Red currant is not as aromatic as black, but it also has its admirers, especially since it ripens earlier than black, and the harvest of early varieties of red currant can be removed almost simultaneously with strawberries. Red currant berries firmly hold on the branches, which allows you to harvest the crop almost without loss.
Red currant is slightly inferior to black currant in the number of useful substances. But it is also rich in vitamin C, A, P, organic acids, sugars, pectin. It contains potassium, iron, coumarins, tannins.
Red currant berries have a choleretic effect, as well as assist in the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases.
They quench thirst, are a good diaphoretic and antipyretic for colds.
Red currant jam syrup is used instead of dye. They tint creams, glazes, and the jelly is used for layer cakes, gingerbread, gingerbread.
Red Currant Jam: First Recipe
- Red currants,
- sugar - 1.3-1.5 kg per 1 liter of juice,
- water - 200-300 ml.
- Berries sort out, cut off the twigs. Rinse under running water.
- Put in pan. Pour water, not counting the number of berries. It is only needed so that the berries are not burnt.
- Put it on the fire and, stirring it, boil until the cracks appear on the berries.
- Quickly cool the currant in a bowl of cold water.
- Grind with a wooden crush to a state of mashed potatoes. Squeeze the juice.
- Add sugar to the juice at the rate. Stir thoroughly. Put on the fire, bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Prepare sterile jars that need to be pre-washed, steam-cooked, and then calcined in an oven to dry.
- Pour hot juice into heated jars. Leave uncovered until cool.
- Frozen jelly cover with parchment paper or tracing paper.
Jam - jelly: second recipe
- red currant - 1 kg,
- sugar - 1 kg
- pectin - 3 tsp,
- Sort out redcurrant, rinse under running water. Remove the twigs.
- Put the berries in the pan. Pour some water - it should only lightly cover them. Put on a moderate fire. Then reduce the fire, and cook the berries until soft.
- Berries cool slightly, and then wipe through a sieve.
- Put the container with mashed potatoes on the fire, put sugar and pectin. Bring to a boil, removing the foam. Boil to the desired thickness, taking into account the fact that the cooled jam becomes thicker.
- Prepare sterile jars with lids. Prove them in the oven so that they are dry and heated.
- Hot pour the finished jam into jars. Immediately seal hermetically. If you do not want to cover the jam with lids, cool it completely, and then close it with parchment or tracing paper.
Red Currant Jam - Jelly: Third Recipe
- red currant - 1 kg,
- sugar - 1 kg
- water - 200 ml.
- Berry berries, rinse under running cold water. Twigs can not be removed.
- Fold the berries in the cooking basin. Pour sugar. Stir. After a few minutes, mix again.
- Add water. On medium heat bring to a boil, stirring and removing the foam. Reduce the fire and boil the jam for another 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Hot rub through a sieve. Immediately place in sterile, dry, hot cans.
- Hermetically close the covers. Turn the cans upside down and cool in this position.
Red Currant Jam - Red Currant Jelly: The Fourth Recipe
- red currant - 1 kg,
- sugar - 1 kg.
- Berries sort out, remove the stem. Rinse in cold water.
- Pour into the cooking basin. Put the sugar. Leave until the berry gives juice. It can be mixed periodically.
- Place a bowl of berries on the stove and, over medium heat, bring to a boil, removing the foam. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Hot rub through a sieve.
- Spread in sterile jars. Cool it down. Close the parchment.
Red Currant Jam without Cooking
- red currant - 1 kg,
- sugar - 1 kg.
- Berry berries, rinse under running water. Twigs can not be removed.
- Fold the currants in a colander and pour boiling water several times to soften the berries.
- Prepared berries in small portions, place in a sieve and wipe in a bowl.
- Pour the puree into a large container. Put the sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves almost completely.
- Prepare sterile jars and lids. Warm them in the oven.
- Put the jam in them. Close the lids. Store in the refrigerator.
Red Currant Blanks
This berry is one of the most common. It is used to prepare a variety of desserts, such as jam or jam-jelly, compotes, marmalade, jam or jam. This allows you to save the harvest before winter, because it will not be fresh for a long time. Red currant brings no less good than black. Especially a lot of vitamin C in it, because of what it is used for bleeding, fever, as a diuretic and diaphoretic. To make red currant jam for the winter, you first need to harvest the crop correctly and in time, and then prepare it.
How to choose berries for currant jam for the winter
These berries quickly perespevayut, because of what they become soft. It is necessary to collect them on time and immediately make blanks. Crop need to sort out, removing the stalk, husk, leaves and other debris. It is better to do this with gauze or a small sieve. Several sprigs can be left, but then there is a risk that the jam will not last so long. Processing should be carried out very carefully, so as not to touch the soft skin. For too long, keep the fruit in the water is not worth it, you need to rinse them and arrange in a single layer on a napkin to drain the liquid.
Preparation of cans for canning
To roll up the red currant jam for the period of winter, you need to put it in sterilized glass jars. To do this, they are heated in a microwave or oven. In addition to this option, there is a method of sterilization over steam. Simultaneously with this procedure you need to do the same with the covers. Only here for sterilization is necessary to boil water. Then put the caps on it for a few seconds. This should be done immediately before the seaming.
Red currant recipes for winter
The essential ingredient of any jam is sugar. Its quantity depends on the specific method of preparation. In the recipe blanks with such a berry sugar may need a little more, because this berry has a sour taste. The optimal ratio is 1: 1.5. Although those who like a more sour taste, you can take sugar and berries in a ratio of 1: 1. It is important to respect the cooking time. In traditional recipes of currant jam, it does not last more than 15 minutes. There are also faster methods of cooking, for example, completely without cooking. This and other options are presented below.
How to make red currant jam 5-minute
The easiest among the recipes of red currant jam for the winter - "Five minutes". Here the delicacy is subjected to very short heat treatment, so a little more sugar is required. The list of necessary ingredients is as follows:
- sugar - 1.5 kg,
- water - 1 cup,
- berries - 1 kg.
Preparation of delicacy is carried out in several stages:
- Syrup preparation. To do this, bring water to a boil, add sugar and boil to dissolve this ingredient.
- Introduction of berries. After boiling the syrup, add the fruit, then boil the treat for 5 minutes, while constantly stirring.
- Rolling up The finished delicacy is poured into sterilized jars, tightly covered with lids.
Currant jam without cooking
Of all the methods of cooking currant jam, this can be considered the simplest, because the stage of heat treatment of berries is excluded. For this reason, a different amount of granulated sugar will be required for the finished product to be stored longer. Caloric content is higher than that of ordinary jam. The list of ingredients is as follows:
- granulated sugar - 2 kg,
- currant - 1 kg.
The preparation of delicacies is very simple. For this you need:
- The harvested crop to sort, wash and dry, then grind with a meat grinder or blender. You can grind through a sieve instead. Press the cake, because it remains juice.
- Pour the sugar into the puree, mix the mass with a wooden spoon until the sweet ingredient is completely dissolved.
- Arrange the berry puree on banks, roll up sterile covers.
This method of preparation is also called "cold jam", due to the fact that there is no heat treatment of products. Here you can use the usual tolkushkoy, rather than a meat grinder or blender. The latter device is not recommended to be used, because part of vitamin C is destroyed because of it. “Cold jam” can not only be rolled up into jars, but also saved until winter in the freezer.
Cook red currant jelly
At the very beginning of the story, I noted that the fruits of this berry contain a large amount of pectin. Therefore, it is very easy to cook jelly or get real currant jam.
Try to close the jars not with ordinary lids, but with several layers of parchment. So, during storage, the moisture will evaporate, and the currant marmalade will remain in the banks. Which then can be easily cut into cubes.
- Red currant - 3 kg,
- Sugar - 3 kg.
1. Fruits need to sort, remove the leaves, bad berries and separated from the twigs, peduncles. Then take a bowl and pour cold water into it, put currants into it and overwrite the contents a little. Then fold it in a sieve and rinse the berries under running water, then take the time to glass all the water.
2. Take a large pot and put the prepared fruit into it.
3. Next tolkushkoy slightly press the berries to stand out juice.
4. Close the pot tightly with a lid and put on a strong fire. Wait for the mass to boil and reduce the heat. After 30 minutes of cooking, the volume should decrease significantly.
As a result, the berries should be well boiled soft, and a lot of juice will appear in the pan.
6. Now small portions of berries need to grind through a sieve. And do it carefully to squeeze out all its useful substances from a currant as much as possible.
7. You should have this berry puree.
From the remaining cake cook compote!
8. In the puree, add sugar and mix well, so that the sugar is completely dissolved. Place the pot on the stove again.
9. After boiling cook a delicacy for 15-20 minutes. In the process of cooking do not forget to remove the foam and stir the contents of the pan.
10. Prepare jars: rinse them in baking soda solution, rinse with boiling water and sterilize over steam, or dry in an oven at 130 degrees. Boil lids. Pour hot jelly into prepared warm jars, close and cool. Put in storage space.
Cooking jam in 5 minutes by step-by-step instructions.
Well, this is probably the most popular and classic version of cooking dessert. It is simple and allows you to store blanks for a long time.
- Red currant - 500 gr.,
- Sugar - 200 grams.
1. Measure out the right amount of sugar. Wash berries and remove garbage, twigs, leaves.
2. Put the fruit in a saucepan and add sugar. Mix these two ingredients thoroughly.
4. Put the pot on medium heat, bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Stir the brew periodically.
5. Pour hot treats into sterile jars and roll up, or you can immediately serve to the table.
How to cook jam for the winter of red and black currants
And here is a quick and tasty recipe. And still very beautiful in appearance, not a recipe of course), but the blank itself. Try it, you will not regret!
- Black currant - 500 gr.,
- Red currant - 500 gr.,
- Sugar - 2 kg.
1. Pour berries with cold water, rinse. Then remove debris and stalks so as to preserve the integrity of the fruit. Put the currants in a colander and rinse again under running water. Leave for a while, letting the excess water flow away.
2. Put the berries in the pan, in which you will cook the treat, and add a little water, put on a strong fire. As soon as the mass boils, reduce heat and stir the contents, boil for 10 minutes.
3. Next, pour the sugar and bring to the boil again, do not increase the fire. After boiling, boil for another 10 minutes, not forgetting to stir the brew so that nothing burns.
4. Everything is ready. Dessert spread in sterile jars and roll up.
Video recipe for making jam with whole berries in a slow cooker
Well, if you are lazy and do not want to stand at the stove, even 20 minutes, then try to cook a treat in a slow cooker. In this device, all the berries will remain intact.
When cooking using the following technology, currant retains all its vitamins and benefits to the maximum.
Dense red currant jam "Five minutes"
Here is another way to preserve all the vitamins due to the quick processing of the berries. And from this amount of ingredients it turns out 1 l of tasty and fragrant jelly. Also, the workpiece is stored for a long time.
- Water - 200 ml
- Berries - 3 tbsp.,
- Sugar - 800 grams.
1. First of all, free the berries from twigs, leaves and debris.
2. Then boil the syrup. Put sugar in a saucepan and pour a glass of water. Put the contents on the fire and stir the mass continuously, bring it to a boil. Sugar should be completely dissolved.
3. Now gently pour the berries into the boiling syrup and gently mix them.
4. Brew will have to boil and increase in volume. Therefore, after boiling, reduce the heat and boil everything for 5 minutes.
So that the jam does not “run away”, in the process of cooking the edges of the pan can be pre-lubricated with olive or vegetable oil.
5. On the surface you will form a foam, it must be removed.
6. Strictly speaking, that's all. Then hot treat immediately poured into sterile jars and close the lids.
If you want to get a delicacy without berries, then after pouring the jam into the jars, wait 5 minutes and they will pop up. Next, remove them and roll covers. Get thick jam without berries.
Rubbed currants with sugar - the best recipe without cooking and sterilization
Well, of course, the coolest option is when the berries are not subjected to any heat treatment, and everything is prepared in a cold way. But do not forget that the amount of sugar will have to be increased at times.
To find out the right amount of food, read the entire cooking method to the end.
1. The fruits are sorted and washed. It is best to remove all the twigs.
2. Cement the prepared berries manually, or grind in a blendar. And then squeeze through cheesecloth to get only the juice.
3. Next you need to measure the number of ingredients. See how much juice you have. At 1 liter of juice you need to take 1 liter of sugar. Mix the juice with the sugar.
Measure products not by weight, but by volume!
4. Now allow time for the sugar to completely dissolve. Once this happens, pour the syrup into the jars and close the lids. Such treats can be stored until spring, but only in a refrigerator or a cold basement, cellar.
Cooking currant jam with gelatin
I also want to offer you to cook a real confiture. Just add the gelatin and the unusual red dessert is ready. Everything is very simple and tasty!
- Currant - 1 kg,
- Sugar - 1 kg,
- Gelatin - 1 bag.
1. Berry picked and rinse, then dry.
2. Next, put them in a saucepan and cover with boiled water. Boil for 1 minute.
3. Cool the consistency and chop the third part of the berries (or all the berries). Then strain through gauze or juice sieve. Mix it with the rest of the berries and put it on fire again. Boil the mass for 5 minutes and cool again.
4. Then add the gelatin and bring to a boil. Add sugar, mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Pour the resulting jelly into sterilized jars and close the lids. Cool and store in a cool place.
If you buy currant berries in the market, then it is better, of course, to take with tassels. Just be sure to try them on taste.
From the sour, unripe berries good jam will not work, although you will have to add more sugar.
Using a currant from your own orchard, you can immediately remove the berries themselves from the twigs, so as not to go through them at home again, wasting time and injuring the little cubes. By the way, even in this form, they are perfectly stored in the refrigerator for at least a day.
Buy berries tear off with bunches already at home. After that, wash the fruit, placing in a colander, and be sure to wait until the water runs out. Cover the baking tray or tray with paper towels and dry the fruit.
Pour water into the ladle and set on moderate heat. Bring to a boil, add sugar and mix.
Boil for 2-3 minutes after boiling the sweet marinade.
Put dried currant berries into boiling syrup. Shake the container lightly so that they sink into the liquid, or gently mix with a wooden spoon (spatula).
Adjust the heat so that it boils evenly and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. As time passes, put a few drops of jam on a saucer or leave for a few minutes in a spoon.
Если сладкое желе не растекается по поверхности, значит варенье готово.
Washed jars must pre-sterilize. Dip covers for 3-4 minutes in boiling water.
Place the currant jam in a prepared dish and cork tightly.