Agriculture is becoming an increasingly attractive small business. For novice farmers more suitable poultry. Working with ducks and chickens is easier than caring for large livestock. To reduce costs, you can do some of the work yourself. Including landscaping: bed, drinkers. Duck feeders are also easy to do by hand.
How to make a feeder for ducklings
Requirements for feeders
First of all, it should be comfortable and as easy to use as possible. It should not be particularly difficult filling it with food, cleaning and even disinfection. If you are planning to make your own ducklings feeders, it is recommended to use durable and non-perishable materials. It will not be difficult to make it independently when there is a very small livestock in the yard, especially since there are many illustrated photos of instructions on the Internet that describe the design process in detail.
To do this, fit the format of "trough", which can be built from wood. A similar product format is used to feed a duck dry feed or a wet mash. To realize the desired savings in food, protecting it from scattering, it is worth filling the feeder no more than one third of its depth. Do not forget also that chicks and adults need not only to eat, but also to drink. A convenient drinking bowl should be installed close to the feeder.
The most practical option for using the duck flock will be an elongated tank with high walls, a side and additional protection that will prevent the bird from climbing with its paws into the feeder in order to trample the food. When choosing a species, do not forget that its size should correspond to the age of the bird. For example, until the twentieth day of life, the duckling receives 5 centimeters of the front of feeding with wet mash and 3 centimeters of the front of feeding with dry food. For older age is allocated 12 and 5 centimeters. Adult ducks will need 15 centimeters of the front of feeding with wet mash and 6 centimeters - dry feed.
If you are wondering what materials are suitable for the manufacture of feeders, then it is not worth a long time to guess. And for an adult duck, and for a duckling most ordinary wooden boards and bars with a thickness of 25 millimeters are suitable. For convenience, the top can be nailed, which will serve as a handle for its transportation and a barrier for the duck, which will decide to get there legs.
The principles of making standard duck feeders have been described above. The “trough” format is great for both dry fodder and fodder. It is a universal solution for the poultry farmer who breeds ducks on the plot.
For feeding mineral feeds it is recommended to make a capacity for several compartments - for shell, gravel and, for example, lime.
For such a format, feeders can be hung on the walls so that they are located at a height of 20 centimeters from the ground. If it is a question of making such a feeder for ducklings, then it will have to be suspended at a height of 5 centimeters from the floor. Basic dimensions: width - 15 centimeters, length - 100 centimeters.
There is another version of the tank for dry feed, allowing for a few days to forget about filling. This is a bunker-type product, which is an inverted tank with food and cutouts for feeding food, mounted on a pallet (pictured below). Food will spill out of the bunker gradually, as the ducks eat it from the pan. A very convenient option for large household farms, when there is no time to constantly check the fullness of feeders.
The last existing option is an automaton. It is used for dry fodder mixtures. It is better if this manger is one-sided so that it can be hung on the wall. Without fail, the machine will have a cover and a rotating rail above it.
When a manger is needed for dispensing greens to ducks, a simple mesh design is used, which has a bevelled front side.
Do it yourself
The easiest version of the duck feeder is made very quickly and with minimal time and money. You need to prepare a plastic container with a handle, for example, a canister, a netting net and a very sharp knife. The container must be thoroughly rinsed and dried, and then cut off the front part of it. It is necessary to make an incision on the bottle handle so that the product can be hung on the grid-fence of the house. Directly in the tank feed is poured. It is very important to place it at a comfortable height for the bird - so that it does not go hungry and so that it does not drop it and not scatter all the food.
What to consider before starting work
When constructing feeders, it is worth considering the fact that the structures must meet certain requirements. This will ensure normal conditions for feeding the birds. So, what you need to pay attention to:
The age of the bird. The design and size of the feeder must match the age of the ducks. So, for ducklings in the first month of life, 5 cm of free space is allocated. In the future, with the growth of birds, the approach increases. 15 cm feeders are allocated for an adult. If dry mixes are used for feeding, the sizes are divided into two:
- Material. For the construction of feeders it is recommended to use materials that have high strength and are able to retain their properties for a long time. This is especially true for resistance to decay. For dry food the best option would be a wooden duck feeder with your own hands. As for liquid mixtures, it is better for them to use products from plastic or metal.
- Depth. Drinkers must meet the needs and preferences of the bird. So, for ducklings shallow containers fit. As for adults, they prefer to immerse their heads entirely. Therefore, the depth should be sufficient for carrying out water procedures on hot days.
- Quality of processing. After construction on the structure should not be burrs and sharp corners. Otherwise, the bird may be injured.
Given all the requirements, you can build a quality water bottle.
This design is best suited for dry food. The peculiarity is that it is made of wood in a fairly short time. All you need is a file and plywood. First of all, you need to decide on the size of the structure and make a drawing. On it is carried out cutting material. The feeder is recommended to be installed at a height of 18 cm from the floor. This will create a comfortable environment for the approach of birds.
Trough homemade duck feeders are also used for wet food. In this case, galvanized sheets are recommended for the construction.
Video “Feeding trough from a sewer pipe with your own hands”
This video shows the process of making the feeder, which is suitable for feeding any poultry aged 1-2 months.
Drinking bowls and feeders for ducks.
Before breeding animals, a farmer must think through how to create comfortable conditions for their housing. Choose at your will any kind of housekeeping, or buy new technical devices or do your own hands. The latter option is acceptable when a small farm, which will benefit from the application of their own labor.
Simple drinking bowl for ducklings with their own hands
Device for ducks can be easily done by hand. However, despite this, many poultry farmers continue to pour water into buckets, basins, and other kinds of bowls that are no longer needed for use at home. The water in them will be dirty, as pets frolic in the barn and can even swim in such tanks. Buckets and pots will have to constantly wash and fill there with new water. Moreover, there is a big risk that the tank will tip over and injure the ducks.
Important! Young individuals can get into the bucket and drown in it.
Therefore, it is worth considering the manufacture of at least a simple drinking bowl for ducklings. To accomplish this, you will need a PVC pipe with a diameter of 110 or 200 mm. With the help of a drill or jigsaw, several holes are made throughout its length. Holes should be 6 × 8, 7 × 7 or 8 × 10 cm.
On both sides of the pipe set bends. They are needed to make it convenient to pour water into the device, and also to drain it from time to time, replacing it with fresh one. For further action will need special brackets. With their help, the finished device is attached to the wall. Drinking bowl for ducklings with their own hands ready. By the way, you can buy materials for the construction of such a device in the hardware store. Also such a drinking bowl with your own hands can be made not only for ducklings, but also goslings and chickens.
Simple drinking bowl for ducklings with their own hands
Recommendations for the manufacture
What only modern craftsmen do not think up, but to make a good feeder, you only need what is in the yard, in the garage or in the storeroom. Purchasing materials is not necessary at all.
- The material depends on the consistency of the feed. For porridge more convenient metal or plastic container. Under the dry food can build a wooden trough. Improved equipment is often used: washed cans, old pipes from a disassembled sewage system, small plastic buckets.
- The place where the trough will be located must be kept clean, without unnecessary items. Particularly voracious ducklings can swallow coins and jewelry that have lost the hostess.
- The feeder must be fixed or heavy so as not to turn it over.
- In the manufacture of need to rely on the drawing, the design should be as safe as possible. Then the ducks in the process of eating do not harm themselves and other individuals.
- Ducks - clean poultry. Therefore, the feeder must always be clean. To ensure the absence of debris in the water, it is necessary to make it convenient for regular washing and protected from the paws of the bird.
- Creating a feeder for ducks with your own hands, you need to consider the number and age of ducklings. For every little duckling there is 3-5 cm of a side. The exact length depends on which feed is distributed. Eating a simple dry bird feed requires less space. For one-year-old ducks, this distance should be 12 cm, the adult bird will need a little more space.
In the manufacture of devices for the indouk does not necessarily make a new drawing, it is possible to follow the same plan.
What should be the feeder
Starting to manufacture the trough, it is important to consider the mandatory requirements for home-made design. Here are some tips that will help you:
- The design of the feeder should be convenient for the bird, so that it can be easily filled with feed, as well as easy to transport and cleanse from forage residues and contaminants.
- If the feeder is made of wood, then you need to use quality wood.
- It is important to pay attention to the careful processing of materials and the safety of the structure for both birds and the poultry farmer: the feeder should not have sharp edges and burrs to avoid injuries and cuts.
- For birds of different ages, the corresponding dimensions of the feeders are necessary: for chicks up to 1 month, an approach to food is left at 5 cm, up to 12 months old - up to 10–12 cm, and adult birds - 20 cm
- Material for the manufacture of structures must be durable and resistant to rotting (wood, metal, plastic).
Bunker feeders are a popular option. Often they are used for dry feed. The main advantage of the design is that quite a large amount of the mixture is poured into it, which is enough for a long time. For the manufacture of bunker feeders using both wood and sheet metal.Bunker feeder for ducks do it yourself
In the latter case, it will be enough just to put the appropriate marks and bend the material. All necessary connections are made with screws.
How to make feeders for ducks
There are containers for dry and wet food, among which are bunker, automatic and gutter. At the same time, if the feeder is made of metal or plastic, then it can be universal.
The feeder of this type consists of 2 parts: the receiver and the tray. The bunker design is intended for the gradual supply of fresh, dry feed as they are eaten, and also protects the feed itself from dirt and dust. Below we describe how to make a bunker feeder of sheet material.
- First you need to make on paper a drawing design with the necessary measurements and prepare the patterns. The diagram shows the approximate dimensions of the structure, but you yourself can adjust the dimensions of your feeder to the number of individuals in your farm.
- This feeder is made of two identical sidewalls, the frontal and rear walls of the bunker, as well as the lid attached with hinges. The bottoms of the sides and back will form the bottom feeding box (tray).
- Then cut out the sides and bottom. When calculating the parameters, it is important to take into account that one duck will require 7–8 cm of tray width, therefore the number of individuals multiplies by this value. The result will be the bunker capacity shown in the photo.
To make a bunker trough, you will need the following materials:
- thick plywood or chipboard 2 cm thick
- wooden reinforcement bars
- hacksaw (jigsaw),
- screwdriver (drill),
- screws for wooden products,
- fine-grained skin,
- tape measure or ruler
- furniture hinges small size (90 degrees).
Instructions for the manufacture of bunker feeders:Bunker Feeder Drawing
- On the sheet material to draw all the details of the patterns.
- Jigsaw cut the fragments drawn.
- Sand the edges of the fragments with sandpaper.
- Using a screwdriver to make grooves for screws.
- Install reinforcement rails on the connecting joints and tighten the entire structure with self-tapping screws.
- Attach the box cover to the structure using furniture hinges.
A tank for feeding ducks with dry feed is an automatic feeder, which belongs to bunker-type products. In this case, it is an inverted tank with feed and openings for feeding food, mounted on a pallet. With this design, as it is eaten, food gradually pours out of the container onto the pan. You can make an auto-feeder out of a plastic bucket without spending much effort and without drawing up a preliminary drawing.
For the manufacture of automatic tanks for feed will need:
- a bucket of thick-walled plastic with a lid of 8–10 liters,
- a wide bowl for a pallet (the diameter of the bowl should be 30 cm larger than the bottom of the bucket, and the height of the sides should be at least 15 cm) or a tray with dividers bought in the store,
- plastic cutter or jigsaw,
- nuts and screws
- Mark the bottom of the bucket using a tape measure, a pencil and compass space for the semicircular holes with a radius of 5 cm, and then cut them. The number of holes can be arbitrary, but when using a tray with dividers, the number of holes must match the number of sections on the tray.
- The edges of the cuts should be treated with fine-grained sandpaper in order to avoid injury during further work, and also to prevent the ducks from being injured during feeding.
- Drill a few holes in the bottom of the plastic bucket, as well as bowls, so that they coincide with each other.
- Screw the plastic container to the bowl with screws and nuts.
- Fill the food in the tank and close the lid tightly.
Tray structures are also simple to manufacture and are designed for both dry fodder and mash. Due to their shape, they are easy to use, clean from dirt and debris, as well as disinfection. To create a tray design, you first need to create a sketch of the future product. The tray must have high sides: this is necessary so that the ducks do not climb inside the tank and do not tread on food.
You will need the following tools and materials:
- wooden boards up to 2 cm thick
- wooden lath 1 m long,
- screws or screws
- emery cloth.
Then we make a trough feeder according to the following instructions, observing the parameters indicated in the photo:
- Measure out the desired length of the board and cut the sides.
- Cut the bottom of the feeder.
- Saw 6-angle corners.
- To process all blanks with sandpaper.
- Attach the rim to the bottom of the tray with self-tapping screws.
- Insert the sides of the tray at both ends and fasten with screws to the bottom and sides.
- Attach a wooden rail on both tops of the sides. It is necessary for the convenience of transporting the tray, as well as that the birds do not penetrate inside.
Features of making trough their own hands: tips from farmers
When hand-made manufacturing of duck feeding containers, the advice of experienced farmers who already have this experience will not interfere. Here are some simple recommendations:
- Yuri. At the very beginning of my farming, I used inexpensive industrial plastic containers for feeding ducks. Но оказалось, что этот материал недолговечен из-за воздействия температурных перепадов. Поэтому я бы посоветовал использовать изделия хорошо зарекомендовавших себя производителей или изготавливать их самому.Moreover, it is not too difficult and costly to make troughs with your own hands: a sewer pipe is taken, several wide openings are cut into it, plugs are installed at both ends of the pipe, and the feeder pipe is attached to the supports.
- Nikolai. The ability to make troughs with their own hands will fit very well in the household. I prefer bunker car feeders made of metal with a simple design: folded metal sheet in the form of a ship made of paper. The main thing is to calculate everything correctly, otherwise even small inconsistencies in the calculations will make the product untight.
- Anatoly. I draw your attention to an important nuance in the manufacture of drinkers or feeders - to securely fasten the structure to the support. In my neighborhood, there was an incident: a huge drinking bowl in the form of a pipe was poorly fixed and under the weight of the water fell upon the birds, which had to be slaughtered immediately afterwards. It is important to remember that ducks are active birds, and when there are many of them in the household, they can collectively turn over any containers. Therefore, I advise you to attach the feeders and drinkers to the supports firmly.
VIDEO: AUTOMATIC BREAST FOR BOWL WITH OWN HANDS In conclusion, we can conclude that making the duck feeders with your own hands is not an easy task, especially since it does not require large material costs. This option is very suitable for poultry farmers and farmers of small farms, because these products can be adapted specifically for their conditions and the number of poultry.
Types of feeders
When it is already determined what material you will be making the feeder for and where you put it, it's time to choose what it will look like - there are several options.
First of all, the choice is influenced by the diet, which feeds on the bird. To give cereals or finely chopped fodder, a closed look, for example, a bunker one, is suitable. The food in them does not end any longer.
Ducks love to overeat and do not move away from the tray until it is all over. Therefore, it is recommended to allocate a daily rate for food. An adult domestic duck absorbs up to 400 grams of cereals and vegetables a day; ducklings need less.
Suitable for liquid feed. In addition, it is very convenient to wash. If the poultry yard is large, then you can feed a few dozen ducks or adults at a time.
Tray feeder due to its shape, easy to use, cleaning of dirt and debris, as well as disinfection
To make a trough feeder with your own hands, you need to prepare:
- board deuce,
- roulette wheel
- a hacksaw or other saw,
- drill and screws or a hammer and nails.
The optimal width of the feeder for ducks is 15 cm. It is necessary that, coming up on both sides, the ducks do not take away food from each other.
The height of the side is about 8 cm. If the breed is large, it can be increased. For chicks you need smaller sides so that they reach the food, but they could not get inside.
To keep the ducks from treading over grain or liquid feed, you can beat a 3-centimeter rail in the middle, at full length.
The bunker feeder for ducks is usually constructed from metal or chipboard sheets.
The bottom of the bunker design resembles a tray one. Mount the container for bulk feed is better to the wall, so you can approach it only on one side. Hang more conveniently on metal hinges for hanging cabinets.
What you need to make a feeder:
- Sheet or plate.
- Reiki or bars.
- Saw or jigsaw.
- Drill and screws.
- A pen.
- Two loops.
For the manufacture of take 4 sheets: 2 - for the side walls (the same size), 2 - for the front and rear walls (the size is also one). All sheets are fastened so that they form a 4-square form. At the same time, the front should be as if diagonally, to go deep into the structure - this will ensure a gradual feed intake. It will be possible to fill the bunker in full and it will slowly roll down to the tray.
The simplest feeder for ducklings
A simple automatic duck feeder will be a salvation when you need to create additional feeding space for ducklings. To build a feeder, you must perform the following steps:
- take a 5-liter bottle and cut off the bottom
- in the appropriate places to make holes for mounting
- insert wires of the required length into the holes and bend the ends
- attach the structure to the basin above so that the neck looks down
Thus, the feed from the bottle will gradually flow into the basin from which the ducklings will eat.
Plastic bottle drinkers
The simplest option is to build a drinker from ordinary plastic bottles. They may have different sizes. There are several possible variations:
- Auto-drinker from 5-liter bottles. This option is best suited for healthy individuals. To do this, take a basin and install a bottle in it. In the lower quarter a small hole is made, with a diameter of not more than 1.5 cm. The bottle is filled with water. Gradually, it will fill the basin. When the ducks drink, the volume of water will be gradually updated.
- Drinking bowl of 2-liter cans. Pour water into the jar and close it with a saucer. After that, dramatically turn the design and install it in the aviary. Under the neck of the banks to put something to the water gradually seep into the saucer.
Also for the construction of avtopoilok use other materials and containers.
Nippelnaya drinking bowl for ducklings
Often these containers are used for small ducklings. Often they are also called teat drinkers.Nippelny drinking bowl for a bird
For the manufacture will need the following materials and tools:
- plastic profile tube 22x22 mm
- nipples of a certain type
- pipe plug
- tub water container
- an adapter connecting the pipe and the water tank
- electric drill
- tapered tap
Production of the drinker is performed in the following sequence:
- Make holes in the pipe with a diameter of 9 mm. The distance between them should be no more than 40 cm.
- The number of holes is calculated depending on the size of the population.
- Tap to make the thread and fasten the nipples in them.
- On one side, close the pipe with the cap, and on the other side, attach the hose.
- Attach the other end of the hose to the container.
- It remains only to put cups under the nipples, where excess water will drip.
Chute Drinker for Adult Ducks
Such designs are best made from materials that are resistant to moisture. This will ensure their long life. The best option here would be a pipe with a large diameter of plastic. It has many virtues:
- affordable price
- ease of installation
- long service life
- able to serve a large number of individuals
- ease of maintenance and cleaning
- high functionality
Production of the drinker is carried out in the following sequence:
- Cut holes in the pipe for ducks. This takes into account their age. So, for ducklings small holes are made. As for adult individuals, then holes are needed much more.
- Install the pipe on the prepared stand. It should be normally fixed. Otherwise there is a risk of turning over. As a result, the bird may be injured.
- On the one hand, a plug is installed, and on the other, an angle through which water will be supplied.
The only drawback of the design is that it has quite a lot of weight. This will somewhat complicate its cleaning.
Unusual drinking bowl
For creative people a good option would be to create a drinker from a large piece of burdock. It is also possible to use other plants.Drinking bowl or bird feeder
Run it is quite simple:
- immerse the sheet in the cement mortar, which will keep its shape
- wait several days for the solution to dry completely
- paint the product
Of course, such a drinker is most likely used for decorating a cage for ducks. If desired, the products can be installed in different places. In the summertime, water bottles will look very aesthetically pleasing and original.
Duck feeders do it yourself: advice from experienced farmers
The construction of feeders is an easy process. But, to achieve the desired result, you need to follow some tips from professionals:
- Select a project. The design must fully meet the needs of the birds, and then the preferences of the owner. Ducks should have free access to it. At the same time it is necessary to take into account many factors.
- The number of individuals. When choosing a water bowl it is worth considering the number of ducks. This is especially true of making the design with your own hands.
- Material. It is worth noting that plastic products have low strength and short life. Therefore, it is better to give preference to wood or metal structures.
- Type of feed. Choosing the material of the feeder, you should pay attention to the type of feed. For wet mixes need packaging, which is well opposed to moisture. Versatile option are products made of galvanized sheet metal.
Compliance with such recommendations will allow you to build a solid and durable drinker. It should be noted that if you wish, you can purchase ready-made designs.
Drinking bowl for ducks do it yourself - on video: