It is known that sage was widely used in medicine because of its medicinal qualities in the times of Hippocrates. However, as a culture it began to grow in 1909 in Europe.
In the wild, this grass grows in the south of Europe, in Western and Central Asia and in the Caucasus. In our country, it has been grown since the late twenties of the last century.
Growing sage for the national economy is carried out in order to obtain the essential oil. It contains large quantities of linalyl acetate, linalool and other useful substances. Oil and products of processing of sage are widely used in the cosmetic industry, food and pharmaceutical industries.
Description of Clary Sage
This plant has a very powerful root system, reaching up to 1.50 meters deep. The straight stem of a tetrahedral shape sometimes grows up to one meter in height. From the stem branches diverge at the ends of which grow long and spreading panicles. The leaves of sage are strongly wrinkled in the form of a large oval. Closer to the top the leaves turn into pink small bracts. Leaves and stem covered with fluffy hairs. Sage nutmeg photos can be viewed on the sites of medical and horticultural themes.
During flowering sage is covered with pink or white flowers. It occurs from June to August. After flowering fruits appear like nuts. The plant has a powerful and fragrant aroma. From July to September, leaves are collected for further drying for storage. Plant reproduction occurs as a result of self-seeding.
Methods of growing on the site
To grow this plant in three ways.
- Planting seeds in the ground. Sage can be planted in all types of soil, but it is desirable to fertilize it before planting seeds. Seeds should first germinate to improve germination. Sowing is carried out in the spring, with the onset of warm days. At a distance of 0.5 meters between each other, we make grooves 3-4 cm deep. We spread seeds at a distance of 10-15 cm between each other at the bottom of the grooves. Then, we fall asleep with soft earth and water well.
- Growing seedlings. Start growing seedlings need in early spring. Before planting on seedlings at home, the seeds of clary sage should be treated with Energen growth stimulant solution. To do this, the seeds in a gauze bag for a day are placed in this solution. Then, having dried them a little, we plant one by one in a peat pot. Planting in the ground is done directly in the pots, so as not to damage the root system.
- Reproduction by dividing the bush. This method is used at the end of the summer. To do this, dig up a sage bush and divide the root system with a knife or shovel. Before planting, the roots are treated with a fungicide. Then new plants are planted in a permanent place on the site. Young plants before the start of winter should definitely be covered.
Briefly consider the methods of care for this plant.
The process of leaving does not take much time.
- Weeding and watering. Sage shrubs should be thoroughly weeded, as it does not like sow thistle, bitter grass, couch grass and other types of weed. Weeding must be combined with watering bushes. It should be borne in mind that this plant does not require abundant watering, it tolerates drought perfectly.
- Top dressing. The plant is fed three times per season with the Effekton-O or Agricola-Vegeta solution.
- Thinning. If the bushes grow too close to each other, then they should be arranged on the basis of the condition of 25 plants per 1 square meter. m. If this is not done, the plant very quickly loses the essential oil. A shrub too rare is also unacceptable because lodging of lateral shoots occurs.
- Protection against diseases and pests. The most dangerous disease of this plant is scleritinosis. To avoid the occurrence of this disease, it should not be planted too thick. It also often affects powdery mildew. Serum treatment helps to successfully fight this disease. Among the pests come across spider mites, backwires, etc. In this case, the plant is treated with karbofos.
Medicinal properties of the plant
Even in ancient times, the healing properties of this plant were widely used in the treatment of various inflammatory diseases. It was successfully applied to the treatment of diseases of the female genital organs. Adding it to wine allowed the priests to fall into nirvanaduring religious ceremonies. It was proved that its aroma had a calming effect on the human body. In the XVI century recipes of tincture of sage seeds, which relieve inflammation of the eyes, are described.
Modern scientists have shown that in its structure this plant is similar to the female sex hormones. This explains the use of sage by women to increase their chances of getting pregnant. Essential oil is very good for healing wounds. It is sometimes compared in its effectiveness with the Vishnevsky ointment. Oil also helps in the treatment of oral diseases such as stomatitis and gingivitis. Essential oil of high concentration is used in diseases of the musculoskeletal and peripheral nervous system.
The curative properties of clary sage include a positive effect on the human circulatory system. Composed herbal fees this plant helps with diseases such as hemorrhoids, varicose veins, etc. Essential oil is widely used for skin diseases, and also helps to eliminate acne, dandruff and prevents hair loss on the head.
Use in traditional medicine
In folk medicine, this plant is used in the form of various tinctures and tea leaves. So, tea brewed on flowers and sage seeds, has the ability to stop excessive sweating and its effectiveness can last up to 1 day. Tea also helps against bronchial diseases and inflammation of the kidneys.
It helps this plant in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and liver, even if you just chew dried leaves. If smoke sage leavesthen it will help from asthma. Tea is prepared very simply by conventional technology. Two teaspoons of dried flowers and seeds is poured with a glass of boiling water and infused, as usual tea.
This medicinal plant has contraindications for its use. It is forbidden to use it in any form during pregnancy and during breastfeeding. If you have problems with the thyroid gland, then it is better to refuse the use of clary sage. Prohibited admission with diagnosed myomas, polycystic ovaries and endometriosis. It should also be remembered that this plant is a strong allergen and it is necessary to consult a doctor before using it.