Any farmer or person engaged in breeding domestic animals often faces the need to make their own devices for keeping their pets, in particular, feeding troughs, drinking troughs, and so on.
Today we will talk about how to make a drinking bowl for ducks with different types of hands for both adult ducks and very little ducks.
What is the peculiarity of drinking bowls for small ducks?
It is known that ducks are birds that consume a very large amount of water, so you need to carefully monitor its presence in the drinking trough for these birds. Doing drinkers for ducks most often do based on wood or metal.
When you collect a bird drinker with your own hands, it does not matter if small or adult ducks take food from it, always consider the average number of individuals for which it will be calculated. In the manufacture of drinking bowls for ducklings, the average length of one design is about 20 centimeters with a small flock of ducks. The best option is a wooden trough with walls about 2-3 centimeters thick.
Ducks love to swim and climb into the water, so the design of the drinker should be provided so that birds do not climb into it. With the construction of drinking bowls for little ducklings with their own hands remember the following:
- It is very important for small ducks to give their heads completely immersed in water, therefore the capacity of the drinker must be deep enough for this. They submerge their heads in the summer to cope with the heat. So, the drinking bowl should be both deep and narrow at the same time.
- so that it would be convenient to clean the drinker, it should be compact enough,
- the design should be thought out entirely in advance. Ducklings should have access to water constantly throughout the day, and it should always be in the quantity necessary for them.
The most elementary bird drinkers
The role of drinking bowls for ducks can play most different things at hand:
- galvanized or enamelled buckets,
- plastic bowls and more.
However, these and other devices have many disadvantages:
- water will be constantly clogged by duck droppings and litter,
- it will have to be changed too often
- ducklings can sit on the same bowl and overturn it.
therefore similar devices can be used as drinkers only for the smallest ducklings, but at the same time be extremely careful that the water does not spill heavily on the birds and they do not catch a cold because of this.
The best solution for feeding ducks is the auto-drinker, which in size and placement should correspond to the number of individuals and their age.
Nippelnaya drinking bowl for ducks is most convenient, but most difficult in terms of doing it yourself. If you want to do it yourself, you will need:
- nipples. If you make a drinker in order to provide power to not very small ducklings, then you will need a nipple 1800, working from a bottom-up movement, and for feeding ducklings - nipple 3600, respectively
- square tube 2.2 2.2 cm with internal grooves. When purchasing, be sure to consider the length and remember that the distance between the nipples should be at least 30 cm,
- drip pans or micro bowls,
- silencer under the phone,
- an adapter connecting square to round pipes,
- hose and container under the liquid, if you do not connect the drinker to the water supply system,
- 9 mm drill bit
- conical tap for thread.
Now we can get to work, she includes the following stages:
- mark the drilling points on the pipe and drill holes 9 mm in diameter on them,
- cut the threads in the holes with a tapered tap and twist the nipples,
- Prepare a container under the water, for example, a plastic tank with a lid and make a hole at its bottom that will correspond to the diameter of the discharge hose. You can cut the thread, and you can insert a hose
- wind the joints with Teflon tape, as well as other places that are dangerous from the point of view of water leakage,
- fasten the microchips under the nipples 1800 or drift eliminators under the nipples 3600 on the pipe. The tube with nipples should be attached horizontally at a convenient height in terms of access by wefts,
- above the pipe with nipples we put the tank, it is better to do it indoors so that the liquid in it does not freeze in the cold. If there is a risk of freezing, then a special aquarium heater can be placed in the water.
Do-it-yourself vacuum drinker
Drinking bird from a vacuum is quite simple in terms of construction, but at the same time it is in operation no worse than nipple, which is quite difficult to do.
Vacuum Trough has several manufacturing options. The simplest is a plastic bottle-based drinker:
- take a bottle of the right size and small pan. It can be purchased in finished form or adapt any plastic container,
- attach the bottle to the wall with a wire frame or metal profiles
- Pour water into the bottle and twist the lid,
- put the bottle in the frame upside down,
- place a tray under the bottle so that there is a small space between the bottom and the neck,
- so that the water does not overflow, the sides of the bowl must be above the level of the neck,
- open the lid, and the drinking bowl is ready.
Design features of drinking trough for adult ducks
Primary requirements to the duck feeder such:
- ease of use
- food convenience
- no filling problems,
- easy cleaning and disinfection.
The material must be strong and durable. The hands can make a drinker for a small flock of birds. The most common option is a trough-shaped wood drinker, which is suitable for dry fodder or wet mash. To prevent the loss of feed, the drinker should be filled to a third, and then, if necessary, update it.
For ducks best suited elongated tanks with high walls, bumpers in them are needed for the purpose of protection so that the bird does not trample the food when climbing inside.
How to make a duck feeder
Duck feeders are divided into three categories according to the type of feed they consume:
- for green feed,
Also, the feeder must match the age of the birds. For example, one adult duck should be laid out dry food at 6 cm in length, and wet - 15 cm, respectively.
Top is nailed on top, which will serve as a handle to carry and prevent trampling feed. The length of the feeder is on average meter, width - 25 cm, and depth - 20 cm, respectively.
It is desirable to divide the feeder into several compartments, this allows to allocate space for different types of feed for birds. Then the structure is hung on the wall about 20 cm from the floor level.
It is best to use wood for the feeders, since ducks mainly feed on dry mineral feed. But for wet food use metal feeders.
Feeding trough is done like this:
- take the wooden boards of the right size,
- hammer them with nails at least 5 cm long,
- so that there are no cracks, process the joints with a primer or adhesive solution,
- set the handle so that the feeder can be moved from place to place.
As you have seen, making your own drinking bowl or feeder for domestic ducks is not so difficult. You will save a lot of money and provide your poultry with constant nutrition and grow a healthy livestock.