Greens are not just grass that we eat. This is a whole philosophy and a part of nutrition, along with vegetables and fruits. With the help of greenery you can influence the body - change its metabolic rate, affect digestion and other processes. Greens give dishes a savory taste and delicate, irreplaceable aroma. Today we will talk about arugula - very useful and incredibly tasty grass, which should be on the table for everyone.
Arugula is known to man for more than one millennium. If you try this plant to taste, it may resemble sorrel. Someone arugula gives a delicate nutty taste and aroma, for someone it is shades of mustard or pepper. In the food are not only the stems and leaves of this plant. An incredibly valuable oil is extracted from the seeds, which is used in cooking, medicine and cosmetology.
This is a very low-calorie product - a large bundle of a plant weighing 100 grams contains only about 25 calories. Therefore, arugula is recommended for weight loss. It has a lot of fiber, which contributes to the feeling of satiety. In addition, arugula is full of plenty of vitamins, fats, acids and other substances that can change your health for the better. So, how does arugula affect our body?
Useful properties of arugula
If you have this green constantly, after a few days you can feel a significant change in the body.
- Arugula perfectly acts on the work of the gastrointestinal tract. There are many dietary fibers in it, which are not processed, but, on the contrary, swell in the intestine and, like a brush, clean it of fecal masses that accumulate in the folds of the intestine for years. Arugula is a great way to cleanse the body and lower cholesterol levels in the blood.
- Arugula is the best friend for losing weight. With the help of a small bowl of vegetable salad with arugula, you can get a long feeling of satiety with a minimum calorie meal. In addition, if there is arugula regularly, it speeds up metabolic processes and improves metabolism.
- This plant improves the functioning of the nervous system, strengthening the sheath of nerve fibers. Regular consumption of arugula reduces the risk of depression, stress, anxiety and panic attacks.
- Arugula is a great plant for immunity. It fights well with microbes and bacteria in the body. Arugula is useful to use when dealing with colds, and as a preventive measure. In some countries arugula is taken actively in the autumn to strengthen the immune system before the flu and colds season.
- Arugula contains components that contribute to the prevention of cancer. That is, if there is arugula regularly, the risk of developing cancer is reduced.
- For a long time this plant is considered to be a real aphrodisiac for men - arugula improves potency and reduces the risk of an enlarged prostate gland.
- With the help of arugula, you can control blood sugar levels, reduce the risk of diabetes.
- The plant promotes the absorption of iron by the body, which allows it to cope with anemia by increasing the level of hemoglobin in the blood.
- With regular consumption of arugula, the plant is able to resist the development of gout and diseases of the genitourinary system, the grass perfectly reduces blood pressure.
- Everyday consumption of arugula contributes to the improvement of female beauty. A sufficient amount of trace elements and vitamins strengthens nails, bones and hair. During lactation arugula stimulates milk production.
Arugula is a wonderful plant with expectorant, diuretic, antimicrobial, antibacterial and soothing properties. However, the grass is suitable not only for eating.
External use of arugula
Since the plant has a mass of beneficial properties, it is often used as a medicine for external use. Arugula is not worse than celandine and is able to get rid of various corns, polyps, warts and growths. Kashitsa greens are used to disinfect and heal wounds, boils, inflammations.
But most often arugula is used in cosmetology. Phytoncides, which are part of the green plant, perfectly suppress inflammation and activity of the sebaceous glands. Mask with arugula is prepared to fight acne and acne. Regular procedures with arugula will make the face velvety, clean and smooth. Arugula has another pronounced property that is used in cosmetology - this herb perfectly whitens the skin. This allows you to get rid of age spots, freckles, unwanted sunburn, excessive tan. In some countries, arugula is considered "young" grass, because its use in masks gives the skin unprecedented elasticity and smoothness.
Arugula and its oil are actively used to treat hair. Since it has a pronounced burning effect, the composition is used to awaken the sleeping follicles and get rid of hair loss. Masks on the basis of arugula juice and oil restore and nourish hair after dyeing and bleaching.
Contraindications for taking arugula
Like any medicine and plant, arugula has a list of diseases and conditions under which it is impossible to use this green or to do it with extreme caution.
- Arugula, like parsley, can cause muscle spasm. Therefore, to use this green in large quantities during pregnancy is extremely dangerous, it can lead to uterus tone and even miscarriage.
- Since arugula still has a burning taste, it should not be used in case of stomach ailments - gastritis or an ulcer, especially with an increased level of acidity.
- In arugula there are many phytoncides that can cause an allergic reaction, that is, an individual intolerance of this product is observed. Therefore, eating arugula for the first time should be carefully, starting with small portions.
- In case of liver and kidney diseases, it is better to refuse arugula.
In the presence of chronic diseases, regular intake of arugula should be coordinated with the doctor.
How to use arugula correctly
Of course, it is much more useful to eat fresh arugula. Add greens to salads to get the maximum of its beneficial properties. Here is a recipe for a very tasty and healthy salad. Chicken breast need to boil and chop. Add tomatoes and cucumbers, cut into large pieces. Be sure to add the dill and arugula herbs. To get a rich flavor, prepare a dressing of olive oil, spices, and garlic. You will get not only very healthy, but also insanely satisfying and low-calorie salad.
There is another popular recipe that will help you on a difficult working day. Grind a bunch of arugula in a blender, pour boiling water and leave for 10-15 minutes. Then the composition needs to be drained and drunk in one gulp. This will give you a charge of vitality and strength for the whole day. If you want to improve the sexual abilities of a man, prepare him such a mixture. Mix finely chopped arugula with black pepper and honey. To increase the potency of this composition should be taken every day for a tablespoon. In addition, it is an excellent sauce for meat - the treatment can be not only useful, but also delicious!
Fresh arugula juice can be used to remove freckles and age spots - the juice is applied dotted. But for youth and skin elasticity from arugula, you can make a decoction or tincture of alcohol. Wipe the skin with this composition to get rid of acne and wrinkles. It is very effective to freeze the juice of arugula and wipe your face in the morning and evening with pieces of ice. After a few days of such procedures, the face will become much more fresh and elastic.
Arugula is often used in cooking not for treatment, but to give the dishes a delicate rich flavor. Herbs are served fresh and stewed as an independent dish or side dish. Meat and fish are cooked with arugula, the plant is combined with beans, rice and seafood. Arugula is added to marinades, sauces and even desserts. Salad with arugula and cherry tomatoes with seasoning and sunflower oil dressing is very popular. Eat arugula at any time and in any form, take care of your health and strengthen immunity!
How to store
To keep arugula for a whole week, you need to properly store it. We recommend not just putting greens in the refrigerator, but putting them in a container with water. If you need a longer period, you can thoroughly wash and dry the arugula, and then just freeze it. In addition, you can grow greens on your own windowsill: the plant is unpretentious, caring for them will not be difficult.
The use of arugula in cooking
Experienced cooks say that this green of the cruciferous family can be a side dish, and it can also become an independent dish. Not bad this plant is combined with seafood, fish, meat and legumes. It is simply indispensable for sauces and pizza, risotto and cold appetizers. So what to cook with arugula? We have collected the most interesting recipes for you!
Arugula and Beetroot Salad
This salad is perfect for those who want to lose weight, but do not want to deny themselves tasty food. It will require the following ingredients:
- three small beets,
- 100 grams of cottage cheese - the best homemade,
- a bunch of arugula,
- one red onion
- one tablespoon of lemon juice and olive oil (they eliminate the bitterness of arugula),
- a teaspoon of soy sauce and mustard seeds,
- 2 pieces of loaf,
- salt and black pepper to taste.
The first thing to do is to prepare the beets: it must be wrapped in two layers of foil and baked in the oven for one hour. Finished beets must be peeled and cut into slices. Arugula should be thoroughly washed (it should be done only in cold water!). Cut onion, mix it with lemon juice, mustard, soy sauce, butter, pepper and salt. You need to fill the beets with half of this sauce, then you should put the beets on a plate, put the arugula on top (no need to cut it, it’s best to just tear it with your hands), pour the salad with the remaining sauce. Before serving, add cottage cheese and small dried pieces of loaf.
Are you hungry? No time for long cooking delicious food? There is an exit! We offer to cook a simple (but very tasty!) Sandwich. For him we need:
- mozzarella (you can replace it with feta cheese and cheese) - 200 grams,
- a small bunch of arugula,
- cherry tomatoes - one sprig is enough
First you need to wash the greens and cherry. The baguette should be cut along, thinly grease the halves with butter. Mozzarella and tomatoes should be cut into small circles, put on the bottom of the baguette, a little salt. Then you need to cover the sandwich with the second half of the baguette, lightly press it.
Arugula, Salmon, Cucumber and Avocado
Cooking this salad will take quite a bit of time, and you need a few ingredients for it:
- avocado - 1 pc.,
- lightly salted salmon - 100 grams,
- fresh cucumber - 1 pc.,
- a bunch of arugula,
- olive oil and lemon juice for dressing.
Avocados must be cut in half, the bone should be removed, the flesh should be cut into small pieces. From the cucumber should remove the peel, cut the vegetable into strips. The fish is best cut into thin slices. The ingredients need to be mixed and added a little salt. Then add the leaves of arugula. Before serving, sprinkle the salad with olive oil and lemon juice.
Pork with arugula and tomatoes
This dish is perfect for an ordinary family dinner, and for the holiday table! To make it you need to take the following products:
- pork - 400 grams,
- cherry tomatoes - 6 pcs.,
- a bunch of arugula,
- garlic - 2 cloves,
- rosemary - twig,
- onions - 1 pc.,
- white wine - 130 ml,
- vegetable oil
- Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, parmesan - to taste.
In a preheated pan, pour oil, put rosemary and garlic in it, fry them and remove. Pork, cut into small pieces, should be laid out in a frying pan, fry the meat until golden brown, of course, on both sides. Add spices to the pork, diced onion, cherry tomatoes, cut in half. After 10 minutes, you should add to the meat wine, mustard. All should be thoroughly mixed and simmer until tender, closing the lid with a frying pan. Finished pork should be put on a plate, put arugula and grated cheese on top. Enjoy your meal!
Calories and composition of arugulaCalories of arugula - 25 kcal per 100 g of the edible part.
100 g of arugula contains 2.58 g of proteins, 0.66 g of fat, 3.65 g of carbohydrates, 1.6 g of dietary fiber, 91.71 g of water, 1.4 g of ash.
Its chemical composition is rich in:
- vitamins: A (RE), beta-carotene, B1, B2, B4, B5, B6, B9, C, E, K, PP (NE),
- macronutrients: potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, phosphorus,
- trace elements: iron, manganese, copper, selenium, zinc.
In the composition of carbohydrates dominate pectin (100 g - 8.0% of the daily norm) and cellulose (6.4%) contains a small amount sucrose (0.15 g per 100 g). Arugula seeds contain a lot of essential oils (mostly mustard), young shoots contain a lot of iodine.
How useful arugula for the body
Arugula is a great helper in overweight problems. Due to the presence of fiber, it gives a feeling of satiety, useful components fill the body with energy, improve metabolism.
Greens help to remove cholesterol and excess fluid from the body, it reduces blood sugar levels. Arugula also has a sedative and sedative effect, diuretic and disinfectant properties, it will be beneficial to the body in case of gastric and intestinal diseases.
Vitamins of group B are needed by the body for the normal course of fermentation and metabolism. Vitamin C (natural antioxidant) is involved in redox reactions, helps the body to cope with viral diseases and improve immunity.
Vitamin K regulates blood clotting. Minerals contained in greens, affect the body fortifying. Calcium is necessary for the formation of bone tissue, iron is an important element of the hematopoietic function.
And that's not all that arugula is good for. For a long time, arugula has been considered a strong aphrodisiac with particular benefit to men. For example, the recipe for the Italian "love potion" for daily use looks like this: part of black pepper, part of honey and 10 parts of arugula.
The benefits of arugula for women
Eating arugula greens helps women maintain their skin in good condition: it preserves a pleasant complexion, wrinkles are less pronounced. Women notice that with regular use of the nails become strong, and hair - shiny.
Masks with arugula problem skin with inflammation, scaling, freckles and pigmentation will be put in order. They are applied on the face for 15-20 minutes and washed off with warm water.
- From peeling: 2 tbsp. l leaves of arugula mixed with lemon juice and aloe pulp (1 tsp.).
- Acne: 5-6 crushed arugula leaves mixed with the pulp of ripe tomatoes and 1 tsp. oatmeal.
This green is a real vitamin "bomb" that strengthens the body, helps to improve digestion, get rid of edema, strengthen the protective functions. The indication for its use is a reduced level of hemoglobin in the blood.
How to use arugula oilArugula oil is successfully used in cosmetology and cooking.
A few drops of oil in a cream or mask will complement the remedy with a bactericidal effect, which will help eliminate inflammation on the skin.
Arugula oil gives excellent results in hair care: nourishes them, especially if they are dry, restores curls damaged by the external environment, strengthens, stimulates growth and helps in the fight against dandruff.
With arugula oil make hair and scalp masks:
- 2 tbsp. l arugula oils, 25-50 g of blue clay, 3-5 drops of any essential oil,
- 2 tbsp. l Arugula oil, 2 tbsp. l tincture of pepper capsicum, 1 tbsp. l hair balm.
Arugula in the kitchen of different countries
Arugula is a popular and favorite ingredient in Mediterranean and Italian cuisine. In its original taste there are notes of mustard, pepper and nuts. It is not surprising that in Italy it is added everywhere: in pasta, pizza, risotto, salads, sauces.
In a green pesto sauce arugula can replace or supplement basil. Greens are added to pizza at the end of baking or after it. Руккола является ингредиентом мясного блюда страчетти, которое готовят из жареных в смеси оливкового масла и лимонного сока тонких полосок телятины.
In the region of Puglia in the south of Italy, they cook kavayedi pasta (in the form of shells) with arugula, add tomato sauce and grated pecorino cheese. On the island of Ischia, near the west coast of Italy, arugula makes a sweet, very tart rucola liqueur.
Arugula is a part of the mesclen salad blend popular in Western Europe, which also includes dandelion leaves, lettuce, oaklif (“oak leaf”), romain, escariol, vegetable valeriannica, purslane, yellow and red chicory, cress salad, and parsley.
In Cyprus, Rocca (as the name sounds in Greek) is used in salads and omelets. In Egypt, arugula is eaten with seafood and for breakfast with ful medames, the national Arabic dish of boiled beans seasoned with garlic, olive oil and lemon juice.
In Turkey, arugula is used in a salad or garnish for fish in combination with olive oil and lemon juice sauce.
- Clean the leaves of arugula on a plate, spread out on top thin slices of tomatoes and Parmesan cheese, pour with olive oil, vinegar, sprinkle with roasted pine nuts and chopped garlic.
- Blender beat 150 g of strawberries, 1 tbsp. l balsamic vinegar, 4 tbsp. l olive oil and 2 tsp. sweet mustard, add salt and pepper. Peel off the lower ends of 8 stems of green asparagus, boil them for a couple for 7 minutes and chop. 200 g of arugula tear hands, cut 150 g of strawberries. Mix the ingredients and season previously prepared sauce.
- Fry 300 g of chicken liver in oil, pepper and salt at the end of frying. Put arugula leaves and 100-150 g of green grapes without seeds in a bowl, pour olive oil and wine vinegar. Add liver to the bowl, mix, sprinkle with walnuts and grated cheese before serving.
- The washed and dried leaves of arugula put in a bowl, add onion slices, cut into strips and 3 cucumbers. Prepare dressing: mix 3 tbsp. l olive oil with a few drops of vinegar (or lemon juice) salt and sugar (or honey). Season the salad and serve.
- Tear up 200 g of arugula with hands, chop up 3-4 sprigs of basil, cut 2 hard tomatoes into slices, leek (1/4 of pieces) into rings, onions (1/2 piece) with half rings. Prepare a filling of 1 tsp. honey, 1 tbsp. l apple cider vinegar, 2-3 tbsp. l vegetable oil and salt. Mix the ingredients and fill the finished salad.
The unique composition of mustard grass
Properties of arugula will delight every lover of healthy food. It contains:
- vitamins (E, B, C, A, K),
- beneficial substances (iron, zinc, selenium, magnesium, copper and phosphorus).
Such a solid set of vitamins and the properties we need allows the arugula to cope with the following tasks of healing and strengthening the body:
- improvement of the gastrointestinal tract and the normalization of the processes of digestion,
- diuretic and expectorant effects,
- fight against viruses and bacteria
- reducing the risk of harm to the body of colds,
- increased hemoglobin
- strengthening immunity
- reducing the amount of sugar contained in the blood and causing harm to the body,
- regulation of water-salt metabolism.
Arugula salad is beneficial for women who breastfeed babies - among the beneficial properties of rocket grass and the safe, effective enhancement of lactation.
Genuine interest properties of the plant cause in women and men who want to lose weight. Arugula has a low calorie (per hundred grams of product - only 25 kilocalories, no harm to the figure), can positively affect the metabolic rate, helps slimming keep energetic and good mood.
After eating salads or other dishes with spicy arugula and strengthening your health, pay attention to other beneficial properties of this wonderful greenery, especially relevant for women. We think you probably heard about the delicious and aromatic mustard oil obtained from the seeds and used in cooking for salad dressing. We hasten to please you - in addition to culinary purposes mustard oil is beneficial in the field of cosmetology.
Mustard oil and beauty treatments
Deciding to include mustard oil in your home cosmetic care, you can take care of the beauty and health of your face, body and hands.
Useful mustard oil (both in pure form and in combination with other oils and active substances) is able to cope with such cosmetic tasks as:
- care for inflamed skin
- care and restoration of aging, losing skin tone,
- acne treatment,
- moisturizing and nourishing the skin (not only the face, but also the hands).
In addition, the properties of arugula will successfully cope with hair loss and weakening - masks with mustard oil made from seeds will strengthen hair, prevent hair loss, give shine and enhance growth.
Like any other edible creations of nature, arugula is not only beneficial, but also, in some cases, harmful. What are the contraindications for its use are determined by doctors and nutritionists?
This mustard herb is not recommended
With care to use greens of arugula is to treat women who are waiting for a child - the spice can cause uterine contraction. Salad with it will not be useful for those who suffer from urolithiasis: the body can respond to green seasoning by exacerbating the disease. Of course, arugula can cause harm to those who suffer from individual intolerance to the plant.
Summing up our journey into the world of fresh and sharp greens, we will advise you when choosing arugula in stores to pay attention to its freshness - only juicy, not too large leaves will bring benefit to the body. By the way, it is more than unpretentious - and you can easily grow appetizing and healthy greens on your own window sill, so that you can add to the salad directly from the bed.
We wish you good health and good mood and recommend including fresh spicy arugula in your daily diet.
Benefit with taste
The bitter taste of arugula is due to the glucose dinolates contained in it. Along with sulforaphane, which is also present in this green, they are considered indispensable for the prevention of tumor neoplasms.
The use of arugula and other cruciferous (broccoli, kohlrabi, Brussels sprouts and savoy cabbage) contributes to the destruction of cancer cells and prevents their spread.
The next important component that contains arugula, diindolylmethane. This substance with a complex name suppresses viruses that cause the formation of papillomas and warts.
Among the vitamins in the composition of this weed, vitamin K leads the way. It ensures normal blood clotting and protects neurons from damage. In addition, the use of arugula will help fill the lack of other vitamins - A, B and C.
The mineral composition of the plant is also rich. Thus, arugula, the beneficial properties of which are due to the iodine content in it, is also shown in the hypofunction of the thyroid gland. The highest iodine content was found in young shoots of the plant.
Arugula takes a worthy place in the diet losing weight. This low-calorie salad is rich in fiber, which means satiety.
Among the positive properties of arugula - a beneficial effect on digestion, increased levels of hemoglobin in the blood. And with depression and stress, eating arugula will greatly improve your well-being. Arugula is advised to add to the diet and diabetics - it keeps glucose levels normal.
Arugula has a healing effect. In case of peptic ulcer, the use of this salad promotes the healing of the affected stomach walls and prevents the appearance of new ulcerative foci.
Italian chefs argue that rucola has a positive effect on men's health, eliminating sensitive issues. Here's an Italian recipe for machos: crush 100 grams of rucola, season with 10 grams of honey and the same amount of ground black pepper. Elixir drink in the morning for a teaspoon.
Walnut-mustard-spicy taste - this is why gourmets arugula were so fond of: why this green is useful, we found out, now turn to the culinary secrets.
Usually Rucola is added to salads or decorated with ready meals. Like other greens, arugula is not cut with a knife, but is torn with its hands before seasoning the salad. Moreover, this ingredient is placed immediately before serving, so that the rucola does not wilt ahead of time.
In salads, rucola goes well with shrimps, tuna, tomatoes, avocados, legumes, parmesan cheese. Olive oil is preferred as a dressing. The easiest recipe: on a dish in the form of a nest lay out whole leaves of rocket.
To the center is added sliced cherry tomatoes and thin plastics of Parmesan. Dress the salad with olive oil with a little vinegar. The finished dish is sprinkled with roasted pine nuts and chopped garlic.
A more substantial version of arugula salad - with chicken. Chopped tomatoes are added to the chopped poultry meat (seeds should be removed to avoid excess moisture in the salad), rucola, cilantro and a little garlic. Fill the dish with vegetable (olive) oil and lemon juice and sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds.
Use fresh rocket as a side dish for meat or fish. It harmonizes well with cottage cheese in various snacks. The main admirers of arugula - Italians - add it to many national dishes: pizza, risotto and, of course, all kinds of pasta.
In the fillings of cheese pies with curd cheese and cottage cheese, rucola is also ideal - recipes can be different. The easiest - from puff pastry. Put the dough in the form, lined with parchment, pierce it in several places with a fork so that it rises evenly.
For the filling, mix a chopped bunch of arugula, mashed brynza (200–250 grams) and a chopped boiled egg. Put the stuffing on the dough and sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Prepare the cake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Green Beauty Formula
Rukola is not only popular in cooking - recipes for masks with this herb contribute to skin rejuvenation. Masks with the addition of green arugula are usually applied to the face and décolleté. Here are some moisturizing mask recipes:
- Mixed chopped greens, cottage cheese and sour cream in equal parts. Mask applied to the face for 10-15 minutes. You can enhance the effect by washing off the composition with green tea or parsley broth.
- Crushed rocket (4 parts) mixed with olive oil (1 part) and put on face for 15 minutes. Remove the remnants of the composition with a cotton pad soaked in olive oil, and after 5 minutes, rinse your face with water at room temperature.
- Finely torn arugula leaves pour warm milk and add a little honey. Hold the mask on the face for about ten minutes, and then rinse with a mixture of water and milk (one to one). After 5 minutes you can wash.
Another property of rucola is skin whitening with freckles or pigment spots:
Puree fresh leaves of arugula (2 tablespoons) mix with half a teaspoon of lemon juice. It is necessary to put the composition on the freckles. Keep the mask is no more than 10 minutes.
The basics of gardening
If you like rucola, growing this salad will give you great pleasure. This tasty and healthy salad is relatively unpretentious. Arugula is hardy (can withstand temperatures up to minus 7), which means it can be sown from early spring until mid-autumn.
Sow rocket optimally at intervals of 20 days. This schedule will provide you with fresh greens throughout the summer season. The first plantings in open ground begin in April – May.
The soil, which is most favorable for arugula, is neutral or slightly alkaline. If the land on the site is slightly acidic, add hydrated lime to the garden bed.
The easiest way of landing is to make grooves 1.5–2 cm deep, the distance between the rows is about 20 cm, and sow rocket in them. Next you need to fill the grooves with earth, pour with warm water and cover with a film or, preferably, with breathing covering material.
The first shoots should appear in 3-4 days, then the bed can be opened. When the rucola grows up, thin it. Lettuce bushes ideally should be at a distance of 5 cm. You will receive the first harvest in 3 weeks.
Another option is to first grow the seedlings, and only then plant them in open ground. It is most convenient to plant the seeds in cups for seedlings of 3-4 pieces in each and put them on a well-lit window sill or balcony.
Dive grown seedlings are not necessary. The contents of the cup immediately planted in the ground. If all the seeds have risen, it is necessary to divide the contents of the cup into two holes.
It is necessary to care for plantings of arugula, as well as for other greens: to loosen and weed in a timely manner. Rukola does not like the scorching sun. Better if the bed will be in the penumbra.
This salad is moisture-loving. With a lack of watering arugula will be bitter. But in the feed this plant does not need.
Greens on the windowsill
If you do not have a country plot, do not be discouraged, you can grow arugula in an apartment. This can be done in a spacious flower pot or long trays for seedlings.
The soil is better to buy in a specialized store for gardeners. In the self-recruited land may remain weed seeds and pests that are afraid of arugula - lettuce cultivation in this case will be at risk. Such a soil is ideal: 2 parts of humus + 1 part of sand + 2 parts of sod. In addition, when planting, take care of drainage.
To get a uniform seedling, scatter the seeds on a slightly compacted layer of soil, then sprinkle with a thin layer of earth. Moisten the ground with a spray bottle and tighten the container with cling film.
Remove the pot from the light. And in 5–7 days, when the first shoots make their way, open the pot and transfer it to the window sill. When sprouts grow a little, thin them.
It is better to plant arugula in a warm and light season (not earlier than March). In winter, when there is a lack of light, the salad can be very long Water the greens need 2 times a day. As you can see, everything is not so difficult - and as a result you will be able to enjoy the taste and benefits of this plant.
Useful properties and contraindications
Mustard grass is characterized by a carved form of leaves, rich green color and original taste with a bitter note. Arugula is rich in vitamins, contains important trace elements for the body, including zinc, iron, selenium and magnesium. Also included are tannins and flavonoids.
Regular use of arugula has a beneficial effect on health, because:
the combination of potassium, magnesium and calcium normalizes blood pressure, helps to reduce the content of harmful cholesterol in the blood, reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack,
due to the high content of calcium and vitamin K, the absorption of calcium increases and its leaching from the bones decreases, which serves to prevent osteoporosis,
due to sulforaphane, a sulfur-containing compound that gives arugula a bitter taste, the development of malignant tumors is slowed down,
muscle saturation with oxygen increases, which improves the well-being of people with diseases of the respiratory system, cardiovascular system, as well as having problems with metabolism. For healthy people, this effect will improve athletic performance, it is easier to transfer the load during exercise,
chlorophyll, which is contained in the leaves, is able to block the harmful effects of carcinogenic substances entering the body with fried food,
due to the low content of oxolates in comparison with other types of salads, iron, copper and other trace elements are better absorbed when arugula is consumed,
Alpha-lipoic acid, a powerful antioxidant contained in rocket salad, helps to reduce blood glucose levels and increase insulin sensitivity, which is important for diabetes mellitus and its prevention,
the degree of liver cell damage decreases due to the negative effect of various substances; toxins are actively eliminated from the body,
dehydration is prevented, which is important in hot weather,
With all the positive qualities of rocket salad, there are also contraindications to the inclusion of spicy herbs in the daily menu. The first is the individual intolerance of the active substances that are part of arugula. Allergies can manifest as spasms in the throat, edema of the mucous membranes, indigestion, stomach cramps.
In addition, a large amount of oxalic acid in the leaves of rocket salad can provoke the formation of kidney stones in people prone to this disease, or aggravate chronic urolithiasis. At the same time, calcium contained in arugula improves kidney function. Therefore, it is enough to limit the consumption of healthy spicy plants, not excluding it completely from the menu.
Also, you can not use arugula in large quantities with:
gastritis, accompanied by high acidity,
severe thyroid disorders,
Arugula contains a large amount of vitamin K, which helps to increase blood clotting, so the product is contraindicated for people who, for health reasons, have to take blood thinning drugs.
The bright, carved greens of the rocket salad look spectacular and serve as a tasty and useful decoration of meat and fish dishes. Листья индау можно использовать для приготовления многослойных бутербродов, сэндвичей.
Руккола прекрасно сочетается с помидорами черри, мягким сыром, любыми видами мяса или рыбы. This allows you to cook a variety of salad variations on the basis of arugula: greens are torn by hand into pieces suitable for eating, add cherry tomatoes, cut in half or into quarters, then put Adyghe cheese cubes, add sliced ham. A little salt, ground pepper and olive oil will complete the salad. Adygea cheese can be replaced by cheese or any other suitable product, instead of ham, use boiled chicken or turkey, fish, shrimp, etc., to your taste.
According to its properties, arugula is similar to other types of greenery, as well as they do not contain fats, but is saturated with dietary fiber. It also contains eight times more calcium, four times more iron and five times more vitamins of various categories.
Grow lettuce in southern Europe and the Mediterranean.
Medicinal properties and contraindications
- Today, it’s very important that this product is directly involved in the prevention of cancer.
There are more anti-cancer substances in it than, for example, in the popular broccoli cabbage.
- The presence of a large amount of vitamins, in particular, vitamin C, gives arugula antiviral and anti-infective properties. Strengthens the immune system.
- Vitamin K protects a person from internal and external bleeding for wounds or other skin diseases.
- Vitamin A is a strong antioxidant that favorably affects normal metabolism, the formation of bones, teeth, hair and nails, improves eyesight, is necessary for the stable functioning of the immune system.
- Due to the high content of B vitamins in this product, arugula has an impact on the activity of the nervous system, improves mental abilities, mood, increases the muscle tone of the digestive tract.
That is, you will only benefit if you use this amazing greens in the morning for breakfast, and you can also use it if you visited the dentist, or you have seasickness, or you are reasonably trying to reduce the negative effects of alcohol or tobacco on your body.
- Excellent diuretic, which can improve the work of the kidneys and urinary tract.
- Iodine plays a major role in the prevention of diseases of the thyroid gland.
- Improves the work of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Helps to reduce excess weight.
- Reduces cholesterol.
An elevated level of this blood clot can lead to a stroke, heart attack or other vascular diseases. Eating foods high in lipids on a daily basis will help prevent these diseases.
Arugula contains iron in the amount of the daily requirement necessary for human health.
- The presence of folic acid will be beneficial for women planning a pregnancy.
- Interestingly, even an aphrodisiac is credited with this unusual salad, as well as an increase in potency in men.
Benefits for women
The presence of beauty vitamins in arugula makes it very attractive for women. If you eat such a salad, then you:
- will look great
- take care of your healthy diet,
- easily maintain your weight or strive for the ideal
- use it to some extent as an aphrodisiac,
- receive compliments as a great hostess, because this product will give your dishes a savory taste.
In addition to internal use, it is extremely useful to use arugula oil for hair. It will strengthen the roots, nourish them with nutrients, restore after damage and eliminate dandruff.
If you have a problem with hair loss, it is recommended to eat 2 tablespoons daily. l oils, while not forgetting to rub them into the roots of the hair, leaving the mask for the night.
When losing weight
Arugula is considered the main friend of losing weight girl. This is due to its beneficial properties. Due to the presence of certain vitamins and minerals, in the human body there is an acceleration of the process of metabolic substances, harmful slags are removed and toxins have a diuretic effect. And, of course, we must not forget for the low calorie content of this product, which contributes to rapid weight loss.
Due to the high content of fiber, even a small use of it gives a person a feeling of fullness.
Contraindications, possible harm: who should limit the use of arugula
Of course, arugula is a storehouse of beneficial vitamins and minerals. But along with this, there are still contraindications to its use.
It would be ideal, of course, to consult a doctor if you have an intolerance to some products or an allergic reaction to them.
In any case, try at the beginning to use it in small doses, so as not to bring harm to the body. And with extreme caution is recommended for people who suffer from gastritis or high acidity. This category also includes people with liver and kidney disease.
It is also not worth neglecting the effective rule that everything is good in moderation.
As for pregnant women, it is better to limit the use of this mustard salad.
From the video you can learn about the plant a lot of interesting facts and its application.
Arugula is used as a side dish. So as an independent dish. It goes well with fish, meat, legumes, various seafood, as well as with other leafy vegetables.
With arugula, you can put out the vegetables and cook in a double boiler. As an additional ingredient, it is used in the preparation of sauces, cold appetizers, Italian pasta and other dishes.
When using lettuce leaves it is better to just tear your hands. Ready meals with arugula can be eaten daily.
The bitter taste of this product can be neutralized with olive oil, vinegar or lemon juice.
Many will like, for example, the following recipe for vitamin salad.
- Arugula, dill - 1 bunch,
- chicken breast (you must boil) - 1 pc.,
- cucumber (cut into cubes) - 2 pcs.,
- cherry tomatoes (cut into slices) - 5 pcs.,
- olive oil - 1 tbsp. l
- lemon juice - 1 tsp,
- salt - a pinch.
Preparation: Mix the boiled chicken breast with the rest of the ingredients, sprinkle with juice and oil on top and sprinkle with herbs.
Eat salads, which include rocket salad is necessary only in fresh form.
Secrets of choice and storage features of this product
In order to evaluate this plant on its merits, it is necessary to choose the right one when buying. And an important role is played by the size of the leaves. The smaller they are, the more bitter you will feel.
If you want to fully enjoy the nutty, slightly tart taste of this plant, then get the salad large, green and fresh leaves.
This plant can be stored for a short and long period of time. In the refrigerator, it will retain its value for 5 days. And if it is washed and dried thoroughly, then arugula can be frozen in the freezer and consumed at any time of the year.
If you love arugula, then saturate your body with a delicious, juicy and healthy food for health, as well as save the beauty and youth.
Arugula has a bitter-mustard flavor, and the flavor of pepper and walnut is also present. The grass goes well with meat, vegetables, herbs, fish. The plant is used in folk medicine. From arugula make oil used to treat skin diseases and care for problem skin.
Nutritionists consider arugula beneficial to the human body. Its advantage consists in the presence of a large amount of vitamins, micro-and macro-elements, fatty acids. The plant is contraindicated for people with high acidity of the stomach and having individual intolerance.
Arugula is an annual cruciferous plant. It has several names: caterpillar, mustard grass, rocket, indow. It grows up to 60 cm. The leaves are toothed, externally similar to dandelion. It blooms with small, yellow flowers in May-July.
The plant is grown in the south and in the center of Europe, in Russia, Asia. This unpretentious grass on a large scale is grown in greenhouses and in areas of gardeners.
It has become a popular ingredient in the cuisines of Italy and France, and has also found application in traditional medicine. The seeds of the plant produce oil, which is used in the treatment of burns and other inflammatory processes of the skin.
The benefits and harms of the centaury for the human body, recipes for the use of plants
2 Composition and calorie
Green plants have a low nutritional value, since 100 g only 25 kcal. However, the high content of fiber can cause a feeling of satiety. In addition to fiber, arugula contains:
- vitamins A, C, PP, K, E, B1, B2, B5, B6, B9,
- macro- and microelements: copper, manganese, selenium, sodium, potassium, zinc, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, calcium, iodine,
- digestible carbohydrates mono- and disaccharides,
- omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids,
- saturated fatty acids - lauric, palmitic, stearic,
- monounsaturated fatty acids - palmitoleic and oleic,
- polyunsaturated fatty acids - linoleic, linolenic, arachidonic,
- alimentary fiber,
- beta carotene
- essential oils.
A large amount of arugula also contains maid oil.
The benefits and harms of hot red pepper for the human body
3 Healing properties
Regular use of arugula favorably affects the digestive system and the gastrointestinal tract. Part of the substance protects and strengthens the walls of the stomach. Thanks to fiber with a diet, you can quickly get rid of excess weight, while not experiencing hunger and not losing performance. The plant has a positive effect on metabolic processes in the body.
The healing properties of arugula are as follows:
- Increases the body's resistance to many viruses and infections due to the content of vitamin C.
- It is a powerful aphrodisiac, as it contains a large amount of essential oils.
- Used as a preventive measure to prevent cancer.
- It is used to combat skin diseases. Vitamin K, which is part of the plant, promotes healing of wounds, inflammations. Helps to fight pigmentation and freckles.
- It has a positive effect on the nails and hair structure, on the general condition of the skin due to the vitamin A composition.
- It helps to lower blood pressure and strengthens the walls of blood vessels.
- Stabilizes and lowers blood sugar levels.
- It is used for pyelonephritis, heart disease.
The benefits and harm of mint to the human body
3.1 For men
Arugula is good for men's health. Since it has long been considered an aphrodisiac, it helps to increase sexual desire, normalizes hormones and improves potency. Also, the plant has antibacterial properties, helps in the treatment of diseases of the urogenital system.
It is necessary to use arugula for the prevention of prostate cancer. It has a positive effect on the cardiovascular system, cleans the blood vessels from cholesterol and strengthens them. This reduces the possibility of developing heart attacks and strokes, the risk of which, according to statistics, is higher for men than for women.
3.2 For women
Women, in the diet of which arugula is constantly present, improve the condition of hair, nails, and face skin. In cosmetology, a plant oil made by cold pressing is used. For hair, it is used in the form of masks. Oil should be rubbed into the scalp, leave for an hour, shook a warm scarf, and then rinse with water and shampoo. This procedure must be repeated 2 times a week. Hair gain shine and strength, look healthy, means prevents their loss and cross-section, a positive effect on their structure. For a better effect, burdock or castor oil can be added to arugula oil.
A few drops of oil added to the face cream can saturate the skin with vitamins and microelements, moisturize it, relieve inflammation. If you stretch the leaves and add lemon juice to them, you can whiten your skin. It also helps to smooth out wrinkles.
Pure oil is used for weight loss (2 teaspoons on an empty stomach before breakfast). It can be used as a dressing for salads, meat and fish dishes.
3.2.1 Benefits for pregnant women
Salads from fresh green arugula are good for the health of pregnant women. This herb helps to improve the digestive system, supports immunity and eliminates puffiness. Arugula also has a positive effect on the circulatory and urogenital systems, fights against anemia, replenishes the body with essential vitamins, fatty acids and microelements.
In pregnancy, the use of folic acid is necessary for the normal development of the nervous system of the child. It also helps to increase the production of breast milk and solves the problem of its lack.
Despite the beneficial properties of arugula for the body, pregnant and lactating women should use the plant with caution. Its reception is contraindicated if the uterus is in good shape, as well as during allergic reactions.
5 Cooking Applications
In cooking, arugula leaves are often used in salads with the addition of any other greens and vegetables, and butter is made from seeds. Arugula perfectly blends with seafood, and the spicy taste of the plant gives the meat dishes refinement. Arugula is a part of many sauces, cold appetizers, pizzas, risottos, desserts.
Arugula correctly eat only fresh and whole leaves, cut with a knife is not necessary. Leaves should not be lethargic, as in this case, taste and useful qualities disappear.
The grass can be stored in the refrigerator for no more than 2-3 days in a closed container. It can be used for freezing, before that it needs to be washed and dried from water. In freezing, it retains vitamins and all its beneficial properties for a long time.
5.1 Salad with arugula and chicken breast
The following ingredients are required to make a salad:
- chicken breast - 1 pc,
- Tomato - 2 pcs,
- cucumber - 2 pieces,
- arugula - 1 bundle,
- dill - 1 bunch,
- garlic - 1 tooth,
- olive oil.
- 1. Cut chicken breast into long pieces, salt, sprinkle with seasoning and fry in vegetable oil.
- 2. Add sliced diced tomatoes and cucumbers to cooled breast pieces.
- 3. Arugula tear hands, chop the dill with a knife and add to salad.
- 4. Finely chop 1 clove of garlic, add to olive oil.
- 5. Stir all the ingredients.
5.2 Rocket salad with shrimp
The necessary ingredients are used:
- Arugula - 100 g,
- cherry tomatoes - 400 g,
- Parmesan cheese - 50 g,
- peeled shrimp - 400 g,
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 tbsp. lt
- olive oil - 1 tbsp. l
To prepare the salad you need:
- 1. Fry the peeled large shrimps in a small amount of olive oil.
- 2. Add salt and pepper, put shrimp on a napkin to soak in excess oil.
- 3. Cut parmesan into thin slices and tomatoes into halves.
- 4. Mix all the ingredients of the salad.
- 5. Season the salad with salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar. Put everything on the dish and serve.
5.3 Salad with strawberries and arugula
- strawberry - 4 pieces,
- Arugula - 30 g,
- cheese - 20 g,
- lemon juice - 1 tbsp. lt
- Balsamic Cream - 1 tbsp. l
For cooking you will need:
- 1. Wash the strawberries, peel them and dry.
- 2. Cut the large strawberries in half, and finely chop the whole strawberries.
- 3. For cooking salad, you can use soft cheese - mozzarella (cut into cubes), hard - parmesan (grate).
- 4. Wash the arugula and place on a plate.
- 5. Place chaotically strawberries and cheese on a dish to arugula, season the salad with lemon juice and balsamic.