Perennial asters are loved by our gardeners, for their unpretentiousness in care, the abundance of varieties, prolonged flowering.
They are very often used in landscape design.
This magnificent flower culture is found in domestic dachas everywhere.
Multicolored flowers delight us with a long warm autumn to frost.Perennial asters
Perennial is a herbaceous plant with small leaves and flowers that bloom at the end of the summer period.
Flowers are such flowers:
The height of perennials, depending on the varietal variety, is 20-150 cm.
The most popular low-growing and tall varieties of perennial asters will be considered below.
Low-growing varieties of perennial asters
The following varieties are the most popular:
- Alba This species grows dense bush with a small amount of foliage, which has an elongated shape, up to 400 mm high. It is a white Alpine flower culture, semi-double, up to 30 mm in diameter. The pure white color of the petals is in the shape of the tongue of the bird, the petals of the tube have a yellowish tint. Stem part is strong, with a small edge. The foliage at the roots is oblong, spatulate, with an edge. The foliage on the stem is small. For the winter period, it does not die off and sets off to winter green. Inflorescences - single baskets. Flowers on the edge of the reed, arranged in 1 row. It blooms in late spring and mid summer. Fruit box - achene with tufted hair. Seeds ripen at the end of the summer period and save the properties of clones. The grade is unpretentious. The main condition for growth success is to create a high-permeable alkaline soil, which contains calcium, and a place in the sun. If you do not comply with the conditions, the aster will die. Differs appearance neat growth and abundant color. Propagated by seeds, planted on a plot in the beds. You can propagate and shredding, as well as above-ground shoots. For the success of reproduction, the aster needs to constantly update or divide the curtain by about 36 months of growth, as over the years the flower becomes very thick and falls out. It can grow in the taiga zone of the country. Usually used for curbs, landing in a group in front, in mixborders, on alpine slides. Blooms profusely.
- Glory. A bluish tint up to 40 mm, very yellow against the background of pale blue flowers looks like a yellow middle. This variety of aster looks good against the background of evergreen crops in a non-group planting or in a company with soft white and bright yellow flowers. Small flowers look like miniature daisies. Gardeners love the variety for ease of care and long lasting lush color. Unlike other species, Glory begins to bloom at the very beginning of summer and is covered with flowers until frost. Stem part with a hard edge, gray-green foliage, roots are well developed. Low aster flowers are very beautiful. The foliage is going to the sockets at the roots, forms a half-spherical mini-bushes. Lavender-blue inflorescences, arranged in 1 pc. at the top. Glory is unpretentious, but grows better when creating good conditions. You can grow in partial shade, but better planted in the sun. In addition, with a lack of light, there is a chance to get powdery mildew. To the ground, these asters are not particularly whimsical, but they love domesticated, rather enriched. Earth should be permeable with drainage. In one place grow up to 6 years, but it is better to divide and carry out a transplant every 3 years. Before wintering, they mulch with soil or sand, and the buds must be closed. Glory effectively grow in a group against the background of dense evergreen plants.
- Goliath. Against the background of long, densely sitting on the stalk of the leaves - soft purple flowers. It blooms undersized plant about 30 days. It is used to decorate alpine slides, rockeries. Plant culture is easy to maintain, grows best in open sunny areas in the ground with drainage, in alkaline soil, which is rich in calcium. Used in alpine slides, curbs and in the foreground mixborders.
- Dunkle Shona. Bush fluffy, daisy flowers of 30 mm in size, reed petals purple hue. Astra is frost resistant, looks good in a group with other colors or as a frame of the foot of an alpine slide. Dunkle Shona is a magnificent non-capricious perennial that grows in one place for up to 6 years. It blooms late, mainly in the autumn period, which makes them the most popular decoration of the summer cottage at the end of the season. Look good in the company of decorative cereals - panic and pennisetum. In the group it is well planted with a clove or creeping hypospila.
It is good to plant in the sun, but a half-shaded spot or a lace shade will also come up due to neighboring plants.
If the groundwater passes near the ground level, then a 100 mm gravel pad is created when planting to protect against root decay.
The end of March is well suited for sowing seedlings. If it is necessary to plant seeds in the way of planting on a plot, then this period depends on the location of the villa.
In the south of Russia, the beds are planted depending on the weather in the first days of April and covered with PE-film in order to have conditions like in a greenhouse.
In the suburbs sown in early May.
Tall perennial asters
The following most popular varieties:
- Virginian The plant grows up to 150 cm in size. The stem part is vigorously grown, the variety is strongly branched, the stems are bare or trimmed. Baskets-inflorescences up to 20 mm, paniculate. Flowers with reed petals are arranged in 5-6 rows, mostly pale lilac and pinkish. Blooms profusely in the first month of autumn. On each of the shoots grow up to 200 inflorescences, very juicy and dense, sometimes so that it is completely not noticeable green.
- Amethyst. The size of the stem varietal varieties up to a meter, flowers dark mauve, semi-double to 35 mm. The plant blooms at the end of summer and pleases with abundant color until frost. The flowers have a yellow heart, so they look like tall daisies and grow in the form of bushes. Amethysts should not be placed near small perennial plants, as they will remain completely invisible. On the site (under the PE-film) sent in late April, sprout shoots. Sown on seedlings in the spring. The material grows at a temperature of 15-18 C. The sprouts dive according to scheme 6 by 6 cm. They are sent to the beds at the end of May. It is planted with an interval of 350 mm. It is necessary to plant in the sun, places protected from the wind, with good drainage. Soil must be fertilized, but the compositions without fresh manure. It is easy to care, it should be watered, fed and loosened the soil.
- Ballard Flowers lilac large, gathered in loose shields with a pleasant aroma. The bush reaches a height of 100-110 cm. It blooms from late summer to frost. Winter hardiness: aster is resistant to frost. Land should be processed to a depth of 200-250 mm. Soil is required loose, weeds should be regularly cleaned, during the dry season it is necessary to water with warm water. Be sure to feed. Plant in the sun, not on the windy side of the garden. Ballard looks great in bouquets and vases. It grows very well in bulk group plantings.
- Lizette Perennial blooms late, blooming profusely. In the autumn period, the bush, which consists of a set of shoots, is decorated with a large number of medium-sized semi-double flowers in the shape of a chamomile, which have a reddish-pink color. Star inflorescences blend beautifully with frosted green leaves. The size of the inflorescence is about 20-30 mm, the bush reaches a height of 100 cm. It blooms in early autumn. Not afraid of frost. The soil should be loose, be sure to weed weeds, in dry weather, watered with warm water. Also need to fertilize. Lizette loves the sun and does not tolerate the wind. Planted better in groups in large areas.
So that tall, multi-asters do not die, it is necessary to prevent diseases and treat them by attacking pests.
In general, if you like asters, feel free to plant these perennials in your garden plot. Their bright flowers will delight from spring to late autumn.
Adding an article to a new collection
Perennial asters are the perfect acquisition for your garden. More than two hundred species, a rich palette of shades, unpretentiousness in care, many options for using in the design of the landscape, and most importantly - these flowers are not afraid of frost and frost.
Perennial ground cover asters from the genus Aster are also called "octagon" or "frost" for the remarkable property of most varieties to bloom up to real frosts and to delight the eye with bright color spots in the empty and dull autumn garden.
We will help you navigate among the many species and varieties of perennial asters and show you how best to grow it.
Spring (early flowering) perennial asters
The main period of flowering of these plants falls on May-June.
This is one of the most early-blooming asters in our latitudes. The bush is compact, dense, upright, its height varies depending on the variety and ranges from 15 to 50 cm. The stems and leaves of the plant are slightly pubescent, flowers with a diameter of 4-7 cm are collected in single inflorescences. Colors - white, pink, lilac, heart bright yellow.
The plant prefers loose fertile soil, sunny warm areas and abundant watering. This Astra has a high frost resistance and is excellent for growing in rocky gardens.
Summer (medium flowering) perennial asters
These plants delight lush flowering in July and August.
Its compact spherical bushes reach a height of 60 cm and in the period of flowering are covered with camomile-shaped flowers from pink to dark purple hue. The diameter of the flowers - 3-5 cm, they are collected in inflorescences-shields. Seeds ripen in September.
The highest and most powerful variety of Italian aster - the so-called "Bessarabian", reaches a height of 70-75 cm. Its flowers are larger than that of other asters, the petals are white-pink or purple, the core is dark brown.
Italian Astra needs a neutral or slightly alkaline loamy soil, a warm sunny area, and abundant watering. It is advisable to protect plants from strong winds or provide them with support. For the winter shown preventive mulching.
Bushes are round, with a diameter of 50 and a height of 80 cm, during the flowering period, completely covered with small inflorescences-baskets. The diameter of the flowers is 2-3 cm, the petals are quite rare, long and narrow, the colors vary from pale lavender to rich lilac, the core is bright yellow.
A fertile, loose soil with an abundance of humus, a sunny warm spot, very moderate watering is suitable for growing asters of strand-off. It has high drought-resistant properties, resistant to powdery mildew. It is advisable to protect the plants from the cold wind or provide them with support.
The “reduced” shape of this flower has become widespread among our gardeners. These dwarf perennial asters Nanus in height reach no more than 30 cm and are distinguished by the smallest leaves and flowers.
Quickly growing and fairly high (up to 70 cm) bushes of this perennial during flowering form real snow-white translucent "clouds" on the site, for which gardeners greatly appreciate the plant. Due to this property asters often planted as an array.
Stems well leafy. Small flowers, chamomile, with rarely located petals, white with a yellow center, collected in small inflorescences, umbrellas.
Spreading aster prefers to grow in loose fertile soil, rich in humus, on a sunny warm area, likes very moderate watering. It grows well in partial shade and even in the shade. It is frost-resistant, it is not subject to fungal diseases.
Autumn (late flowering) perennial asters
The main period of their flowering is September-November. This is the most numerous group among all perennial asters.
Blue, wine-red, salmon, white, purple, blue, pink - the color options for the petals of this autumn aster are countless.
Her bushes of pubescent or bare branched long stems can be in height from 50 cm to 1.5-2 m. Usually they are planted with a tapeworm in the center of the flower bed, covering the "bare legs" with other plantings, since The main flower "mass" of these asters is concentrated in the upper part of the stems.
Flower baskets with a diameter of 3-5 cm are collected in large paniculate inflorescences. Flowering is very abundant and colorful, but not all varieties of this species bloom for a long time.
To grow New England asters, choose a sunny plot with fertile soil, water the flower moderately, but regularly. The plant is quite cold-resistant, almost not afraid of diseases and pests, but it is demanding to feed. About once every 5 years, the bushes should be divided and transplanted.
In the people they are often called septibrins. These plants grow quickly enough and form large, erect, richly flowering and strongly branched bushes up to 1.3 m high. . The species is very rich in varieties, including terry and semi-double.
The plants are quite unpretentious, frost-resistant, but they are susceptible to powdery mildew (with the exception of some varieties, for example, Royal Ruby). The soil for them requires fertile, sufficiently moist and fertilized. The place is preferably sunny, protected from strong winds. It is advisable to replant it every 3-4 years, in the autumn or spring pour compost.
The bushes bloom from about the middle of the stem, so it’s worthwhile to take care of the selection of plants that should be planted at their foot.
With proper care, it forms compact, dense spherical bushes with branched stems 20-50 cm in height, depending on the variety. The flowers are about 4 cm in diameter, of various shades (blue, white, lavender, pink, purple, etc.), with a bright yellow core, gathered in loose inflorescences-shields.
This is a great option for decoration of curbs and garden paths, as well as for disembarking in balcony hanging pots. Due to the abundant dark green bushes also look good outside the flowering period.
For growing plants, choose sunny (or openwork shaded) areas with a loose, well-hydrated alkaline soil with a high nutrient content.
Astra is a shrub plant - it is frost-resistant (it needs a good shelter in snow-free winters) and quite unpretentious, but subject to powdery mildew. At least every 3-4 years, the bushes must be divided and rejuvenated.
It grows with large and wide "shaggy" bushes with a height of 0.9-1.2 m. It blooms very copiously, but very late, with small (1-1.5 cm in diameter) white or pink flowers with a yellow-brown core. Shoots are straight, strong, branched, foliage - narrow, needle.
Plants are unpretentious, relatively drought-resistant, resistant to pests. Feel good on sunny or semi-shaded windless areas with light, loose, composted or humus soil.
It requires regular watering and timely rejuvenation of the bushes by dividing (although it is heather asters that are more tolerant in this respect and can “wait” 5 or more instead of 3-4 years).
In general, the care of these plants is simple. It is enough to choose a well-lit area with a non-acidic, loose, well-fertilized soil without stagnant water. And also in time to carry out mulching and fertilizing with organic matter.
With regard to reproduction, the best option - the division and seating of bushes in the spring period every few years. Perennial asters can be propagated by seed, planting them in early March and not forgetting to properly care for the seedlings. We wrote about all the nuances of this process earlier.
Properly selected varieties of perennial asters are able to decorate any garden, pleasing with abundant blooms from early summer to late autumn and without requiring increased attention to themselves.
Description and characteristics
Astra perennial bush refers to the Aster family or Asteraceae. It is this plant that is the true aster, while the more famous annuals belong to a completely different family of flowers (Kalli-stefus).
In nature, perennial asters can be found in Europe and Asia, in North Africa and North America. Ornamental shrubs began to grow on the beds due to their late flowering and suitability for cutting: in the autumn garden perennial aster is one of the few bright spots.
Shrub asters can be recognized by the following features:
- herbaceous rhizome plant,
- aster stems are straight branched,
- height of the bush can vary from 25 to 160 cm,
- leaves of a dark green shade, have the lanceolate form,
- the size of the leaf plates to the top of the stem gradually decreases,
- inflorescences of cluster asters - baskets, the diameter of which can be from 1 to 7 cm,
- the edges of the inflorescence of the reed form, and in the middle of the aster - tubular petals of yellow color,
- оттенки астр могут быть самыми разными: белые, розовые, синие, фиолетовые, бордовые и другие,
- строение цветка простое, полумахровое или махровое,
- цветение у этого растения длительное – около 35-40 дней,
- кустовые сорта светолюбивы, плохо переносят сильную жару и засуху,
- to the composition of the soil, the plant is unpretentious, grows well on heavy and clay soils (aster shows itself best on humus soil),
- perennials tolerate frost well, so they can winter in the middle lane without shelter,
- every 5-6 years aster bushes need to be separated and set aside,
- flowers multiply by seeds and division.
The variety of varieties of perennial asters is so great that only one of this flower can create interesting compositions in which plants differ not only in appearance, but also in terms of flowering.
Types of perennial asters, depending on flowering time:
- Early varieties bloom in late May and continue to delight the eye until the last days of June (these varieties are also called spring).
- Summer asters have an average flowering time - from July to the end of August.
- Late or autumn flowers open their buds with the arrival of September, and their flowering ends with heavy frosts and snow.
Some experts share the species of perennial asters also depending on the height of the plants. It turns out three groups of varieties:
- The undersized or curb aster has a maximum height of 25-30 cm. This flower resembles a ground cover, therefore, it is successfully used in the design of fashionable rockeries and alpine gardens today.
- Asters garden have average parameters of bushes - about 40-70 cm. Most often, such a plant resembles a ball in its form, the bushes look neat and elegant, perfectly harmonize with other plants, they can frame hedges and garden paths.
- Perennial high asters can have a maximum height of 150-160 cm. These flowers are best used in the center of the flower bed: tall shrubs will delight the lush greenery throughout the season, and closer to autumn they will dissolve many variegated inflorescences.
Common Perennial Types
Since there are a lot of varieties of perennial aster (and this variety is easy to see in the photo), experts suggest dividing the bush flowers into several species. Specific characteristics will help inexperienced florist to quickly determine the type of flower, because they take into account the timing of flowering, plant height and growing conditions.
Below are listed the most popular species of perennial bush asters in Russia.
The Alpine group of asters most of all loves the sun and tolerates even extreme cold. The inflorescences of these plants are single baskets of large sizes, the diameter of which is 2-6 cm.
Alpine varieties begin to bloom in the second year after planting. They belong to the spring flowers, that is, early bloom dates - from May to June. As a rule, these plants are low - about 30 cm. A distinctive feature is a very lush bloom, inflorescences similar to daisies. Duration of flowering - about 30 days.
Italian Astra - representative of the summer subspecies of flowers. This is a tall perennial, reaching 60 cm and blooming from July to the end of August. The inflorescences of these asters are collected in thyroid baskets with a diameter of about 4 cm.
All varieties of the Italian type of asters have inflorescences painted in lilac-blue shades. Seeds of these plants ripen in late September.
Another summer flower, the height of the bushes which can reach 75-80 cm. The inflorescences on the shrub are numerous, all of them are painted in shades of purple. It is easy to learn this look on dark brown middle of inflorescence.
New England aster is often called American, it is a shrub from the autumn group. Baskets of such varieties are disclosed in September and the whole autumn pleases with lush flowering. For New England asters, autumn frosts are not dangerous, its flowering can continue even under snow.
Standard crowded stems of the New England varieties can grow up to two meters. The inflorescences are large, about 4 cm in diameter, 25-40 flowers each are collected in large brushes.
The height of the perennial shrubs can vary greatly depending on the variety, and varies from 40 to 150 cm. The stems of this aster are vigorous, woody, and hairless. The inflorescences are collected in panicles, their average diameter is about 2 cm.
The coloration of the Novobelgian aster is predominantly pink-lilac. View in bloom in September. Feature - a very dense arrangement of the inflorescences, between which there is almost no visible foliage.
In bush asters, the stems are soft, pubescent, reach a height of 50 cm. Inflorescences with a diameter of about 3 cm are scattered over the entire surface of the bush, their shape is sparse-shchitkovaya.
In the group of perennial shrub asters, there are also creeping varieties. A dwarf variety can be used as a ground cover.
Photos and names of agerativous varieties of perennial cluster asters are less popular, because these plants are not so much decorative as they are healing. The stems of such flowers are straight, smooth, growing to 100 cm. The inflorescences are colored in blue, small, gathered in shields.
For therapeutic purposes, all parts of the ageratic aster are used: stems, leaves and flowers.
Astra spherical perennial different shape of the bush, which is a perfectly correct ball. The height of this plant is average - about 40-50 cm. The inflorescences are medium-sized, but there are a lot of them on the shoots. The flowers of a spherical aster are pink, and the middle is small, has a yellow color.
The terry species of perennial inflorescences are very thick, sometimes they resemble colored balls. The structure of the flower is complex, reed petals are arranged in several rows. Coloring asters may be different.
Heather aster differs from other species in the structure of the inflorescences and the appearance of the bush. The shoots of this plant tend to the ground, and the bushes are pyramid-shaped. The height of the bushes is decent - about a meter. Inflorescences bloom in September.
The flowers of heather aster are small, but their abundance creates the feeling of a whole carpet. Painted flowers in light shades (white, pink). Most of all this type of perennial is suitable for growing in parks and squares, decorating gardens.
Another medicinal plant is the perennial Astra Tatar. The shrubs of this flower grow to a meter and a half, its inflorescences are small, pale pink or dull blue.
A distinctive feature is a large bright yellow center, which gives the shrub ornamentation. Tatar Astra loves moisture and coolness; in nature, a flower grows along the banks of reservoirs and on forest edges.
It is impossible to list all varieties of perennial asters. Today, these flowers are only gaining popularity, so finding a very wide range of seeds and shoots is difficult to sell.
The following varieties of perennial are considered the most beautiful and bright flower growers.
Srednerosly bushes of this aster in a form remind hemispheres. The shoots of the flower are branchy, even, reaching a height of 50 cm. The inflorescences are terry, very elegant, painted in a rich red-crimson hue. Jenny blooms from September to frost.
Lady in blue
One of the varieties of the summer alpine aster. The height of the shoots is a maximum of 40 cm, the bushes are in the shape of the correct half of the ball. The diameter of the flowers is 3-3.5 cm, the petals are painted in blue and blue shades. Lady in Blue blooms for a long time - at least 35 days.
Varieties called Gremlin intended for cutting. The stems of these asters are straight and long, and the inflorescences consist of oblong tubular petals, gathered into large pompons. Astra Gremlin Sunny Day is painted in a cheerful yellow shade. There are also varieties with red, purple and orange flowers.
A rare species of perennial asters that lives in nature in the Far East. The bushes of these flowers grow to 80-85 cm. The inflorescences have the form of baskets, their petals are painted in delicate blue-blue shades. The center of Maaki is bright and yellow.
One of the new Belgian varieties of shrub asters. Astra with long and even stems is perfect for cutting. The rich blue tint of flowers blends perfectly with the yellow-golden gamut of the autumn garden.
The height of the bushes of this aster is small - about 30-40 cm. Apollo's inflorescences are snow-white, very similar to small daisies. Under good growing conditions, the shrub grows quickly and can cover large areas.
Compact curb variety, forming a neat spherical bushes 25-30 cm in height. Astra Cassel is perfect for group plantings, blooms from September to October. The shades of this perennial lilac-purple.
Novobelgiysky grade with semi-double flowers. The inflorescences are painted in bright lilac color, the center of the baskets is yellow. The bushes are quite high, from 80 to 100 cm. Sarah Ballard is blooming from August until frost. You can use this aster for cutting.
Very picturesque aster with inflorescences of wine-red hue. The bushes are neat, spherical, they have a small height of about 30 cm. The Starlight variety is often used for pot growing, compact plants can frame borders and adorn alpine slides.
Growing perennial shrub aster is easy, because the plant is unpretentious, requires the simplest care and a minimum of attention from the grower. The most important thing is to choose a suitable place for flowers. Asters love the sun, but do not tolerate extreme heat and drought.
Propagate perennial varieties better by dividing the bush. It is preferable to do this in spring, so that flowers have time to acclimatize and develop the root system. The planting scheme depends on the height of asters: low-growing varieties are planted at intervals of 20-30 cm, the tallest bushes are not thicker than 50-80 cm.
Care for perennials is as follows:
- Regular watering during dry periods and more frequent irrigation at the stage of active growth of green mass.
- Accurate soil loosening between watering or mulching, which is more secure, since the root system of asters is superficial.
- Infrequent feedings with swollen manure, bird droppings or peat, mineral fertilizers with an emphasis on phosphorus (it is necessary to fertilize flowers once a year, starting from the second year of life).
- Annual liming of acidic soil (lime is simply poured on a bush trimmed before winter).
- Tying up tall varieties and spreading shrubs.
- Pinching the tops of the shoots allows you to get more abundant flowering.
- Pruning asters before hibernation - the stalks are shortened to 10-15 cm.
Competently selected varieties of perennial asters will delight in lush flowering throughout the warm season. The variety of types and varieties of these bushes is simply amazing: every florist can choose something suitable for his plot. Most of all in perennial flowers their unpretentiousness and surprising frost resistance is appreciated.
Naturally, the root system does not develop and flower buds are not laid.
The plant requires triple feeding during the growing season. Of course, they can live without additional conditions, but flower fertilizer will lead to more flowering and beautiful bush form.
It is worth fulfilling such recommendation:
All dressings should be made only after watering - this will save the root system of the plant.
Diseases and pests
Fusarium - this disease is not treated, all perennial Asters infected with this disease are destroyed outside the site. But the disease can be prevented, engaged in prevention:
- Do not fertilize manure soil intended for planting Asters.
- The soil is lime, thus reducing its acidity.
Fusarium is dangerous not only for asters - this disease is included in the list of the most dangerous for a number of plants. For example, we have already written about him in the section, which diseases are dangerous for Dieffenbachia.Incurability makes Fusarium one of the most dangerous enemies of asters
The rust on the sheet plates is the convex parts that are on the underside of the sheet plate. Diseased plants destroyed, and the rest are processed by the drug "Hom".
Sometimes on the bushes you can see aphid and onion bug - these pests can easily be destroyed if you dilute one Iskra tablet into a bucket of water.
Flower breeding methods
In addition to the seed breeding of perennial Asters, there are more simple ways:
- The division of the adult bush.
The division of the bush is The easiest waywhich should be propagated perennial plant. The best time for this is spring. The division of an adult bush can be practiced once every 4 years, this time is enough for the divided bush to acquire a large number of roots and twigs on the bush.
Therefore, in order to propagate a bush, it is necessary:
- Dig up an old bush.
- Shovel to divide it into parts, in which there will be roots and vegetative mass of a plant.
- Planted in the prepared holes and watered in order to better settle down.
Grafting is carried out just as easyas the division of the bush. To this end, in June, the top cuttings are cut and planted in the ground where there is no sun. For hothouse conditions, it is well worth covering with a three-liter glass jar.
Perennial Astra is unpretentious plantwhich deserves its place in the garden in flowerbeds. As without it we do not think of an autumn garden. Adhering to not complicated rules of caring for her, one can observe all her beauty when she blooms against the background of yellowed foliage.
Flowers are available to absolutely everyone. They attract the attention of gardeners for their unpretentiousness and beauty. Asters are often planted with seedlings. As a rule, the height of the plant varies from 10 to 150 cm. Externally, the flowers resemble small stars, and each flower has its own unique characteristics depending on the variety.
At the moment, more than 200 types of asters have been bred, among which are the following: Freekap Monk, Rose Turm, Delightful mix, Classic, Royal Ruby, Montpensier, Pink, Gray-haired Lady, Princess, Dragon.
Popular annual species
Listed below are popular varieties of annual asters with a brief description.
The plant reaches a height of 70 cm. Often it is used for bouquets. On one plant there are up to 24 branches with needle-shaped flowers, their diameter is 10 cm. They bloom from July to August. The colors are different. Often they are planted alone or planted in flowerbeds. Ideal for cutting.
The average height of the plant is 70 cm, the inflorescences are gustomahrovym and terry. In diameter, the flowers are no more than 12 cm, but outwardly they are rather large and snow-white. Bloom profusely for at least two months. Flowers will long remain fresh and beautiful in bouquets. They are often planted in beds or grown for cutting.
Large-flowered variety shows excellent resistance to fusarium. On long stems are large and beautiful inflorescences. Each branch has many blooming flowers, so even a single branch replaces a whole bunch. The bud's diameter is 16–17 cm. The Asters of the Lady Coral can be of several blooms: cream, red, yellow, white, black, or pink. The preservation of freshness, aroma and beauty in the bouquet is excellent, so the flowers are most often grown for cutting.
Asters of this variety are universal, they are raised both for flower arrangements, and for decoration of gardens. Shrubs grow to 75 cm, acquiring a semi-sprawling form. Resistant to fusarium, as well as sudden changes in temperature.
The diameter of the semi-double inflorescences does not exceed 11 cm. The name was given to the variety for a reason. Externally, the flowers resemble a bride's veil or a light cloud, which will please the eye of even the most demanding and sophisticated lovers of beauty.
The pyramid is exactly the form that flowers of this variety possess. The plant grows up to 80 cm in length, has dense double-sized inflorescences. As a rule, the diameter of flowers is 12 cm. The variety begins to give color from August to September. The buds are pink, purple, beige, red and multi-colored.
Bush asters bloom in summer, the plant grows up to 45 cm. 10–11 flowers with a pronounced shade appear on each branch. The inner row consists of tubular petals, the last row of reeds. The size of the inflorescences does not exceed 8 cm.
As for the characteristics, the sizes of plants range from 30 cm to 0.5 m. They are used to decorate the autumn garden. As a rule, the inflorescences of these varieties are not more than 3 cm in diameter. Strong, but thin stems branch well, creating a dense and beautiful shrub. Flowering begins in the first days of September.
- Marie Ballard. Vigorous garden bushes with blue buds, plant height - up to 95 cm. They bloom about two months, suitable for bouquets.
- Violetta. Compact shrub with purple-blue flowers. It is recommended to plant at the beginning of the flower bed, so that it does not overshadow other plants.
- White Lady. White or light purple petals, small flowers, the variety is ideal for group plantings.
Looks like daisies. These are low bushes - up to 70 cm. In July, the first flowers appear. The petals are of the following shades: lilac, blue, purple, blue or lavender.
The best are such Italian varieties:
- Dwarf - multicolored chamomile asters. On a spherical bush numerous densely-double flowers bloom. The first petals are already visible in July and keep to frost. It is best to plant the seeds is not in shady areas. Wind and rain do not affect decorativeness and beauty. Часто растения выращивают на балконах.
- Томсон – низкорослые растения, достигающие 45 см в высоту. Цветение начинается в июле и продолжается до заморозков.
- Герман Лене – сорт, гарантирующий обильное цветение. Часто вырастают лепестки светло-фиолетового оттенка.
- Rose - tubular petals of light brown color, and reed - pink. The basket is no larger than 4 cm in diameter. Ideal for compositions and bouquets.
New England varieties have a lush flowering, which starts from September and lasts until the first frost. There are two popular varieties:
- Bars Pink - refers to tall, reaching a half meter in height. The diameter of the racemes does not exceed 4 cm. Petals are yellow or carmine. They are combined with other plants, including steppe ones. Suitable for cutting.
- Konstgans - inflorescences of a tall bush are collected in a brush. Thanks to the petals and leaves, a green-purple carpet is obtained.
Opened in small or large buds. Varieties recommended by experienced growers:
- Dunkle Shona - bush aster, visually reminiscent of chamomile: with yellow "inside" and violet reed petals. The variety is frost resistant, looks beautiful in flower beds.
- Rosea - long-flowered variety. It pleases the eye from June to the first frost. Externally, the buds resemble a wild rose.
- Goliath - elongated green leaves, tightly seated on the stem. Soft-purple flowers bloom only a month.
Differs in plentiful flowering. Baskets are usually blue. The Anderson variety flowers are the smallest representatives, because the height of the plant is up to 8 cm. The varieties on the Russian market are little known.
Features of growing
It is worth remembering that seedlings are planted in late May. Almost all varieties, including the King size, can withstand temperatures down to -4 ° C. Before planting, you need to dig up the beds and make small holes, keeping a distance of 20 cm. After planting, the plant is watered.
The plants themselves are not whimsical. They like the light of the sun as well as the slight shadow. If the leaves start to wither, it speaks of drought. Asters do not need to be poured, but still they love regular watering. It is recommended to loosen the soil every time it rains or watering is over.
With regard to care, annual varieties need to be fed 14 days after planting, perennial - after 2 years. Often use potassium sulfate and superphosphate, which make the mixture.
Elena, 45 years old (city of Elektrostal): “In that year the American beauty planted a variety, with flowers. Caring is not hard, fertilized only once. I use for beauty.
Olga, 38 years old (city of Tula): “I prefer perennial varieties. Once planted, and bloom for several years. I do not do bouquets, but for myself in the country - what is needed. Hue does not matter, so different soot varieties. "
Asters like everyone. For the first of September, they are simply irreplaceable. They will make a flower bed in the garden unusual and refined. The main thing - compliance with recommendations for growing.