Grapes are respectable decoration of any personal plot. Fans of fragrant amber berries, caressed by the scorching rays of the sun, will appreciate the variety Valek - a hybrid form, obtained by crossing varieties such as Star, Rizamat, Kesha 1, and has absorbed the best qualities of each. The grape variety Valek was bred by N. P. Vishnevetsky, the purpose of life of which is to create hybrid high-yielding forms of these berries, which possess high palatability and long shelf life. Nikolai Pavlovich Vishnevetsky on his garden plots engaged in selection, which he pushed the lack of good grapes for over 30 years.
The location of the vines
The Valek grape is the pride of Vishnevetsky, a child and a pet, intended for cultivation in regions with different climatic conditions, of which the northern part of Ukraine is best suited to it. It is recommended to plant grapes in well-lit open areas not shaded by other plants. It is advisable to do this on elevations, because in the lowlands cold air and water can stagnate, which causes great harm to the bush. On private plots, it is better to choose the south or south-west side, protected from the winds.
Principles of proper fit
The soil is light, without the presence of groundwater near the surface. Vigorous bushes are preferably planted from each other at a great distance, which will provide them not only with the space required for normal growth, but also to get the root system nutrients in full. The distance in the row between the bushes should be at least 3 meters, between the rows - 4 meters. The pit for planting the seedling should be large, at a depth of at least 80 cm. It must be fully supplied with nutrients that will feed the bush before the beginning of the fruiting period.
First, you need to lay a mixture of prepared soil, which is the top layer removed during the digging process. Then add 2-3 buckets of compost with mineral fertilizers. From above one more top soil layer is laid. Before planting the seedling pit should stand for 2-3 weeks.
Grapes Valek: description
This hybrid variety is characterized by a super early maturation period (105 days). In the middle zone of his crop harvested near the end of the summer. Bushes vigorous, clusters, becoming every year larger and larger - weighty and dense with a large number of berries. They have a mass of 1.5 to 2.5 kilograms. Grapes Valek, consumer reviews about which speak for themselves, has a presentation of brushes, equipped with large and beautiful berries, intended for fresh use.
This delicacy is very attractive and appetizing. The grapes are fleshy, toasted under the sun, bright yellow in color, have a pleasant pear flavor and a rich muscat flavor. The shape of the oval berries, each has a weight of 14-16 grams. The average length of one grape is 3 cm, and the width is 2.8 cm. To taste, they are very sweet, the skin is edible. Fruiting is good, the bushes are characterized by strong growth. With excellent ripening yields, the yield is as high as possible.
Positive factors varieties Valek
The young vine of this variety ripens almost at full length, cuttings root well. Experts recommend growing grapes on their own roots, without grafting to other varieties (with which it has good compatibility), to avoid loss of taste. This grape has a flower of both sexes, thanks to which the bush bears fruit regularly and absolutely. Flowers keep open for 10 days, perfectly pollinated even in rainy weather and are an excellent pollinator for other grape varieties.
Grapes Valek perfectly tolerates transportation, is very resistant to gray rot and most fungal diseases, is able to survive the winter and can withstand temperatures up to minus 24 degrees.
For the cultivation of a healthy, strong and thick bush requires its proper planting, under which you should dig holes, equip them with drainage and provide the plant with high-quality watering.
Basic principles of cultivation and care
Growing grapes Valek and care for them is similar to the care of other varieties:
- Regular weeding of the soil.
- Watering in the summer, produced no more than 3 times, and in too hot weather - 4 times. Moisture is the basis of the growth of any plant. It is important to water the bush before flowering, as well as at the time of the formation of brushes. Each watering is recommended to be accompanied by soil mulching, for which moss or sawdust can be used.
- The breaking of the shoots is necessary to get rid of bad, sick, dry branches, which interfere with the normal flow of water and nutrients to fruitful healthy shoots. It is recommended to break off shoots after the formation of tendrils and inflorescences, but before their hardening and stiffness at the base. The procedure is required to start from the base of the bush with a gradual advance to the sleeves.
- Pinching (the essence of which is to get rid of the green shoot from the top) and breaking off the stepsons, which causes the supply of the required amount of nutrients and water to healthy shoots. These procedures, which help to avoid abnormal development and slow growth of the plant, are carried out a couple of days before flowering in order to avoid strong growth of the bush.
- Thinning the leaves, which lie on the surface of clusters and cover them from the rays of the sun. This will cause the fastest ripening of grapes and increase the level of sugar in it. This procedure requires a few weeks before the ripening of grape brushes. In order not to harm the plant, it is recommended to remove 5 leaves (or less) near each bunch.
- Pruning is done in the fall, after the leaves fall. This is required in order to avoid the growth of the bush and the grinding of the berries of the future harvest. In the first year after planting pruning is not performed.
- Spraying is aimed at the destruction of pests and the prevention of various diseases.
- Ground fertilizing is done in the autumn. Fertilizer is brought as close as possible to the roots of the plant in a trench dug not far from the bush. The proportion in this case is as follows: per 1 sq. M. a meter covered with a vine surface is required to make 6-8 kg of manure and 80-100 grams of wood ash.
On the eve of the winter period, the bushes must be covered, and at the end of the frost the vine must be opened. This is best done in case of cloudy weather before sunrise or after sunset.
Although Valek rarely suffers from fungal diseases, it is still better to treat the surface of the vine with special chemical solutions.
Variety Valek: recommended for cultivation and consumption!
Grapes Valek belongs to the varieties, which have virtually no disadvantages. This elevates him to the rank of a pet by gardeners who rejoice in the number of berries and their quality. Pearly sweet fruits, harvested by their own hands and a bottle of homemade aromatic wine hidden for a special solemn occasion - is this not the happiness obtained as a result of great efforts and labor invested in the grapes! Variety Valek, reviews of gardeners about which is always enthusiastic and positive, it is recommended to grow on each garden plot.
Selection of seedlings
Wine growers with experience say that Valek is best bred with the help of own-rooted cuttings. If you get grafted seedlings, it is likely that their taste will be slightly lower than that of their own. To choose the seedlings of grapes Valek, you need to pay attention to the fact that the root system must be healthy and well developed. They should not have scratches, damage, as well as bark cracks, stains, which usually indicate the development of a fungal disease.
It is advisable to purchase seedlings in containers. They are better accustomed after planting in open ground.
Choosing a landing site
This is very important if you want to get large and stable yields. The site must meet the following requirements:
- Good light. This indicator affects the rapid growth of the bush and the ripening of berries. Land for planting is desirable to choose away from tall buildings, bushes or buildings.
- No drafts. Piercing winds damage self-pollination. This will lead to a decrease in yield.
- Landing on the hill. It is advisable to plant bushes on high ground, although this is an optional condition. It is due to the fact that the cool air often accumulates in the lowlands. It is very harmful to the bushes of grapes, especially young.
What should be the soil?
Valek grapes to soils is undemanding, but in practice it is noticed that it develops better and bears fruit on light loams that have an admixture of black earth. Groundwater should not be too close. The optimum level of their occurrence is 2.5 m. Soil fertility is achieved with the help of fertilizers.
The choice of seedlings of grapes Valek is undoubtedly very important, but their competent planting is equally important. Seedlings are planted in open ground in spring or autumn. Spring planting requires growers to provide the necessary amount of moisture for young plants, and in autumn it is necessary to take care to protect the seedlings as much as possible and to cover them carefully.
Valek grapes are planted in pre-prepared pits with a depth of 70 cm. Consider the drainage system in advance, which will ensure that the plant's root system is replenished with moisture. Before placing the young bushes, the prepared pits are filled with a mixture of garden soil and compost, and then they are filled with water. Now it's time to place the seedlings in the pits, placing them in the center of the hole.
Compared with other varieties of grapes Valek favorably different simple care. Nevertheless, the winegrowers must follow certain rules of agricultural engineering:
- regularly weed around the bushes and between the rows,
- water shoots
- loosen the soil throughout the plot where the grapes are planted.
Do I need pruning?
Grapes Valek needs not only pruning, but also pinching and breaking off. They break off, as a rule, the escape, which is sick or withered. This should be done after the inflorescences and tendrils pass through the stage of formation. In addition, it is necessary to break off stepchildren in a timely manner.
Pinch the grapes Valek necessary to limit the growth of plants in height. To provide the bushes with good nutrition, this process is carried out before flowering begins. Experienced winegrowers know that pruning shoots and vines is a necessary event for any variety. Remove the largest leaves that close the clusters from the sun's rays. It is not necessary to remove them all, as this can harm the bush. It is recommended to cut no more than five of the largest leaves.
Full pruning is carried out in the fall. This is necessary in order to prevent the overgrowth of the vine.
Diseases and pests
We mentioned that this hybrid is resistant to many diseases that affect other grape varieties. But this, of course, does not mean that this variety is invulnerable, so you need to take care of protecting the bushes from diseases such as oidium and mildew. They can seriously harm the plant and even lead to its death.
High humidity and rainy weather for a long time are favorable conditions for the development of mildew. At such a time, spores are actively developing, which first fall on the leaves and then spread to the entire shrub. If you notice oily transparent spots on the outside of the leaves and white deposits on the inside of the plate, this means that the plant has struck with mildew.
It can be overcome only by creating good ventilation for the vine. To do this, cut the bush and remove the stepchildren. After that, the plant is treated with solutions based on copper sulphate or slaked lime. Good results are shown in the fight against this disease Bordeaux mixture. This drug can be purchased at any specialty store.
Oidium is quite simple to determine by the ashen bloom appearing on the shoots and leaves. It occurs due to the development of fungus. Fruits that grow on clusters affected by oidium get wet and burst. To defeat the disease, it is necessary to spray the ground sulfur to a powder. In order to prevent the spread of the disease in the vineyard, diseased shoots are promptly removed and burned.
Grapes Valek: gardeners reviews
The most positive reviews about this variety come from the central and northern regions of our country. Apparently, Southerners are spoiled by a huge number of varieties that can be grown on their lands.
Winegrowers note high frost resistance of the plant. In addition, it is important that this variety is not affected by gray mold. And, of course, that it gives a big and stable crop. Berries tolerate transportation, while maintaining the presentation.
The only drawback of this hybrid is that the berries infect the bees, because of which it is necessary to use mesh bags and set traps.
General characteristics of the variety
Grapes Valek is a hybrid grape of difficult breeding, combining the features of the following varieties - Kesha 1, Star and Rizamat. For the first time, a breeder from Ukraine N.P. Vishnevetsky. For this reason, the variety itself is often called the Vishnevetsky hybrid form. Homeland grapes - Kirovograd region.
Having absorbed the best properties of 3 varieties, Valek is a very high-quality and popular plant today in areas of very many growers.
This variety has the following specific features:
- Super early maturation. Gives a harvest in three and a half months. Harvest can be collected from mid-July. In the northern regions (relative to the historical homeland of the grapes), the harvest dates are determined by the end of August. In the Rostov Region, Valek ripens 5-7 days earlier than the Arkady variety, which is one of the best early grapes.
- The variety is resistant to gray rot and autumn fungal diseases. Cases of lesion with gray rot are practically not recorded, are rare. It is necessary to attribute to the dangers - the negative impact of the life activity of wasps, which Valek is very fond of as a food source. Valek is not afraid of mildew or oidium.
- The preferred method of planting - seedlings. Cuttings quickly and without problems take root, while respecting the basic rules for landing and choosing a place.
- Good pollination, even in rainy periods. Belongs to the bisexual type of plants. Covine cavity, which is a guarantee of pollination, provides an almost absolute indicator of the formation of the ovary. Valek serves as an excellent pollinator for other grape varieties.
- Flowering period - up to 10 days.
Refers to high-yielding varieties. From the bush you can collect 35-40 kg of fruit.
The plant itself and the fruits are fairly resistant to transportation costs. Resistance to frosts up to -24 degrees.
Vine bush grows heavily
Bushes vigorous. Every season give a fairly large increase in young vines. Without control, the bush can grow, in a short time quite strongly. The young vine for the summer period ripens to its full length. Aging shoots in the first season after planting is quite good.
Features of planting, breeding and care
When planting bushes, it takes root and develops in accordance with standard terms for milestones. The harvest can count on 2-3 season after disembarkation. With proper care with the age of the bush, the crop will increase, with improved taste.
The roller is stable both as a stock and as a graft during inoculation events. But experienced growers recommend to develop the Valek grapes independently, on their own root system. Inoculation can adversely affect the qualitative and quantitative indicators of yield, resistance to frost and various disease-causing diseases.
A number of specialists and winegrowers note the instability of cuttings of this variety to grafting on the stocks of other varieties.
The pit for planting the variety should be big
Despite the high resistance to frost in the winter, especially in areas with a low level of formation of snow cover, it is recommended to cover Valek for sawdust, spruce fur twigs and mulch for the period of cold weather.
Since Valek is prone to sprawl, when planting, it is especially necessary to carefully define the boundaries of each bush.
The distance between plants, in optimal conditions, should be about 3 meters. Such a distance will not only provide nutritional resources, but also create optimal lighting conditions, which Valek “loves” very much. При высадке рядами – расстояние между каждым рядом должно равняться около 4 метрам. Порядок посадки и подготовки посадочной ямы для винограда Валек не отличается какими-либо существенными требованиями. Рекомендуется только учитывать «любовь» этого сорта к «просторам» и разрастанию.
Почву надо хорошо подготовить и удобрить
По этой причине яма делается максимально больших размеров (глубина не менее 80 см.).
The abundant growth of the root system in all directions (in depth and width) makes the transfer task challenging. In addition, this feature of root development increases the demands on the level of soil moisture. It is not necessary to plant this variety in the land with a high bedding of groundwater, in the lowlands with a high concentration of moisture in the soil, in marshy and shaded areas.
The optimal soil for this grape variety is light loam with a low content of black soil.
In addition, Valek is "afraid" of cold winds and drafts, for this reason, landing along fences or buildings will be an advantage for development and growth.
The site must be lit and protected from the winds.
Based on the above recommendations on the cultivation of grapes Valek, you can make a list of requirements for the selection of areas for planting. The terrain must have the following characteristics:
- Well lit open spaces.
- The absence of shading or the prospects of shading in the future by other plants (be careful about planting other plants side by side, which with growth may create inconveniences for lighting the bushes).
- Preferably plots on higher ground, with deep groundwater, moderate soil moisture. Nisin is dangerous due to the increased probability of “stagnation” of cold air and moisture.
- South or southwest side of the slopes.
- Areas protected from winds by natural barriers, fences or buildings. There must be a harmony of space for lighting and growth of the plant, as well as the presence of barriers for natural troubles (winds, drafts).
- The soil should be chosen light, well-saturated with oxygen and perfectly permeable to excess moisture.
- It is necessary to water the grapes no more than 3 times a year; in dry periods, the intensity should be increased to 4-5 irrigations.
Mulching grapes retains moisture in the soil
Although Valek is not afraid of mildew, oidium and rot, as a preventive measure, it is worthwhile to carry out measures to maintain the normal moisture regime of the soil (good drainage, in order to avoid moisture accumulation in certain areas).
Do not neglect measures to combat weeds and various organic remains around the bushes.
As a means of dealing with wasp growers call the following measures:
- destruction of closely spaced wasp nests,
- the use of special networks on clusters,
- the use of special baits for wasps.
OS protection nets
The roller is popular and spreads quickly through horticultural plots due to its excellent "vitality" and resistance to transportation of cuttings. A beginner grower can safely buy cuttings, even if it is known that they have “traveled” a fairly large distance. The main thing is that they are whole and healthy according to external visual signs.
Harvest on the bush 3 y
Since the fruits of the Valek grape are sensitive to the supply of nutrients, it is important to monitor the even and harmonious development of the bush. To do this, periodically:
- Break off shoots in the period after the formation of tendrils and inflorescences and before they are stiffened at the base. Such measures will allow to get rid of weak, damaged and unnecessary branches, to give the opportunity to get the "released" nutrients healthy shoots.
- Holding pinching and breaking stepsons. It is recommended to spend a couple of days before flowering.
- Thinning leaves, removing old, damaged leaves, as well as those that shade the clusters and berries. But do not be too zealous with the removal, optimally remove no more than 4-5 leaves from each bunch. Removal of leaves increases the likelihood of damage to the fruit by birds, so the procedure should be carried out as carefully and carefully as possible.
- The implementation of the autumn pruning after the fall of the foliage.
Valek easily propagated by cuttings
As already mentioned above, it is best to plant Valek grapes with seedlings, especially since you can easily purchase cuttings in specialized nurseries or from professional gardeners. In addition, with an adequate level of knowledge, you can prepare the cuttings yourself if you already have your own bush of this variety.
Berries grapes Valek have the following characteristics:
- The clusters are characterized by high density, large size and large weight (1.5 - 2 kg). It is noted that the older the grape bush, the more heavy are the clusters. Every year this grape adds weight to its crop.
Bunches of grapes Valek very large
Berry Valek large and juicy
To prevent pea fruit, the bushes require regular and proper pruning of the vine. When these conditions are violated, the size of the berries decreases and the taste deteriorates (a sour taste appears). So one should not allow the development of even two grapes on one vine.
The berry of this white table grape is intended for fresh consumption.
The density of the berries in clusters often refers to one of the main disadvantages of this grape variety. For this reason Valek is not in demand and popularity among wholesale buyers. However, in practice, the density does not lead to crushing, cracking and subsequent damage to the berries.
Pros and cons of grapes Valek
Based on the above data, thoroughly characterizing this variety, we can conclude that it has a large number of advantages, and its disadvantages are minimal.
The grape yield is very high
The roller is recommended for the growers, as a steady and healthy grape with a large, high-quality and tasty harvest.
The main advantages of this variety are the following characteristics:
- High survival rate, resistance to frost and disease.
- Excellent yield indicators.
- Delicious, sweet, large and durable berries and clusters. Long shelf life. Very attractive aesthetic appearance of grapes and berries.
- A high percentage of pollination.
- Short period of ripening.
The minuses of grapes Valek include:
- Capriciousness to soil quality.
- Sensitivity to moisture.
- Demanding of large spaces. It is critical in conditions of limited spaces of country and suburban areas of many lovers of grape growing.
Too small, the clusters are too dense, if you sell yourself, then the buyer can be smart and offer, and for wholesalers it will not be interesting. And about the vine, so if there is nothing special in the form, and the vine is not in short supply. For lovers of muscat flavor Valek will be interesting, not for the market, just selling grapes for a long time, “chuika”.
Average berries at Valka with a good load of 10 -12gr. But I saw more with good care. Especially if you thin a bunch. I agree with many that Valka has rather dense clusters. But the berries do not pop and hang on the bush for a long time. Some clusters reached to frost in October, and having lain until December, they did not lose their taste.
Valk has a bunch of mostly dense, but, as a rule, the berry does not choke, does not crack, does not rot. The form is not bad, if you still work the GK on the stretching of the brush, I think there may be no problems with the density of clusters. The roller is beautiful, tasty.
The hybrid form Valek grows in our (Belgorod region, micron Tavrovo 2) for the third year. Despite last year's frosts, the kidneys woke up 100% Pollination went well, even you can say, perepylilis. So I had to work with the clusters with the help of scissors, I removed one fifth of the berries. I want to say that despite the fact that GF. requires a little attention, but I am very pleased with it! Namely, very productive, unusual nutmeg with tones of pear. With the implementation I had no problems, it was gone at a high price.
In my opinion, nutmegs have a richer TASTE. Roller when in condition, he has some kind of his own, special nutmeg, his aftertaste. They write that it is duchess. Maybe it depends on the soil? Somehow it reminds me of floral tones ... Tason is about the same in taste sensations ... And Livia, of course, but here the muscat is more complicated and even more interesting ...
Grape Valeka - one of the best among the top varieties of table grapes. It is distinguished by very large clusters, high frost resistance and resistance to diseases. The popularity of the variety is constantly growing, it is planted in different climatic conditions. It can be recommended for both industrial viticulture and personal gardens.