Care of cultivated plants in the garden plot is not limited to planting and harvesting. The main thing - timely watering, protection from diseases and plant nutrition to grow and increase yields. Tomatoes, as well as other crops, are very sensitive to fertilizers and respond with abundant flowering, an increase in the ovaries and rich fruit bearing. One of the unique supplements is boric acid. It not only provides tomatoes with such an indispensable trace element as boron, but also effectively fights against late blight of tomatoes during spraying.
What is the treatment of tomatoes with boric acid?
For normal development and optimal fruiting plants need a lot of nutrients. The uniqueness of boron is that it helps to take from the soil all necessary micro and macro elements.
Boric acid is a white crystalline powder, tasteless and odor, easily soluble in warm water. Boron is part of many ready-made fertilizers, primarily used for seedlings, as it helps to improve its nutrition, more complete absorption of nutritious organic and mineral substances from the soil, thereby creating a good base for further development of plants.Boric acid - white crystalline powder, tasteless and odorless
Vegetables and fruit crops absorb much more boron than, for example, cereals. Therefore, it is successfully used to process or feed cucumbers, potatoes, beets, strawberries, grapes, pears and apple treesin greenhouse and open field.
Boric acid is very effective in the fight against late blight, Besides:
- actively affects flowering plants, enhancing it,
- promotes the formation of ovaries and prevents them from shedding,
- prevents rotting of tomatoes with excess moisture,
- increases the flow of sugar to the fruit, seeds.
Feeding boron is especially useful for tomatoes, it is carried out in two ways:
- foliar spraying ground part tomatoes with boric acid solution,
- watering the bushes with a solution under the root (for tomatoes and cucumbers).
Spraying has a better effect on tomato plants: it stimulates the growth of the root system and stems, improves metabolic processes, the synthesis of useful substances, increases the level of chlorophyll. All this makes the plant more robust and resistant to various diseases.Boric acid is especially useful home-grown tomato
Especially useful is such top dressing for home grown tomatoes - in flower pots or on the balcony, as they are more weakened than the soil relatives, requires enhanced nutrition.
When spend feeding
Over the entire growing season, fertilizing is carried out several times. Even before sowing, seeds are soaked in a nutrient solution for a day. To do this, 0.2 g of powder must be diluted in 1 liter of very warm water - 50-55 degrees (in cooler water, boric acid powder dissolves for a long time and not completely). Seeds are put into the solution in a gauze bag so that they do not float to the surface.
This seed treatment is significantly increases their germination, strengthens seedlings, contributing to a more complete intake of nutrients, protects against disease, even with high humidity.
Subsequent spraying spend 3 more times:
- during budding,
- in the period of mass flowering,
- in the beginning of fruiting.
Between feedings should pass at least ten days. If the plants have responded well to the first treatment, it is advisable to carry out the subsequent ones, and if not, it is better to refuse and not water this type of fertilizer.
Ready solution for spraying (see the preparation recipe below) should be sprayed from the spray gun directly onto the leaves, stems, buds, flowers and fruits of tomatoes. Such a top dressing much more efficientthan watering at the root, as it provides rapid absorption of boron by the plant. The result is noticeable already literally on the second or third day after treatment.
Such a simple and cheap way will help to gather a rich harvest of tasty sweet tomatoes and improve their keeping quality, which is very important for preserving the harvest.
Signs of a shortage of boron in a tomato
By the appearance of the plants, it is easy to determine that they lack boron:
- upper (but not lower) leaves of bushes turn yellow, curl, become small, deform,
- apical shoots gradually die off, since nutrients do not enter the plants,
- Tomato bushes bloom very poorly, the ovaries do not form, a large number of hollow flowers, small ovaries fall.
Useful properties of boric acid for tomatoes
Tomato - one of the most popular fruits in the garden or garden plot. The use of boric acid for their nutrition and cultivation is difficult to overestimate. It can be said that the future crop of tomatoes depends largely on boric acid, because it positively influences the whole vegetation process plants:
- strengthens, nourishes seedlings
- activates flowering,
- increases the number of ovaries
- prevents fruit from rotting,
- promotes the transportation of sugar along the stalks, increasing the sugar content of fruits.
Instructions for the preparation of the solution for spraying
To prepare the solution, it is necessary to observe some subtleties and follow the instructions for use and use. Boric acid powder (approximately 0.5 tsp without top) diluted in a glass of hot water to dissolve it quickly and completely, then add it to 10 liters of water, stir, and sprinkle tomatoes with this ready solution.Depending on the purpose of treatment, different concentrations of the solution are used.
Depending on the purpose of treatment, different proportions are used:
- To prevent shedding the ovaries, 1g of boric acid is dissolved in 1l of hot water. After cooling the solution, the tomatoes are sprayed with a spray.
- To combat late blight Add 1 teaspoon of powder to a bucket of warm water. and process the plants. To achieve the best result, it is recommended to spray tomatoes a week with a weak solution of potassium permanganate, and a week after boron treatment with a weak solution of iodine.
Boric acid tomato planting is the most effective and cheapest way to produce a healthy and abundant crop. The main thing - do not overdo it, strictly comply with the proportions, and the excellent result will delight you.
Recommendations for the use of boric acid
During the processing of tomatoes with various dressings, you should follow some rules:
- Never sprinkle vegetables with a cold composition. The temperature of the solution should be approximately the same as the soil.
- For spraying from an atomizer, the optimum temperature will be 20-25 ° C, but only at high humidity. In the case when the degree of water rises and the humidity becomes lower, the solution simply dries out, without giving any result.
- Sometimes it is not necessary to start processing at once all the tomatoes in the garden. First, you can test on one bush, and after a while process the rest.
- It is very important to observe the dosage of the necessary components for dressings. Often ingredients are added to the compositions (for example, iodine), which in large quantities can cause irreparable harm to the plant. The entire procedure is done strictly according to the instructions, not overdoing with spraying and watering.
Feeding tomatoes with boric acid is an effective microfertilizer. Proper use and accurate dosage will achieve good results in the cultivation of this vegetable. With this tool you can save a considerable amount of money and do without the use of chemical additives. Boric acid will provide a tomato with good protection against adverse conditions, and the summer resident will be pleased with a generous and sweet harvest.
The value of boron for tomatoes
Members of the nightshade family prefer fertile, rich soil. With a lack of mineral elements, the yield is significantly reduced. The lack of boron in the ground is fraught with the death of fruits at the first stage of flowering. The role of the substance in the process of growing tomatoes:
- establishes calcium access to the plant,
- participates in the process of pollination,
- ensures the safety of flowers and their development,
- accelerates cell growth,
- necessary for the formation of plant cell walls,
- necessary for transporting sugar to developing berries,
- takes part in photosynthesis.
Under the conditions of boron deficiency, the development and growth of tomato is impaired, the possibility of a good crop disappears. Feeding tomatoes with boric acid is essential to success.
Use of boric acid
The tool is one of the universal micronutrients for tomatoes. How to use and for what purpose, each summer resident decides at its discretion. There are several options for use and purpose:
- spraying tomato boric acid for fruit ovaries,
- seed treatment to increase yields
- adding to the soil to increase the yield and quality of berries,
- watering with a weak acid solution to increase soil fertility,
- spraying tomatoes with boric acid during the flowering period to accelerate the flowering process and increase the number of ovaries,
- in order to increase resistance to late blight infection, it is recommended to treat the stems and leaves of the plant with an agent.
The time of the procedure
Tomatoes are treated with boric acid several times during the summer season. To get a good harvest, tomatoes require four to six supplements:
- in the period of sowing tomato seedlings,
- before the beginning of the flowering period, during the period of active growth,
- during the period of active flowering
- during the onset of fruiting.
The time of the procedure is not always possible to enter in a specific schedule. At the first symptoms of micronutrient deficiencies, it is necessary to treat the soil with boric acid. The obvious signs of a lack of boron in a plant include a change in the appearance of foliage, stem, and fruit. The plant urgently needs help with:
- the color of the foliage and stem changes from green to yellow or black at the base,
- the formation of light spots on the foliage,
- leaf folding
- brittleness increase,
- a sharp decrease in the number and fall of flowers,
- change the appearance of tomatoes, become shriveled, darken.
At the first symptoms it is necessary to spray the tops and make additional feeding of the soil.
Preparation and methods of processing tomatoes and soil
To process tomatoes boric acid start from the moment of preparation of seeds. How to dilute and apply the tool? The technology consists of several steps:
- Preparing the solution. Boric acid is diluted in a proportion of 200 grams per 1 liter.
- Fill the seeds.
- Infusion occurs within 24 hours.
Important! Seeds should be completely immersed in the solution. It is recommended to put them in a gauze bag.
For best results, the solution is added to the seedling well. Between planting and tillage should take at least a day.
If you plan to plant tomatoes in poor soil, process it in advance. For foliar application, it is necessary to prepare a solution in the proportion of 10 grams of substance per 10 liters of water. When podkorma bushes, first occurs watering with plain water and then fertilizer. So you can avoid the burn of the plant.
One of the most common and effective methods is the use of a spray gun, tomato irrigation. How to spray tomatoes? The main task is to prepare the solution correctly. For 1 gram of substance you will need 1 liter of hot water. When spraying, the temperature of the solution should not be below 20 degrees.
Good day to all vegetable growers! Last summer, the harvest of tomatoes was quite modest. Planted them in the garden after the beets - it was one of the main mistakes. There is an insufficient amount of boron in the soil. Neighbors have been using boric acid as a spraying tomato for more than a year. According to their recommendations, I tried the remedy this summer. Explained in what proportions to dilute the acid, the code watered. Processed tomatoes three times - before planting, during growth and at the time of the appearance of the fruit. From one bush in the end I gathered 6 kilograms of berries. Now every year I will definitely carry out spraying and feeding with boric acid. Great thing!
Valeria Malysheva, 30 years old.
I want to recommend everyone a great and inexpensive remedy - boric acid for the growth of tomatoes. My wife and I treated all the bushes several times. The result is satisfied. After using the solution, the fruit is excellent fruit, the bushes do not dry, the leaves do not turn yellow. For the best result, watering was performed in the evening with a warm solution. The first time the treatment was carried out at the stage of seed preparation. Soaked in solution, 200 grams of acid per liter of plain water. The remnants of diluted acid poured the soil for planting. About the tool can leave only positive feedback. I recommend all gardeners to use when growing tomatoes.
Vasily Dmitrievich, 43 years old.
Boric acid is one of the best means for feeding tomatoes. I have been using not for the first year and the result is always on top. I start with seed treatment. I soak them in the solution for 24 hours, process the kidney itself. The most important thing is not to overdo it and precisely follow the proportions of acid with water. I recommend before starting to water the tomatoes, first use plain water and then feed. The tool copes with the problems of late blight. For gardeners in regions with non-fertile soils, the tool is simply indispensable. The advantage is affordable price. To process all the beds throughout the summer period will cost no more than 100 rubles.
Why do tomatoes need boron
Boron is one of the most important nutrients of tomatoes, it is necessary for the normalization of nitrogen synthesis and metabolism. The trace element influences the formation of cells, helps them to multiply rapidly, so its presence is extremely important for the active growth of leaves, roots, and development of the ovaries of the tomato bush.
It is impossible to increase the yield of tomatoes without high-quality and timely dressing
In nature, boron is not found in the free state. Most often in the soil this element is presented in the form of soluble salts. When fertilizing plants with fertilizers, including boron, it is necessary to take into account that it is loosely fixed in the soil and can be washed out with sediments. On the grounds, where liming was recently carried out, the availability of this element for plants is complicated.
Many ready-made fertilizers contain boron, but most often boric acid is used as the element supplier. Processing tomatoes with a solution of this drug can significantly increase the yield, improve the taste of the fruit. Bor actively affects the following parameters:
- profusion of flowering
- formation of ovaries and preventing their shedding,
- fruit preservation even with excessive moisture,
- the amount of sugar in the fruit,
- increase the shelf life of tomatoes,
- reducing the risk of late blight infection.
All these positive changes occur, because boron helps plants to take from the soil micro-and macronutrients they need, participates in the regulation of pollination and fertilization, carbohydrate and protein metabolism.
Especially important is the presence of a sufficient amount of boron in the cultivation of tomatoes at home, as in the space limited by the planting capacity the bushes are highly sensitive and demanding to the quality of food
Signs of boron starvation of tomatoes
To determine the lack of boron in the cultivation of tomatoes will help the appearance of the bush. The plants experiencing boric starvation, the following signs are observed:
- begin to die off apical shoots
- twisting from the top to the base, the upper leaves of the bushes are deformed,
- old leaves turn pale and yellow,
- the flowering of the bushes is weak, the ovaries do not form and fall massively,
- petioles of young leaves become brittle, bend, change their color,
- points of growth on the stem darken and die off, while thin and fragile shoots start to grow rapidly from the root,
- dry spots appear on fruits.
Signs of boron oversupply
An overabundance of boron also adversely affects tomatoes. The following symptoms, which appear first on the old leaves and in the apical part of the bush, will indicate this problem:
- leaves on the bush become glossy, as if from excess nitrogen,
- on old leaves, small brown spots appear, which quickly increase and lead to the death of the leaf plate,
- the middle of the leaf plates bends upwards, representing the semblance of a dome.
How to feed tomatoes boric acid
Борная кислота — оптимальное и недорогое средство для подкормок томатов бором, тем более что внесение этого препарата не требует особых условий и приспособлений. Нужно только учитывать, что для полного растворения борной кислоты не подходит холодная и даже чуть тёплая вода. To prepare a boron solution, the required amount of the drug is first dissolved in a small amount of fairly hot (about +50 degrees) water, and then the solution is brought to the required volume.
Boric acid alcohol solution is not used for the preparation of fertilizer, as it can cause leaf burns.