Tkemali (in Georgian - ტყემალი) - this is how various types of wild, sour plum are called, and also this is the name of the sauce made from these fruits or from cherry plum. There are two main types of such tkemali sauces: green and red. Red sauce is made from ripe plums at the end of summer.
However, red is a relative name, since the fruits may have yellow, orange, red color, and this means that the ready tkemali sauce will be different in shade, also the color tkemali is made from blackthorn, then it turns out dark. burgundy color.
Green tkemali is prepared in the late spring at the beginning of summer from the unripe fruits of tkemali plums or cherry plums and is used as soon as necessary. And from ripe fruits in autumn or late summer, sauce is brewed for future use, which is then bottled and stored for the whole winter.
Tkemali is a very tasty, fragrant sauce, often used on the Georgian table, has a sour, moderately spicy taste. For example, we do not eat ketchup or mayonnaise (very rarely, only for some salads), but with fried meat, poultry, fish, tkemali is always served, especially since it is appropriate with fried potatoes, pasta, and just with bread.
Ingredients for tkemali sauce (should get about 3.2 liters):
- 3 kg sour plums tkemali,
- 1 large head of garlic,
- 150 g of fresh green coriander (cilantro) and several branches with seeds,
- 250 g of fresh dill, and a few branches with seeds,
- 60 g of ombalo (flea mint),
- 60 grams garden savory (not thyme), Georgian name - Kondari (optional, not always added, and not all),
- 4 pieces of green or red fresh pepper (or ground red pepper),
- 50-80 grams of sugar (to taste, depending on the acid of the plums),
- salt, as always, to taste.
Ombalo, flea mint - an ingredient for tkemali sauce
Tips for cooking traditional Georgian plum sauce
- Yellow, red, blue plums should be moderately ripe, not firm, but not too soft.
- Different types of cherry plum are good for cooking tkemali, because this fruit is easily separated from the stone and quickly cooked on the stove.
- Include spices when cooking Georgian sauce - cilantro, chilli pepper, coriander, hop-suneli, they help to create the desired taste.
- If, according to the prescription, it is necessary to peel plums, then a great way is to scald the fruits with boiling water and soak them in a hot liquid for 5 minutes. After that, the fruit is well cleaned from a thin crust, which greatly simplifies the work on the preparation of the sauce.
- It is not worth a lot of time to cook ketchup, this can degrade the taste, and useful substances will decrease.
- The mild tkemali sauce is allowed to be eaten even for children, since it contains natural products. The main thing is to serve the dish with the usual baby food.
Step by step recipes classic tkemali from plums with photos
There are many recipes for tkemali sauce, each true Georgian adds something of his own, something special. But there are also proven classic recipes, using which you will never be mistaken with the future taste of the dish. For novice cooks, it is recommended to use simple cooking methods, and after that it is possible to take unusual options. Consider the recipes of the most delicious Georgian tkemali sauces.
The classic recipe for yellow cherry plum sauce-tkemali
Yellow plum has ripened in the middle of summer, and some varieties are early and ready for use in early July. By this time, the bulk of the spices are not yet ripe, so you need to get dry, harvested earlier seasonings. The yellow cherry plum tkemali sauce has an unusual sunny color, therefore it attracts attention not only with its unusual taste. Outwardly, such a dish may look like mustard, but after tasting it, it will be immediately clear that this is a completely different food. Consider the classic recipe for this sauce.
- Ripe yellow plums or cherry plums - 1 kg,
- Sugar - 50 g,
- Garlic - 2-3 heads,
- Salt - according to taste preferences,
- Hot peppers - 1 pod, up to 7 cm,
- Cilantro fresh or dry - 50 g,
- Fresh dill - 60 g,
- Ground coriander seeds - 1 tsp.
How to make a classic tkemali sauce from yellow plums step by step:
- Wash fruit under running water, dry on paper towels.
- Using a meat grinder, grind the plum or cherry plum, before getting rid of the bones.
- Add salt, sugar, put in the pan, cook on the stove for 7-9 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooked, peeled, washed, minced in a blender or meat grinder garlic, pepper, herbs, spices.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the plum boiling sauce, mix thoroughly and boil it all together for 1-2 minutes.
- After that, you should try the ready-made sauce on the edge of the spoon and, according to your own preferences, correct its taste.
- To prepare for the winter, heat up the dish in cans or glass bottles, tightly close with tin lids.
- The remaining tkemali allowed to eat immediately after it cools to room temperature.
A simple recipe for cooking sauce in a slow cooker
Multicookers have long replaced pressure cookers, steam pots and microwaves, since in this dish it is easy and time-consuming to cook the most exquisite dish. The popular tkemali sauce will be perfect with this kitchen fixture, but the recipe should be special. Let us consider how to cook such a dish in a slow cooker so that it turns out to be truly Georgian.
- Plums of any kind, slightly greenish, with sourness - 1 kg.
- Dill, parsley, fresh - 1 bunch.
- Salt, sugar - according to taste preferences.
- Vinegar 70% - 1 tsp. on 1 l of sauce.
- Fresh garlic, peeled - 6-7 cloves.
- Red pepper pod - 1 pc. or ground - a quarter tsp.
- Seasoning Georgian "hops-suneli" - 2-3 tbsp. l
In order to properly prepare the original tkemali sauce in a slow cooker, you need to follow these steps:
- We wash our fruits, garlic and greens well under water, put them in a colander or sieve to get rid of excess water.
- Cut each plum, remove the bones.
- In the bowl multicooker fold the chopped fruit, herbs, garlic. All this is ground with a blender. We work with this device carefully so as not to damage the surface of the bowl. Otherwise, this step is best performed using a different capacity.
- Add all the spices, salt, sugar and mix. We try on the edge of the spoon a little tkemali sauce, and, if necessary, adjust the taste.
- We put the bowl in the slow cooker, set the mode "Quenching" for 1 hour and 20-30 minutes.
- After that, still hot sauce tkemali spreads on the banks and roll up iron lids. Keep in the cold for up to 2-3 years. Enjoy your meal!
How to cook tkemali. Georgian step by step recipe
- 10 kg red ripe plums
- 50 g of cerets (fennel),
- 20 grams of fresh mint marsh (ombalo),
- 200 g of green coriander during flowering (cilantro with flowers),
- 1 kg of garlic,
- 200 grams of salt
- 100 grams of dried coriander (helps to keep tkemali for long-term storage)
- 100 g fresh green coriander
- 50 g ground red pepper.
Note: if the plums are very sour, you can add about 100 grams of sugar.
Wash plums and fold them into a deep pan. Add 3 liters of water. Put on the fire and bring to a boil on high heat. Then reduce the fire and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the plums are soft.
Put the finished plums in a colander, in a large bowl with holes. Pure juice without plums set aside, do not pour.
To put a colander on a pan, to wipe plums - at first to press down a wooden spoon, then to wipe properly hands, having put on gloves.
Connect mashed pulp with plum juice.
Peel the garlic and mince. Mint (ombalo) disassemble, for tkemali use leaves and flowers. But we do not throw away the stems, we still need them.
Chop flowers and mint leaves, put in a bowl. Add 100 g of dry cilantro (if desired, for long term storage of tkemali), 100 g of fresh green cilantro, garlic and 200 g of salt. Mix it up.
Ombalo, cerets and cilantro stalks should be joined together and tied with threads.
Tied a bunch of grass stalks put in a pot with tkemali. Add all the spices and 50 g of ground red pepper. Put on a very slow fire and cook for about 40 minutes. At the same time, a tied bunch of herbs will emerge and it should be pressed down to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
If you are going to use ready-made spiced tkemali sauce for a short period of time, often to be eaten, then it should be cooled and then stored in the refrigerator (without hermetic clogging).
For long-term storage, tkemali is bottled in clean and dry bottles. Bottles should be pre-washed and sterilized in a bucket or pan with boiling water for about 15 minutes. The lids are also dipped in boiling water.
Tkemali is bottled, the sauce should be boiling, poured to the very edge of the neck, and immediately clogged with clean lids.
This method will allow you to store tkemali for a long time (1-2 years) in a cool dry dark room.
Georgian tkemali sauce is served with meat, poultry and potato dishes. Enjoy your meal!
Plum Tkemali for the winter - a recipe of Georgian cuisine
Tkemali from plum is a very simple and extremely tasty sauce that can be prepared for winter at home. Any kind of sour plum or even cherry plum is suitable for tkemali sauce. We also need a number of spices, herbs and spices, which can be found in many supermarkets.
- Georgian cuisine
- Total cooking time: 60 minutes
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 10 servings
- 500 g
Ingredients for tkemali:
- Plum or cherry plum - 1 kg
- Garlic - 1 head
- Red hot pepper - 1 pod
- Cilantro - 150 g
- Mint - 100 g
- Fresh dill - 100 g
- Parsley - 100 g
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Hops-suneli - 1 tsp
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 4 tsp
- Carefully wash the plum or cherry plum, pour cold water and bring to a boil. After boiling, boil for about 15 - 20 minutes on low heat.
- Pour the broth into a separate dish. It can still be useful for diluting the sauce. Plum or cherry plum grind through a sieve.
- My greens, remove tails. Peel the garlic and pepper. Grind everything with a blender.
- Put the plum puree into a saucepan or saucepan, bring to a boil and stew for about 10 minutes. Add sugar, salt and spices and simmer for about 5 minutes. If the puree has become too thick, you can dilute it with a little plum broth.
- Add chopped greens, garlic and pepper to the sauce. Simmer another 5 - 7 minutes, taste it. If the sauce is too sour, you can increase the amount of sugar.
- Ready sauce is poured into sterilized jars and rolled. After cooling, remove in a cold place.
Tkemali ready-made sauce is perfectly stored in the basement or refrigerator for a long time. Optionally, banks can not roll up, and eat tkemali immediately after preparation.
Ready tkemali should be quite sour. It is best to serve it with kebabs or fatty meat dishes.
Red Georgian Tkemali Sauce
Tkemali is the Georgian name for wild, sour plum, as well as a sauce made from such plums. Tkemali sauce is used as a seasoning for grilled meat, poultry dishes and potatoes.
The Tkemali green sauce is made from unripe fruits in spring, and the red sauce is made from ripe plums until the end of summer. In this recipe, we will look at how to make classic red tkemali sauce in Georgian.
- 2 kg red (ripe) plums
- 10 grams of anise
- 30 grams of fresh mint
- 40 grams of green flowering coriander (with inflorescences)
- 150 grams of garlic
- 40 grams of salt
- 20 grams of dried coriander (will help preserve the sauce if you are going to store it for a long time) or 20 grams of fresh green coriander leaves
- 10 grams of ground red pepper
- If the plums are especially sour, you can add up to 40 grams of sugar.
Preparation and preparation of tkemali sauce:
- Wash plums and put them in a deep pan. Add 500 ml of water.
- Heat at high temperature until the plums boil. Then reduce the heat and leave to stew for 10-15 minutes, until the plums are soft.
- We take out the plums from the pan and shift them in a bowl. Drain water is not poured, and leave in the pan.
- Grind the plums through a sieve to make a plum puree.
- Dilute the puree with a small amount of water remaining after cooking the plums and set on a small fire.
- Chop garlic, mint and coriander inflorescences. Fall asleep in plum puree. The stems left from mint and coriander do not need to be cut. We tied them with thread and put them in a saucepan with boiling sauce. When the tkemali is ready, this bundle will need to be taken out of the sauce and discarded.
- Add anise, salt, hot pepper. Stir well.
- Simmer the sauce for about 40 minutes, periodically add plum water, when the tkemali will thicken too.
- We taste the sauce. If it seems too sour, add a little sugar.
- The finished sauce is poured into a glass container, and when it cools down, put it in the refrigerator.
Classic Tkemali cherry plum - a simple recipe
Tkemali is a classic plum sauce, the recipe of which is an essential attribute of Georgian cuisine. Tkemali sauce is ideal for vegetables, fried meat, fish, seafood and salad dressings. It is spicy, sweet and sour, fragrant and very appetizing!
To prepare the tkemali sauce according to the classic recipe, you will need cherry plum or bold red plums, greens and, of course, spices and spices. Preparing tkemali is very simple. At the same time, this sauce can be immediately rolled up in cans and stored until winter.
Tkemali from red cherry plum - a classic recipe
Tkemali is the famous Georgian sour plum sauce, which can be made from both green and red plum. Red sauce is made from ripe cherry plums or plums at the end of summer, and green Tkemali is made from unripe fruits in spring.
Let us try to cook tkemali from red cherry plum according to the classic recipe. To do this, we need simple and readily available ingredients, which can be found in the nearest supermarket.
Before you begin to consider recipes tkemali, it is worth citing a few secrets of its preparation. Observing them, you can create an excellent sauce for meat dishes. By the way, any housewife can cook tkemali at home. After all, it does not require special skills and specific techniques. It is enough to follow the recipe and adhere to some rules. So, the secrets of cooking tkemali:
- No oil or vinegar is added to this sauce. The billet is stored for a long time due to heat treatment, as well as spices, which are part of it and are distinguished by their particular sharpness. Even at room temperature the product will not deteriorate. The most important thing is properly prepared banks. They must be thoroughly cleaned, sterilized and sealed.
- It is best to cook tkemali from plums, preferably acidic varieties. Some professionals recommend using slightly under-ripe fruit for this.
- To prevent the plums from burning during the heat treatment, it is necessary to stir them regularly. For this, it is recommended to use a wooden spatula. As for metal devices, they should not be used. Although the exception is stainless steel products.
- For cooking the sauce is to use only enameled containers or stainless steel. Aluminum pots can spoil the product. Moreover, this metal, when in contact with acids, emits substances harmful to human health.
- Studying the recipe tkemali, pay special attention to seasonings. They allow you to give the sauce a unique taste and aroma. In order to make the tkemali original, it is supplemented with swamp mint, which is often replaced with peppermint. Only a true connoisseur of Georgian cuisine can notice the difference.
- Plums for making such a sauce should be chopped. To do this, according to the classic recipe tkemali, boil them, fray through a regular sieve. Due to this, the sauce gets a more subtle and delicate structure. If this is not important, then you can grind the components using a blender or skip everything through a meat grinder. This will greatly simplify and, of course, speed up the process.
- When calculating the number of components, it is necessary to take into account that in order to obtain a thick product it is boiled down almost 4 times.
Following the recommendations, you can cook a delicious and savory sauce. When you are familiar with the rules and secrets of cooking, you can go to the recipes tkemali.
Consider the classic recipe for cooking tkemali. This will require:
- 3 kg peeled plum sour varieties,
- 2 heads of garlic,
- 200 g cilantro (fresh)
- ½ cup of sugar
- 4 tbsp. l common salt
- 20 g of spices (hops-suneli),
- 10 g of swamp or peppermint,
- a few hot peppers.
So, how to cook tkemali? To get started is to prepare the main component - plums. Clean them from the bones, pour in the sugars (about 3 tbsp. L.) And place in a cool place for a while. Plums should stand and sap. Поместите их на плиту и включите нагрев. Если сока мало, добавьте немного воды (желательно кипяченой). Доведите содержимое до кипения и проварите некоторое время (5-10 минут). В завершение сливы стоит перетереть через обычное сито.
Сливовое пюре поместите на плиту и включите подогрев. Boil the mass until its volume decreases 3-4 times. When this happens, add chopped garlic, ground pepper, hot sugar, chopped greens, salt and hops-suneli to the sauce. Boil the mass for another 10-15 minutes.
Put the prepared tkemali sauce in prepared jars (washed and sterilized). Cap the containers with pre-boiled lids. When the jars are cool, transfer the piece to a cooler place, such as a pantry.
Many cook tkemali from cherry plum, but it is best to use plums to make the sauce. Consider a simplified recipe:
- 1.5 kg sour plum varieties,
- 20 g of common salt,
- 50 grams of sugar
- 20 g of spices (hops-suneli),
- about 2 heads of garlic
- no more than two pods of hot pepper.
To begin, clean the plum pits, and then chop them with a blender. In the resulting mass, add sugar and, of course, salt. Place a container of plums on the fire. Boil the mass until its initial volume decreases 2-3 times.
Peel the garlic and chop it together with the hot pepper, cleaned of seeds, using a blender. Add the mixture, as well as dry spices in a container with plums. Boil the tkemali sauce for another 6-7 minutes. Remove the finished product from heat, pour into sterilized jars and seal tightly.
Is there any difference?
Does the simplified sauce differ from the classic? It can be stored even at room temperature. The main thing that the containers were tightly closed. As for taste, there are differences. Tkemali, prepared according to a simplified recipe, is less salty and more spicy.
Yellow Plum Sauce
To prepare tkemali for this recipe you will need:
- 1 kg of peeled yellow plums
- from 20 to 40 g of sugar,
- 30 grams of salt
- garlic head,
- 1 hot pepper,
- 50 g cilantro (fresh)
- 50 g fresh dill,
- 10 g ground coriander.
The amount of sugar depends on how sweet the plum is. If necessary, the amount of this component can be increased.
So, let's begin…
Tkemali for the winter according to this recipe is prepared quickly and easily. To begin, clean the plums from the stones, and then chop them. To do this, you can use a meat grinder or blender. The latter option is preferable, as it is recommended to avoid contact of products with the metal.
Garlic peel and then crush. Hot pepper also prepare. It must be cleaned from the seeds and cut. Chop the greens. Add sugar and salt to the pureed yellow plums. Boil the mass until it decreases 2 times in volume. Cool and add coriander, garlic, pepper and greens. Bring sauce to a boil and cook for a few minutes.
Finished tkemali pour into sterilized jars and tightly close. You can store the workpiece in any conditions: in the pantry, cellar, refrigerator. The sauce is not capricious and perfectly tolerates room temperature.
Harvesting of tomatoes and plums
To prepare red tkemali, it is necessary to prepare the following products:
- about 1 kg of plums,
- 1.5 kg of red tomatoes,
- 750 g of sweet pepper,
- 500 g onions,
- 500 g apples, preferably acidic varieties,
- 1 hot pepper,
- salt, fresh herbs, sugar.
To begin, pour tomatoes with boiling water. This will remove the skin from them. Tomato pulp grind the blender. Place the plums in a saucepan, cover with water, cook for no more than 5 minutes, then remove them from the heat and rub through a regular sieve.
Peel and chop the apples with a grater. Do the same for the bow. To grind it can use a blender. Prepare other ingredients in the same way: hot and sweet peppers.
In a container, mix all the ingredients and place it on the fire. Boil the sauce until desired consistency is obtained. Put the ready tkemali from plums and tomatoes into sterilized containers and close them tightly. Of course, the taste of such a blank is significantly different from the one prepared according to the classic recipe.
Is it possible not to cook?
There is a recipe tkemali from plums, where the components do not undergo heat treatment. Consider it in more detail. To prepare the sauce will need:
- about 1.2 kg of already stoned plums,
- from 2 to 4 pods of bitter pepper,
- garlic head,
- no more than 50 g basil,
- 50 g cilantro,
- about 25 grams of peppermint,
- 20 g of ordinary salt without additives
- 20 g white sugar.
To make this sauce, grind the plums, peeled garlic, and seedless pepper with a blender. Chop greens in the same way. Combine all the ingredients and mix. In the resulting mass, add salt, sugar. Use a blender or mixer to mix everything well.
Sterilize jars and lids. Spread the prepared sauce in a container and close tightly. It is necessary to store such preparation in a cool room. At room temperature, the sauce will spoil and will not be worthy until the end of winter.
It should be noted that this cooking method allows you to save the maximum amount of all the nutrients in the finished tkemali.
Recipe with pomegranate juice
To make an extraordinary sauce, prepare:
- 2 kg of plums,
- from 60 to 80 g of sugar,
- salt to taste
- hops suneli
- 1 head garlic,
- 100 ml of natural pomegranate juice.
Crush the plums, after removing the stones from them. In the resulting puree, add salt, dry spices and sugar. Place the mixture on the fire, bring to a boil and cook until the sauce is thicker.
Peel the garlic, pass it through the press and add it to the tkemal. Pour in pomegranate juice, mix everything and boil for 5 minutes. Pour the prepared sauce into sterilized glass containers and close tightly. You can store the workpiece at room temperature. This sauce is perfect for meat dishes. Yes, and it is prepared quickly and easily. Now you know how to cook tkemali.
Useful properties of Tkemali
Tkemali consists of fruits and herbs, does not contain oil, therefore brings undoubted benefits to the human body. The active ingredients contained in spices help to improve digestion and appetite.
A number of vitamins are preserved in the sauce - E, B1, B2, P and PP, ascorbic acid. Thus, by flavoring food with a spicy sauce, it is possible to improve the condition of the heart muscle, the supply of oxygen to the cells of the body, the brain, skin and hair.
Plums - a pectin storeroom, which cleans the intestines and activates its work. Therefore, any heavy food is digested easily and without problems.
Tkemali from plums for the winter - photo recipe
In the process of preparing blanks for the winter, the hostess pays a lot of attention to various sauces. These are ketchups with unusual ingredients that are familiar to everyone, and when they are just boiled tomato juice with spices. Did you try the plum sauce?
This is an amazing sauce that is perfect for all meat products from kebabs to fried chicken ham. Yes, and with meatballs, it will be incredibly tasty. Want to try? Then prepare the sauce tkemali for the winter at home.
Rinse the sink in a large basin, changing the water several times. Remove bones from it. All damaged plums need to be removed.
Peel garlic, rinse. Skip both the plum and garlic through a meat grinder with a fine sieve. Add to the mixture of sugar, salt, spice.
Put on a small fire. The first few minutes you need to continuously interfere, that the sauce is not burnt. After that, he will put in a lot of juice and this will have to be done less often.
Cooking time tkemali takes about an hour. During this time, you need to prepare the jars: wash thoroughly with detergent and soda, put on a roast in the preheated oven (200 degrees).
Five minutes before the end of the cooking process, pour vinegar into the sauce. Mix. Spread tkemali from plums on prepared banks, roll up.
Output - 1.5 liters of tkemali sauce.
P.S. To make the sauce become identical to the legendary tkemali, before serving, you need to sprinkle it abundantly with chopped greens and mix.
For this, parsley and dill are suitable, half a bunch of each per half-liter jar. It can be made more saturated if you add vegetable oil. This can be done both during the cooking process and before serving. Not more than 30 ml per indicated capacity.
Classic Georgian tkemali from plums - a step-by-step recipe at home
A real, specifically Georgian sauce should include precisely the tkemali plum, which gives it a characteristic taste. It is also necessary to find an ombalo. This subspecies of mint does not grow in central Russia, although it can sometimes be found on dried markets or ordered online at specialized sites.
Ingredients for classic tkemali
800 grams of sauce is obtained at the exit from such a quantity of products.
- 1 kilogram of plum tkemali,
- 10 grams of salt
- 25 grams of sugar
- 5 medium or 3 large garlic cloves,
- chili pepper (1 pod, you can slightly increase or decrease its quantity),
- a bunch of fresh dill (about 30 grams),
- Ombalo or dried grass tuft (30-40 grams),
- 30 gram bundle of cilantro,
- 5-6 grams of dried coriander,
- 6 grams of dried fenugreek (aka ukho, or suneli).
- Wash plums and put them in the pan. It is important to separate the pulp from the bone, pour boiling water and remove the skin is not necessary. Fill with clean water - about 100 ml - and boil until bone and skin begin to separate from the pulp. The fire should be small
- Ready to drain tkemali shift in a colander with small holes and begin to wipe thoroughly. The result should be a plum puree, leaving the same skin and bones.
- We shift the billet to a saucepan and bring to a boil over low heat. Remove from heat, add dry spices - coriander, suneli, as well as salt and sugar.
- Greens, pre-washed and thoroughly dried, chop as small as possible and add to the future sauce.
- Chilli, washed and free of seeds, chop finely and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Garlic must be passed through a special press, add to tkemali.
- Well sterilized small jars filled with prepared tkemali sauce, close the lids. The dish is ready!