place with a temperature of 18-27 ° C for about 30-65 days. Then a sediment will appear on the bottom, the water trap will not blow bubbles (the glove will fall off) and the drink will visibly brighten, which means that the fermentation is over.
If fermentation does not stop after 50 days from the moment of installation of the hydraulic lock, in order to avoid bitterness, it is necessary to drain the cider through a tube into another container and put the paste under the same conditions.
8. Ferment the cider from the sediment, then skip through 3-4 layers of gauze.
9. Pour the filtered drink into bottles (unless it is planned to saturate with gas, fill it up to the neck) and close tightly with corks. Also, homemade cider can be stored in jars rolled up with lids.
10. Within three months, the drink should ripen in a cool room (6-12 ° C). Then you can proceed to tasting.Ready cider after 60 days of aging
The result is a honey-colored cider with a pleasant sweet taste and a strength of 7-12% (depending on the initial sugar content of apples). Drink easily, in moderation does not cause a hangover.
How to make homemade apple cider
Apples - the most popular and beloved by all fruit, which is grown in almost every garden. After harvesting, very often there are a lot of apples on the ground that are not suitable for storing and preparing home-made billets, and many owners simply have to throw them away. To fragrant fruit is not wasted in vain, you can make homemade apple cider.
Traditional recipe for fresh apple cider
This method is rather laborious, but the result will certainly not disappoint you and you will not regret the wasted time and effort.
Before you make a cider from apples should very carefully sort out the fruit. The most suitable for this drink are apples of winter varieties. All fruits must be well ripened, with no obvious signs of rot.
Washing the harvested apples is not recommended so that the fermentation process is more natural. However, if not very dirty, you can slightly rinse them in running water.
Prepared fruits must be crushed to prepare the wort. To do this, you can use an ordinary hand grater, meat grinder, blender or juicer. Using a juicer, do not throw away the pulp - cooking apple cider with it will be much faster.
Mix juice and pulp, add a little sugar, mix and put in any container for fermentation. The wort can be prepared in any enamel pan, milk can or glass jars. Using this recipe for homemade apple cider, you can do without sugar, but then the fermentation process will be much longer, and the strength of the resulting drink will be significantly lower.
Be sure, before you prepare the apple cider, consider how and where you will store it. If you are going to prepare a large amount of drink, then prepare a special room in which you will prepare the home brew and withstand the finished cider. The must must be put for 3-4 days in a warm place - the temperature should not be below room temperature.
Must for apple cider at home you need to mix daily and carefully monitor the moment when fermentation begins. Как только на поверхности появятся первые признаки брожения, мезгу нужно будет отжать через мелкое сито или несколько слоев марли. Полученный сок перелить в трех-пяти литровые банки, установить на них гидрозатвор или надеть обычные резиновые перчатки. Используя перчатки, на одном из пальцев сделайте маленький прокол — чтобы через него выходил лишний углекислый газ.
It is possible to make apple cider as a weak alcoholic drink without adding sugar, but in this case the wort will ferment for several days longer.
Banks with cider put in a cool dark place where they will stand for 1-2 months. When fermentation is completely stopped, the drink will need to be drained from the sediment. Strain the obtained cider with several layers of gauze.
Apple cider, prepared by yourself, should be poured into small containers - it is best to use half a liter bottles, close and refrigerate. Pour the drink right under the very neck and tightly close, otherwise due to the ingress of oxygen, cider can turn into fruit vinegar.
The apple cider prepared according to this recipe can be stored for three years. The longer the drink will last, the tastier and more fragrant it will be.
The easiest recipe for apple cider
If you do not have a lot of apples, but you want to try to make a delicious flavored drink, then you can use a simpler method of cooking. The easiest recipe for apple cider is to put apple juice in a warm place and let it ferment.
Unfortunately, the fermentation of juice in a natural way is possible only if there is a special variety of apples and strict adherence to technology. Using ordinary apples, the cooking process can take several months, so it is advisable to add sugar and yeast.
In spite of the fact that yeast is not used in industrial production of cider, it will be quite acceptable for making homemade drink.
A cheaper and more affordable option for owners of small gardens and personal plots is to preserve natural juice for the winter, and prepare cider from the remains of mash.
Pure three-liter jars filled with juice from the juice - about a third. Add a little white raisin or yeast to each jar, a glass of sugar and top up with cold clean water.
Before you prepare the apple cider, prepare a water seal or rubber gloves - this is done so that the containers with the drink are protected from oxygen.
Cover the banks and put in a warm place for 5-6 days - until fermentation stops.
With the help of gauze you need to carefully strain and pour the resulting drink into glass jars or bottles. Cider needs to be poured very slowly, so that the sediment that fell to the bottom does not rise.
Fill the container up to the neck and seal the lids tightly.
Apple cider prepared according to this recipe can be drunk immediately. Store the drink in the refrigerator only in closed bottles, so it is desirable to use containers of not more than one liter.
Each winemaker has his own special recipe for homemade apple cider. Homemade cider can be dry and sweet, with little or no alcohol. You can use fresh apples or homemade apple juice, you can make a drink with the addition of yeast, raisins or other fruits. Optionally, you can mix different varieties of apples in different proportions and each time to get all the new tastes and flavors for every taste.
Special technology of preparation of this drink does not exist, so you can become the author of a unique exclusive drink that can compete even with the most famous cider varieties made in the elite wineries of the world.