Bidens, or ferulele series, is an annual plant, still little known to our growers. We are all familiar with the threefold sequence, in which infants are bathed, and so Bidens is the closest relative of the sequence we know. Native to North America, it only gains popularity with gardeners by unpretentiousness and resistance to adverse conditions.
The name means ‘bidentate’, given for the presence of a pair of bristles on oblong seeds. The seed is attached to the feathers of birds or animal skins with bristles and with their help it is transported over considerable distances. Ideal as a groundcover culture - fills all the free space.
Description of the plant
Bidens ampelnoe grade Bidens ferulifolia Yellow Pearl photo
Bidens ferulelistnaya (Bidens ferulifolia) - this new product from the Astrov family came to us on flower beds from Mexico and Guatemala. The plant forms a volumetric form with a height of 55-85 cm and a diameter of up to 80 cm. The stems are strong and branch off from the ground, covered throughout the volume with bright yellow inflorescences-baskets with a diameter of 4 cm. Emerald leaves are strongly dissected and resemble lace.
Growing and maintaining bidens furullelnoy
In Russia, Bidens is grown as an annual crop.
- Extremely unpretentious plant feels great on the sun and in light partial shade.
- The soil is undemanding, but prefers a light sandy.
- It tolerates drought and lower temperatures.
- Tolerant to pests and diseases.
Bidens planting and care photo Bidens ferulifolia ‘Orange Drop’ orange
Refers to the group of those plants that are planted and forgotten. If you do not mind your time, you can water Bidens sometimes, but this is not necessary.
- It will not be superfluous to have one additional dressing before the start of flowering with a full complex fertilizer - the plant will respond to this with an abundance of flowers from the beginning of summer until autumn.
- Cut faded flowers to stimulate the formation of new buds.
Bidens can be cut at will - to give the shape of a ball, oval - the plant tolerates this procedure without serious consequences.
Growing seed seedlings
Bidens growing seedling photos from seeds
Seeds are purchased in garden centers or harvested in the fall from faded plants. In the southern regions can be sown directly into the ground. Then it will be possible to remove weak shoots or transplant a part of the seedlings to another place in order to damage the plantings.
North will have to tinker with seedlings:
- About a month before the planned landing of Bidens on a bed, sow the seeds in a container with any wetted soil.
- Remember the need for drainage. If you use food containers for planting, be sure to make holes in the bottom for the flow of water.
- Sow as little as possible, so as not to swoop down the shoots. Leave at least 3-4 cm between seeds.
- The depth of the seal is small, up to one centimeter.
- Seedlings will appear in about a week.
About sowing seed by seeds will tell the video:
To obtain a subsidiary plant without buying seeds, the bidens can be propagated independently. Basic methods:
- Seeds. After flowering, fruits are formed, which contain a large number of seeds. You should wait for their ripening, and then dry and plant in the spring on the seedlings or in the open ground. Planting material maintains germination up to 3 years,
- Cuttings. During wintering, long and healthy shoots are cut, and then they are placed on a loose and nutritious substrate (a mixture of garden soil, humus, peat and sand). Rooting takes up to 3 weeks, after which the plant can dive into an individual pot for growing. Transplantation to a permanent place should be carried out at the end of spring.
With vegetative breeding methods, varietal qualities may be lost or changed. To preserve the appearance of the plant, only the seed method is recommended.
The decorative train is highly resistant to diseases and pests. Infection is extremely rare. Difficulties in cultivation appear in case of non-observance of agrotechnology, requirements for care. Main problems:
- reduction of color, the formation of small flowers due to lack of lighting and when landing in blackout,
- rotting of the roots and the lower part of the stem with constant soil moistening, water stagnation,
- weak leaf tone, faded petals on the background of a lack of nutrients in the soil, increased dryness,
- at low temperatures, frequent changes in weather conditions, the bidens slowly grow, the decorative effect of flowers decreases.
If the necessary measures are taken in time and the care regime is adjusted, the plant quickly recovers and continues to grow. In case of severe injury, it is recommended to change the landing site for the next year.